“Not a hotel and poor”

Ranked #17 of 24 Doncaster B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not a hotel and poor”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I would not recommend this accommodation. Its not a hotel but student accom, which is ok however breakfast ends at 9am and check out at 10am which could not be extended. Extemely noisy housekeeping who chatted endlessly outside our room.

Lots of hassle checking out.

When a function is on you cannot get a drink or food from the bar.

The room was clean but the shower was broken.

All in all a very poor experience and I would not recommend.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Manchester
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We recently stayed at the Stables on October 12th. There was a large party of 14 of us. When we checked in we were told that the bar was reserved all day because of a wedding, we feel this should have been communicated to us before our arrival. The accomodation was very basic to say the least, bed, wardrobe, tv and unit and is a fair walk away from the reception. Bathroom was adequate with a good shower. Overall the hotel staff were friendly but are let down by how the hotel runs, i.e. check out at 10am is a joke and doesn't represent value for money most buget hotels offer check out at 12 as a bare minimum, bar being off limits for weddings etc. We chose not to opt for the breakfast due to this only being available for 1 hour, plus there were differing pricing i.e. reception quoted 8.50 yet in the room the menu said 7. To summarise this hotel is very strict and offers no flexibility to meet the needs of the customer. We paid 50 pound a room which on reflection did not represent good value for money. The Stables is possibly agood wedding location but doesn't cater for its other guest with the (hotel) dorm, playing a distant second in it priorities!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 October 2013

These are rooms in a university very dated. When we arrived we were informed we couldnt use the bar as there was a private party. Late checkout not an option and breakfast finished at 9 which is a bit early on a weekend. Check out was ten but as our room was next to the cleaners room they kept us awake from 8. Very basic.

• Stayed October 2013
Doncaster
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night for a freinds wedding, as we read before booking the rooms were doubled up as student lodgings but at £60 for the night Inc breakfast thought was ok, the rooms basic with tv kettle tea coffee making facilities,ensuite bath/ shower and clean, we had a trek round to find the room but eventually found it, the venue itself was good the set up and service was ok maybe a little rushed but made a brilliant day for the newlyweds, the bar itself as last orders at 11:30 and for those staying in hotel still had to drink up for midnight so they can tidy up and get ready for breakfast, which was self service with cereals, yoghurt, a full English ( good sausage) filter coffee, tea, orange juice etc.
Just a quick mention we stayed in room 71 with a veranda across several rooms we left our window open as the rooms was a little stuffy, when packing for home I couldn't find my aftershave which I know I left on the radiator as the top was still there but the bottle wasn,t checked everywhere even moved bed, tables etc but to no joy double checked everything when coming home still can't find it, so a warning may not be anything but make sure you shut windows just incase

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Andrew S
Sax, Spain
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Stayed at The Stables for a very good friends wedding. The wedding was great, I wish I could say the same for the location. At £60.00 a night, this place is a joke, £30.00 is more like it. It reminded me of army barracks. The rooms were cold, stark and uninviting, as generally were the staff, especialy the bar manager who obviously thinks she is better than most and has gone power crazy - her attitude alone would stop me using this venue again for anything unless I was trying to punish someone. Visually a fabulous location, spoilt by unprofessional staff and a could not care less attitude. Avoid like the plague.

Room Tip: Do not stay here, better places relatively close. Avoid like the plague.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Eric A
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We have stayed at the Stables on a few occasions now when looking for a reasonably cheap place to stay in the doncaster area.. each time its suited us down to the ground.. we can arrive late at night if need be, its set in beautiful grounds and really quiet and peaceful..the rooms are basic but always clean and with a comfy bed and a tv with plenty of channels .. a generous amount of milk tea & coffee in the room which is great... would have no worries what so ever to book in to the stables..

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Huffyhail
UK
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here in a double room, bed and breaKfast for £60 after attending a wedding breakfast and reception here. No other hotels nearby within walking distance so no choice other than to stay here really and this is why they can charge more than a premier inn/travelodge for much much more basic and considerably smaller rooms!
The room was so small I had to squeeze between the foot of the double bed and wardrobe to walk around the room. The only place for the overnight bag to enable you to actually get around the room was on the windowsill!
No decaf coffee or tea provided in the room (im pregnant otherwise I wouldnt have been bothered) and no biscuits or hot chocolate either. The kettle was dirty and full of limescale with black bits floating about when filled with water!
The bathroom?!?? Well need I say more than the fact that it was carpetted! My partner returned to the room during the evening and the room handle came off in his hand! (This was reported to reception and to their credit they fixed it immediately). The room did not feel secure though as you had to deadbolt the door rather than just close it or the door simply opened by itself if there was a draft!
The rooms are not soundproofed at all and you can hear all conversation/movement outside of your own room.
All of the rooms are away from the main part of the hotel in a different "block" about 5 min round trip walk away at least.
I have said the rooms werent clean as you could see dust in the corners of the bathroom carpet (the carpet hadnt even been cut right around the base of the sink, exposing floorboards) and the grills were hanging off the ventilation units with some suspicious staining on them. I didnt go looking for dirt and I am certainly not they type to run my finger over things to check for dust but these things were OBVIOUS.
I try only to put fair, balanced and honest reviews on and had this room been priced at £40 you could understand the standards.
On the only plus side the wedding food was lovely and the breakfast bog standard buffet serve yourself cooked english with cereals and toast - no fresh fruit or veggie option but the food was well cooked.
Would I stay here again? No and I would never have stayed here had it not been for the wedding. Too expensive for the very basic rooms.

• Stayed August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doncaster
Best Western PLUS Pastures Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Doncaster
Holiday Inn Doncaster A1(M), Jct. 36
Premier Inn Doncaster (Lakeside) Hotel
Best Western Premier Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel
Premier Inn Doncaster Central (High Fishergate) Hotel

Been to The Stables Accommodation? Share your experiences!