“superb food .”

Ranked #77 of 548 Restaurants in Doncaster
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Beautifully decorated Tea Rooms and Licenced Daytime Restaurant serving homemade food served to your table by our friendly waiting on team. Enjoy our renowned home made scones , all day brunches, lunches and Afternoon Tea, Daily specials board, home made cakes and puddings available.
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Have eaten here many times and every single meal has been superb. The fact that its very busy- even though it's not in a popular part of Doncaster shows it's reputation. Worth walking from the main shopping mall(5 mins). Service can be a little on the slow side at very times though. Still- the food is worth waiting for. Highly recommend.

3  Thank doncasterdarling

Reviewed 23 July 2014

...you're sure of a very good experience!

Which actually is a shame, because it could have been an excellent experience!

Of the many positives...

Woods is an immaculately presented tea room with a Georgian feel about it; the kind of place afternoon tea at three with a large circle of friends would be a joy.

There is a broad menu of delicious sandwiches, salads and main courses with an expansive specials board including traditional battered fish and home cut chips. I ordered a Chicken and Bacon Caesar Salad bowl with parmesan from the salad menu and chose French Fries as a side order (coming altogether narrowly over £12 excluding my pot of leaf tea).

The home made cakes looked divine and on a dreary winter's day unlike today's visit, I would succumb to a Victoria Sponge slice without hesitation.

Of the small negatives...

My plate was whisked away from me whilst I was still chewing my final fork full of food. A pity as the place seems to be on fast forward with the waitresses working at sixth gear. All the staff who served me were polite and nice but they really need to slow the pace down a little. Being asked if you would like anything else when you haven't even completely finished your main isn't all that great. Probably one of the reasons on reflection why I did choose to skip dessert!

The tea room offers moderate value though some may rightly argue that some dishes are in the highly priced bracket. If you're looking for something a little special, I wouldn't hesitate in recommending Woods. If you're just wanting a light lunch without fuss or frills, maybe other venues are more fitting in town.

On balance, I would visit again. This is clearly a very popular place and for a Wednesday lunchtime on a non-market day in Doncaster, the place was packed and a nice atmosphere ensued. Very good.

2  Thank Richthehiker
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I have been dining in Woods tea rooms in Doncaster now for almost 20 years, and it pleases me to say that the quality, service and friendliness of the staff are all still exceptionally good. I've just read a few of the negative reviews and I can honestly say in all the years I have never experienced anything other than outstanding service and food. The creamy garlic mushrooms on granary toast topped with gruyere cheese are simply divine!

1  Thank broders76
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Sat here in the delightful Woods tea rooms with my fiancé looking round town for a venue for our small wedding reception. Our theme is vintage tea party and this place would be ideal but it seems they can't think outside the box to accommodate us for a two hour 30 person event.

On the plus side the service is excellent and my Victoria sponge that has just arrived is stunning. Well recommended for spoiling yourself xx

1  Thank Lynda S
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is an exceptionally beautiful tea rooms and all I can say is I have visited Betty's Tea Rooms in York and it wasn't a patch on Woods Tea Rooms.

Woods Tea Rooms is great value for money in a quaint little place , the ambience takes you back in time and its lovely that Doncaster can offer this.

I thoroughly recommend this place !!

2  Thank debbie r