“Good and will only get better!”

Yorkshire Wildlife Park
Ranked #1 of 52 things to do in Doncaster
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Went to the Yorkshire Wildlife Park today with my wife and two boys(9 & 12) as a last treat before we went back to work/school and we were not disappointed!

Pricing it up I thought it was going to be expensive but after a quick look online I found a voucher to get one of the kids in free so all four of us got in for £33. Some people might think this still expensive but it kept the chavs out (mostly) so I don't mind paying a bit more!

The lions are excellent, I hear what people are saying about the large enclosures and the animals being too far away but they were so much happier, no pacing back and forth and it was nice to see the tigers relaxing in their nice new purpose built enclosure.

Some of the animals were in enclosures where you were encouraged to walk amongst them and the kids particularly enjoyed this.

I guess the park is a cross between a zoo and a safari park, with you walking through rather than driving! There are more animal arriving in 2012 with the enclosure being purpose built in acres of space, if you could build a zoo from the ground up I guess this is what it would look like!

Can't comment on the cafe because we took a pic nic but there were plenty of other people using the cafe. Loads of pic nic tables, 3 toilet blocks which will be big enough fir now but as the park gets busyier they will need upgrading.

All in all we had a great afternoon and look forward to going back next year to see the new animals. As I said this place will only get better, visit with this in mind and I'm sure you too will have a great day!

4  Thank RogueHippo
Write a ReviewReviews (5,999)

Reviewed 31 August 2011

We've been here twice this year and both times had a fantastic day out. Definitely better in the sunshine but even without still pretty good.

Highlights of the place were "Lion Country" and the tigers. Both areas were designed really well both from the point of view of comfort for the animals and in terms of the view you got of the animals.

In some of the areas such as the wallabies and Lemurs you walked through the enclosure up close to the animals which was great for the kids. The new South America area is a great addition especially the monkey play area which you can walk right through. Really looking forwards to the new Leopard area next year if they put as much thought into its layout as they have with the existing areas.

The ranger talks were really well pitched, interesting and informative but accessible for our six year old.

A great day out, really good value and this place definitely has the potential to become more of a major attraction.

Reviewed 31 August 2011

I nearly didn't bother going here after reading all of the negative reviews but decided to give it a try with my 2.5 year old son. We got there at 10:15 on a school holiday morning and it was starting to get a bit busy but only 5 mins queue to get in. It seemed that there was a fast track entry if you had booked online and there was a cash only kiosk which got you in much quicker. We had a great time, although we were only there for about 3 hours (I think if he was older we would have had more time watching the animals and listening to the talks rather than "I've seen that one let's find some more animals"!!!).
We saw 8 lions, zebras, camels and lots of other animals close up. The tigers were lying down so slightly harder to see. There were several enclosures that you could walk around and touch the animals - we stroked a sheep, a goat and a wallaby!! Lots of staff on hand if you had questions and loads of places to eat picnics. We didn't use the cafe and it seemed quite busy at lunchtime, there was a stall outside selling hotdogs and burgers and plenty of places around selling hot drinks and ice creams. There were 2 reasonably good playgrounds and a few different places for toilets. It was £12 for me, and my son was free as he is under 3 so I think it was good value as it was very clean and tidy and all of the enclosures looked new. There is some building work going on at the moment. It isn't a zoo so it isn't massive but it was big enough for us. I would recommend a pushchair for toddlers as there is quite a lot of walking around. I took boots after reading a review of a bad path but it was just a gravel one like I would expect in a place like this. We would go again!

1  Thank 22JessC
Reviewed 30 August 2011

This place is so badly sign posted that it is impossible to find without a sat nav. When you do find it you wish you had not.You can see more animals in your local pet shop and get nearer to them.If you want to see an animal take your binoculars and you might get lucky.This place is so big and covers acres of land but has so few animals .They are dots in the distance. Its is a total waste of money( £12 pounds each) I went with a group of seven and could have bought a tiger with the money we spent to get in. I could not work out who was the most bored, us, or the distant animals.Take my advice and go to your local park as the ducks and squirals are more entertaining and far happier than these poor animals at the Yorkshire Wild life Park.Its a waste of money!!!

16  Thank PeteMc_11
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Did more walking than seeing. Very dissapointed in the land of tigers, There was only 2 but they were hidden in the trees. I would not recommend this place to anyone. We couldnt interact with the animals as we was not aloud to touch them let alone step on the grass without getting told off. My children couldnt wait to get home which i found disapointing considering it cost me £18.00 for my children alone plus £24 for myself and my husband. I think this place is well over priced and £9 per child is extortionate. And only 2 toilet blocks out the whole place is terrible..The woodland walk was a complete waste of time to. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE!!!! I definatley wont be going again..

10  Thank leanne g