“sunday breakfast.”
Review of Station Hotel

Station Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Dudley
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I pass the Station Hotel maybe 3 times a week, but cant remember the last time I went in for a meal. It could be that as its so close to home I dont think to go in.
Any way, as we were going to Evesham today we thought we would try the breakfast.
The Station is one of the oldest, if not the oldest building in Dudley, and is used for the starting point for the Dudley ghost tour. There are lots of stories about it being haunted too.
This morning there was no sign of any of that. The buffet breakfast was nicely set out. 5 kinds of cereal, fruit, and the usual English breakfast items. Bacon eggs beans mushrooms sausages toms, fried bread, toast and jams.
The room was clean and tidy, and the staff polite and friendly. Worth another visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank andi32
Stationhotel, Manager at Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted your breakfast was delightful. We have only recently started with our unlimited buffet breakfast for £3.95 per person. This makes us the most competitive in the area. We are proud to offer, not just the usual bacon, sausage, eggs, beans, mushrooms, black pudding and fried bread. We also offer an array of cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurts, jams, and juices. We have different fruit and herbal teas, selection of coffees and hot chocolate, something for everyone! This has made us very popular and do a roaring breakfast trade on the weekends and it's all thanks to our customers.

We look forward to welcoming you once again for breakfast, or maybe a carvery next time. Thanks again!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights whilst at a conference, choosing it simply because with an advance deal via a price comparison website it was less than half the price of the designated conference hotels and just as close to the venue.
To be honest, if you are looking for a glamourous hotel experience or oodles of fancy toiletries, the Station Hotel will not be for you. However, for just under £40 per night room only, I found myself in a surprisingly spacious and light ensuite single, with plenty of storage.
The roomy ensuite shower room was very clean, if a bit dated in style.
The room decor is likewise rather tired, and The Hotel Inspector would have had a fit as the mismatched hangers (my definite favourite being one that had been collaged with coloured pictures of footballs and smarties cut out of magazines - to be fair I didn't fancy putting my clothes on it but it made me laugh and I admired it as a piece of Pop Art.) But the basics were there - clean linen sheets, TV, towels, tea making facilities. Even teeny tiny soap and shower gel sachets.
Can't comment on the food, I didn't eat in the Hotel at all as I breakfasted with colleagues in their hotel.
Staff very friendly and cheerful, check in and out were both very efficient.
It's on a busy road junction, so not ideal if you are seeking quiet seclusion; the weather was very hot while I was there, so had to choose between ventilation and noise as there was no air conditioning.
Complimentary wifi is mentioned on the room info, I couldn't get it to work with the credentials provided and the receptionist said there was a problem on my corridor. So if connectivity is essential to you, you might want to check if your room is connected.
Very handy for the Castle, Zoo and the fabulous Black Country Living Museum.
There seem to be options below to rate the swimming pool and fitness centre. I didn't spot either of these.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for taking time to review and rate our hotel. I am delighted that you've enjoyed your stay over all. We pride ourselves on putting our customer's needs first, paying extra care and attention to those little things like soap, and shower gels in the bedrooms.

We are proud to offer value for money hospitality to all our guests, many of our rooms now have had a freshening up decor wise. It seems very unfortunate that your room still remains in the old style (with mix-match coat hangers) Agreed, it's a little cringe worthy and I have ordered the one you refer to be removed as it is rather offensive.

Thank you once again for your review, they are important to us here as we use them to improve our level of service.

01384 253418

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Comfortable room, loads of amenities, good food and friendly staff! Would definitely recommend! Very good rates for what you get. Nice bar open in the evenings. Exactly what I needed for a quick stop over in dudley.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Harry T
Stationhotel, Manager at Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to rate and review our hotel. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Thank you again for the review.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

