“Excellent stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Gringley Hall

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Doncaster
Gringley Hall
Ranked #20 of 24 Doncaster B&B and Inns
Spijkenisse, The Netherlands
“Excellent stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

After driving down from Scotland up to Harwich for a ferry crossing back to Holland me, my wife and a friendly couple stayed at Gringley Hall in Doncaster for 1 night in Aug 3rd 2010. It was a very pleasant stay. The full English breakfast was well presented by the owner of the house. We've kept good memories and will stay again should we pass Doncaster again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Nottingham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

We had pre-booked our wedding night here and when I came to confirm the booking a few months later the Hall could no longer honour our booking. As we are getting married in the local area I was really excited at the prospect of staying here. The owners could not offer me an explanation and left me feeling very disappointed with my dealings with the Hall. When we made the provisional booking we explained that it was for our wedding and even offered to pay a deposit. This was politely refused and we were told that there would be no problem. All I can say is that if you are wanting to make a booking then make sure you pay a deposit or risk being left disappointed with nowhere to stay.

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank brettandalex
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

Stayed at Gringley Hall for 2 nights before Christmas - fabulous, had the 4 poster room, which has an excellent bathroom, an adjoining room where my partner's son slept, all of which was clean and comfortable. Great breakfast, village and surrounding countryside has some lovely walks, all in all highly recommended, can't think of anything we'd change, we'll definitely stay again if we're in the area.

• Stayed December 2011
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

We stayed here en route to France and again on our way back. The house is lovely and the bed is very comfortable and spacious. Breakfast was a treat with what looked like homemade preserves and home grown berries. We run a small country pub, restaurant and B & B and we felt perfectly comfortable and well looked after - to a standard that equals what we hope to give our guests. Only negative would be that we could have been made to feel more welcome and encouraged to make use of the lounge area rather than just retiring to our room when we came back from dinner in the local village. Have already recommended to some of our friends.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

We called to confirm prices and to book a room and was e-mailed a booking form that was posted back.

We able to check-in whenever we wanted, especially useful as there was less traffic than expected. We arrived to find that we had been upgraded to the four poster room which was fantastic. As we were going to a Wedding reception we were given a key to let ourselves in when we got back.

The beds were very comfortable and shower nicely powerful, and we were able to open the windows which is a rare thing these days.

In the morning we had a fantastic breakfast for everyone's tastes and left thoroughly refreshed. Should we be back in the area we will definitely return and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James D
Wycombe
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

Gringley Hall appears on "pet friendly" websites and we booked a stay there after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor.

The booking process was easy and pleasant. The lady of the house was charming and we discussed our family stay and the dog accommodation. The accommodation was the most expensive we found in the area, however the rates for the dogs are the lowest - free - if they will stay in the porch or £10 each if they go in the bedrooms.

The house itself is an unimposing and attractive three story building set in pleasant domestic gardens.

Unfortunately from the moment we arrived we felt rather uncomfortable. A pleasant young man explained that it was his parents house and he knew little of our stay. He showed us to the guest room and gave a small jug of milk to make tea. there was only the one tea bag in the room and by the time we noticed there was no one around so we shared that between us. The room is pleasant but it feels like you are staying in someone else's bedroom. There was an old dressing gown hanging up and we could not hang us our clothes as the cupboard was crammed full of stuff that smelled of mothballs. The shower room was clean and tidy with just one loose floor tile and the room had a old remote controlled TV that we didn't try and some attractive furniture that is in keeping with the property. There was a kettle, the tea bag I mentioned and some cups and saucers. The property is not double glazed and the neighbours were playing loud music but that is not the fault of the guest house. As we arrived at about 10pm rather shattered all went straight to bed. The beds were comfortable but soon after midnight we were all awoken with the return of the owners. The gravel drive, squeaking stairs and floor boards and loud voices made getting to sleep again difficult.

The guest room backs onto some sort of industrial boiler room and so I'm not sure if it was the low rumbling from that, the aforementioned floor boards or the crying baby that woke everyone just before 7am on the Sunday - but we were up nice and early whatever it was.

To that point I didn't really have any complaint to be honest - its a guest house not a hotel - but on going down stairs to let the dogs out I felt verbally assaulted by the owner as he greeted me with "YOU DIDN'T SAY YOU HAD DOGS". I replied good morning and explained that we had discussed them at length with the lady on the phone. I was rather expecting a slight apology when he told me "NO YOU DIDN'T". I explained that we had chosen them because they advertised on the pet friendly website. "WELL SHE DIDN'T PUT IT IN THE BOOK SO WE'LL HAVE TO CHARGE YOU" was the reply and that was that. We packed and prepared to leave. Their own dog sleeps in the kitchen - not something we allow at home - so we declined a cooked breakfast. There was enough orange juice for two glasses - although there were three of us and the dog hairs in the marmalade meant that no one wanted much toast so that was okay. The Weetabix was nice. We found our bill on its own in the hallway - so we wrote a cheque and left.

£125 a night and I have not been so pleased to pay and leave somewhere for as long as I can remember. Never again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank diggers253
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2011

I was travelling up north for work and rather than stay in a faceless motel I stayed at Gringkey Hall. What a treat. It is a lovely old house in beautiful grounds. I had a four-poster bed and a lovely en-suite. Breakfast was fantastic - really fresh and tasty. My hosts couldn't have been more charming. HIGHLY recommended.

Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Richard_Harding63
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doncaster
Hickman Hill Hotel
BEST WESTERN PREMIER Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel
Premier Inn Doncaster (Lakeside) Hotel
Premier Inn Doncaster Central (High Fishergate) Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Doncaster

Been to Gringley Hall? Share your experiences!