“A little gem in the heart of Doncaster”
Review of La taverna - CLOSED

La taverna
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Great little italian restaurant in doncaster town center been there years osed to be called old viena
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Doncaster is lacking in good quality restaurants but this place far surpassed all expectations. The decor is heart-warming, traditional and romantic. The staff were fantastic! Both attentive and entertaining. We had garlic mushrooms and scallops to start. These were cooked to perfection. The main course of seabass was tasty but a little creamy for my liking. The monkfish with sambuca sounds odd...but actually worked a treat. The company, food and atmosphere made for a fantastic evening. Will definitely be coming back soon!

1  Thank emdembem

Reviewed 4 May 2012 via mobile

What a nice place to eat good food value for money great staff

Reviewed 1 May 2012

We recently went to the restraunt last minute as we had been to Doncaster Races. Granted there was 13 of us in total, and can appreciate that there maybe a wait for a table as we hadnt booked. On arrival we asked the waiting time for a table and if they could accomadate - the owner confirmed that it wouldnt be a problem, 45 min tops, but in the meantime please have a drink and I will bring some olives through, we thought - GREAT...... However we then waited 3 hours for the food to arrive - and when it did the food was poor at best. I had Peperoni Pizza.... how can an italian mees this up? The dough was uncooked and the topping was watery due to the amount of onions and a lack of peperoni - I have eaten better pizza from a supermarket! My friends too complained to the management as their Calzones lacked any meat! A table next to us also complained that the food had been microwaved.
The waitress was rude when we expressed our concerns and was more interested in using her Blackberry. AVOID !!!!!!!!

8  Thank ColneGeeboy
Reviewed 22 April 2012

The atmosphere was so friendly and inviting, the staff wonderful, the place just made me smile! The food was absolutely excellent and was very good value for money (£8 a meal) and you receive complimentary flatbread and olives, and everyone loves free food! Would recommend this restaurant to everyone!

1  Thank Paris S
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I visited this restaurant last night with friends, and feel i need to share "the best kept secret in Doncaster".
The staff were very friendly and attentive. The food was absolutely wonderful.
I have never been to this restaurant before and I have lived in Doncaster for most of my life, there were only three tables taken and all i can say is please visit! The staff deserve for this business to really take off and I hope it works for them. There is a real shortage of good restaurants in Doncaster and the surrounding areas, so there is no real reason not to visit! Please do and lets keep this restaurant open!