On arrival the receptionist had no idea we had booked through booking.com! after a few minutes of her not knowing what to do I suggested maybe she called booking.com although she called another member of staff who instructed her to book us in, meanwhile a few other guests also wanted to check in, she stated they didn't think they had enough rooms for us all which made us feel so unwelcome. After a half hour check in we proceeded to our room on the top floor only to find we had been allocated a twin bedded room!!! by this time we had given up hope and didn't want to waste any more time walking all the way back to reception for her to tell us she didn't have anything else available. On check out same receptionist she didn't ask if everything was ok! I felt uncomfortable complaining to her as management have clearly failed to train her correctly! I complained via booking.com about 5 days later but was told by management I have left it to late to complain. I would never go here again I think it's a disgrace the hotel won't accept any fault regarding this! The bathroom also smelt disgusting like sewage. Overall very disappointing and a obscure way of dealing with genuine complaints.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you firstly for taking the time to air your frustration via this medium of Trip Advisor. We must apologise for the mix up when you checked in. Obviously anyone reading this review would be able to tell that the receptionist that checked you in was clearly training in her new role. I am not justifying this error, but sometimes on occasion things do not always go as they should, and mistakes happen. I am sure that if the receptionist was made aware of your complaint she would have endeavored to resolve it immediately.

You have said that the receptionist gave you the opportunity to express your dissatisfaction, but in your own words, you said you "felt uncomfortable complaining" However you did say that you complained to another independent organisation (bookings.com) to which are not part of our company, and now Trip Advisor.

Obviously we are somewhat limited to what we can do to resolve this as your stay was over three weeks ago. We feel that we haven't been given the opportunity to resolve your complaint directly with the hotel, customer satisfaction is important to us like any other business and please accept our apologies once again.

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed for one night with 13 other girls for the haunted experience, bedrooms are dated but that's what I loved about the hotel, we stayed in room 217 and the bed was very comfortable and room very clean. The next morning we all paid 7 pound each for breakfast as we up for breakfast everything was cold and not cooked, we had to wait for out tea and coffee we didn't end up getting until we finished what we ate of our breakfast, after a few of us complaining about how horrible the breakfast was they finely agreed to give us half the money back, we had a great time at this hotel and we would go back but I would not recommend the breakfast.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lisa1127
Stationhotel, Manager at Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback though Trip Advisor. As a small business we are grateful. Without such feedback we cannot know where we are going wrong. I am mortified that you had a terrible experience with our breakfast. Your feedback has been passed onto our chef who was on duty. You have clearly highlighted a training issue that we will address immediately.

Sometimes on occasions, any business can get it wrong. I am a firm believer that when these situations arise, they are resolved immediately, as I believe in this case it was resolved by our Duty Manager.

Please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of the Station Hotel for falling short of your expectations. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

The Station Hotel, Dudley is well placed for the zoo, castle and town amenities. Our room was very spacious and overlooked the zoo and the castle. Only down side was the noise in the morning from outside.

Room Tip: rooms at the rear of hotel would be quieter in the morning.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank junebloor
Stationhotel, Manager at Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel. We are delighted that your stay met your expectations. We are very proud of our location; right in the heart of the local attractions, such as Dudley Zoo, Black Country Living Museum and the fabulous Merry Hill Shopping Centre. Our handy location and friendly service makes us very popular indeed.

Thank you once again. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Station Hotel in the future.

Best wishes.

01384 253418

Reviewed 27 February 2014

We attended the Station Hotel for refreshments after my fathers funeral on 25/02/14 and I cannot fault the service provided by Jason and the staff at the hotel. The afternoon was everything we could have asked for, Jason was kind and considerate to our needs at all times and readily fitted in with our last minute queries and changes.
I would highly recommend the service they all provided.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent heartfelt review. We only hope that we made a very difficult day a little easier. It was a pleasure to serve you, and your family. Hopefully we will see you again at the Station Hotel for an happier occasion. I know that the Station is full of some wonderful and fond memories of your Dad. I feel proud you have had the pleasure to listen to the stories.

Wishing you, and your family all the best.

Deputy Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dudley
The Quality Hotel Dudley
Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley
Travelodge Dudley Town Centre
Travelodge Birmingham Kingswinford
Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley
Holiday Inn Express Birmingham Oldbury M5 Jct.2

Been to Station Hotel? Share your experiences!