“diabolical customer service”

Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Doncaster
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“diabolical customer service”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I didn't actually get the chance to stay here, so I cannot comment on anything else but the customer service side.

I had booked two twin rooms for one night, month in advance. I get a phone call 4 days before i'm due to arrive telling me there has been a water leak and they can't accommodate me. The general manager sounded very regretful on the phone and offered to sort out alternative accommodation. She said there were two choices, both at a higher price, and i told her because we had another couple coming with us, I would need to speak with them first before agreeing to this, and not to go ahead with anything for now. She said she would e-mail me the details of the two hotels on offer. I never received those. I then find out she had booked me in a hotel at a higher price and I had not received anything confirming this from the other hotel, but they had charged me for the rooms.

I tried to talk to the general manager and she basically told me it was my own fault for not turning up. She was a completely different person this time on the phone. Completely unable to accept that she made a mistake. Head office are currently investigating this.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Ive stayed here for a few days at a time, on and off over the past 18 months. Initially, i was quite happy with the hotel, not like now. The wifi is non existent, but advertised as "throughout". No it isn't, its gradually got worse over the time. The rooms are ok, clean but one little trick missing. Remote controls to Tv's. The room i most recently had, didn't have one. How much taken for granted are these simple items, when watching tv in bed and having to get up to change channel or volume. Also being in a room, unlike the booking i made, which i was sure i booked a double bedded room / kingsize or something like that. I ended up in a twin bedded room, which also was interlinked with next door and the doors must be paper thin. You can hear the conversations and such like from next door. Not wanted or needed.
Breakfast time really disappointed me this time. Clearing of tables more or less immediately after a guest finishes needs to be installed, to allow guests who have bowls of cereal and toast at hand to sit and allocate themselves a table. Sitting at a table with some other guests half eaten sausage and bacon, plus tea cup isn't good and makes the whole experience feel grubby. leading onto the flies in and around the breakfast tables. An insectocutor device would make all the difference and stop them perching on the cups and saucers at table level. Again, grubby. Come on guys, whats happened to the hotel i stayed at some 18 month ago? On my own views and experiences as above, the hotel would only be my 3rd or 4th choice of hotels close by and at similar rates to stay if i had to.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Reception staff were very efficient and friendly. The restaurant area and menu did not tempt me for dinner or breakfast. Room was basic and clean. Opposite Lakeside shopping outlet and near Keepmoat stadium. Not far from A1. Strangely it has "ladies only" parking spaces. Made me wonder if this was sexism or for personal safety reasons?!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here last weekend as we were going to Doncaster Races. We arrived on the Friday evening around 8pm, as expected, there was no queue at check in and the receptionist was very friendly and polite. We had advised that we were celebrating our anniversary that weekend, and the hotel gave us complimentary breakfast for both mornings and a free drink from the bar each which I thought was lovely!

There are only 2 floors to the hotel. Our room was on the 2nd floor and right by the lift - this is very handy as we didn't have to walk down the corridor to our room, however we did hear everytime the lift was going up/down. The room was quite spacious, bathroom was on the smaller side to what we have had before at Park Inn's, but it was sufficient for our stay. There was no noise and I slept great, the bed was ver comfy.

Breakfast on the Saturday morning was not that busy, full breakfast was made to order and arrived within 10/15 minutes. Breakfast on the Sunday morning however was very busy and we waited for around 30 minutes for breakfast (This can be allowed though as obviously more stayed on the Saturday night due to the big race day).

Doncaster race course was about 5/10 minute car journey - only £5 in a taxi or 20 minutes walking distance. There was also a Beefeaters/McDonalds/KFC about a 2 min car journey.

Check out was by 12pm, which I think is very good, as hotels usually say 11am, although the maid did come in at 9.30am to clean the room so make sure you put the sign on the door! Check out was very easy and quick.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for someone going to the races at Doncaster or even on a business trip in the area as it is located on a business park. Do not expect anything luxurious or rooms with a good view, just a reasonably priced stay in a great location.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicola L
Lincolnshire, England
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I have become a regular in the last 6 months and the location is just right for me as we have an office nearby.

The value (when booked via a popular online hotel finder) is excellent. Don't pay £8.95 online for breakfast. Add it to your bill by paying £5 when you check in.

The evening meal I had on my first stay was dreadful and far too expensive so I have eaten elsewhere every time since. There are a number of options on the edge of the Lakeside shopping centre within 5 mins walk.

There is £2.50 full access to a wonderful Nuffield gym down the road when you check in. (I've scored the Nuffield's gym and swimming pool in my review although the Park Inn itself doesn't have these).

The reception staff are efficient and friendly in my experience.
The breakfasts are nothing special but perfectly acceptable.
The rooms are large and well-equipped.
I love the large shower cubicle.
No complaints on cleanliness and the towels are fluffy - always a good sign!

Room Tip: Odd numbers are quieter. Ground floor rooms are available. Lift available to the 2 upper floors.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank nigelw101
Thornham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

stayed here as was going to the Doncaster Dome, found hotel easy and the staff very friendly bar was very pleasant and the room was light and airy, usually stay at the Radisson Blu and found these very pleasant as first time we had used found bed very comfortable

Room Tip: easy to get to Dome and other main areas
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
dumfriesshire
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights whilst going to Races . Room spacious and very clean . Staff very friendly and helpful . Did not eat here as the reviews regarding food put us off eating here . Beds very uncomfortable . . Taxi into town centre on £4 and Taxi to racecourse only £5 . Well situated for our needs .

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple