“Wedding Reception ***** and Overnight Stay **”

The Stables Accommodation
Ranked #18 of 24 Doncaster B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 April 2014

So I'll split the review into two......

First - The Wedding Reception - 5 stars

From the moment we arrived, we were well looked after and all of the staff, headed up by Debbie, were excellent. No request was too much trouble. At first sight, the layout of the room looked like it might have been a challenge for the speakers, but I needn't have worried; From the top table the room is shallow and very wide and I found that it actually helped to engage with the audience rather than hinder.

In the evening there is little change to the room apart from the removal of a table or two and the addition of a small dancefloor. We had arranged for a trio to play live music but this didn't work out too well as the resident DJ had made sure that he had the best position. After one set, we abandoned this idea.

The key is, if you're planning to arrange live music, call the DJ personally in advance and establish some ground rules. Apart from that one disappointment, everything went well and a good time was had by all.

The wedding venue is great for around 50 to 70 guests so don't let what I'm about to say about the guest rooms put you off.

Second - The overnight stay - 2 stars

1 star is for the comfortable bed and the other is for the breakfast.

Basically, the accomodation is in the old hall and in the summer recess there will be rooms in the student accomodation blocks. It's basically an educational establishment run by Doncaster College https://www.don.ac.uk/university_centre_doncaster/campus.aspx

When we visited our rooms in the old hall we found that we overlooked some of the students' quarters and we witnessed a few of them turning up with crates of beer during the course of the early evening. This didn't bother us but some people may find it off-putting.

The big issue that we had was, on a chilly dank spring afternoon, we couldn't get the heating on and when I reported it to reception, all I got was a blank look and when I politely pressed a little harder "We don't have a caretaker on duty at the weekends"

Well I'm sorry but if you're going to charge over £60 for a double with breakfast then your customer service skills need to be a little better. All it would have taken would have been for someone to check it out and, if necessary, move us to another room. This didn't happen so we were cold when we returned to the room shortly after midnight.

Reported the whole thing again next morning to reception and, apart from a sincere apology, nothing. If you're at a wedding and want some good quality, fairly local, accomodation then I suggest you take a look at the Pastures Lodge in Mexbourough which is no more than a 5 minute taxi ride.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank john h

Reviewed 9 April 2014

WOW what a disaster. Judging by the pictures on the website this looked like a very nice place to stay. In actual fact it feels like a stay in a private hospital!

Noisy pipes, uncomfortable bed, bathroom light only goes on when the fan is on(and sounds like a diesel generator) Couldnt open the window, awful furniture and decor, terrible wifi signal, Very long walk to carpark, no signs/directions, walk up to reception not pleasant if raining, walls paper thin -next door had music on and may aswel been in our room with us!

Over all a very dissapointing stay, I stayed at a tavelodge last time and WISH id gone back there instead! Made the Travelodge look luxurious! The Travelodge was also half he price!!

The staff were very helpful though and the food in the restaurant is amazing. Very nice conference rooms although the technology would have been more useful if it was actually WORKING.

Room Tip: Be prepared to feel like you are staying in a hospital! Very uncomfortable. Makes the nearby Travelo...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Clair R
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Add my son's wedding reception on the 15/03/14 at the Stables,I had heard people say how good it was but they never told me HOW good it was. All I can say is the venue was absolutely fabulous.
The staff were probably the best staff I have ever known, they did everything to make sure the day was extra special. As soon as we got off our coach they had a red carpet waiting for us, amazing.
I would strongly recommend anyone to hold there wedding reception there just to make your day extra special. Every single one off our guest complimented how excellent and brilliant the staff and the food and the day was even some very critical people. you always get someone who moans. not one single person did.
We also booked a room, which to be honest we never stay there, we booked it to change into more comfortable clothing for the night do, but there looked very basic.
But please let the Stables make your day a day your will never forget

Room Tip: My ratings are for The Stables not the rooms
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Rooms very very basic&small.Breakfast was help yourself ceral&toast,cooked breakfast was 1 of everything.B4 we sat down we was asked if e wanted cooked,felt very rushed!!Not worth £60@all.Staff@ the wedding reception where very freindly inc bar staff.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

1. Staff check in and reception very helpful.
2. Clean
3. Parking a nightmare you can't even unload your stuff near the rooms and after 3 trips to the car I was not amused
4. If you have a shower it sets the fire alarm off and security hammer the door down.
5. Got 3rd degree for opening bathroom door and allowing steam to enter the bedroom.
6. Treated like a naughty student.
7. Not 5 mins from town 15 min drive
8. No wifi
9. No Vodafone or EE signal
10. Glad to leave after 4 nights.

Only given poor because of polite reception staff and clean room.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank KernowLearning
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Firstly, this is not a Hotel. It is accommodation on a College Campus. However, it is cheap, spotlessly clean, comfortable, well equipped and very secure. I stayed here for 1 night as my usual Hotel was booked out. It's a bit spaced out with Check-In being 200 metres away from the Accommodation Blocks. It's layed out in a series of Blocks with the top Floor of the College being residential. My Room was en-suite, with a comfortable bed and LED TV, Tea/Coffee facilities etc. My only gripe was that the wi-fi signal was not great so I found myself walking around the empty corridors searching for a signal. Breakfast (I chose Continental) was basic with Juice, Coffee, Yoghurts and Cereal. More than adequate and I can't complain for £35 per night. (+ a fiver for Breakfast!)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed here after a friends wedding and it was totally adequate accommodation for the price charged. The rooms were basic but spotlessly clean and the location is great as it's in a small village but easily accessible from Doncaster or the A1. It is not a hotel but is part of the college so may no be for everyone but we found it very peaceful and the staff were exceptionally helpful. I would have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends