“Scary and creepy”

Hotel Campanile Doncaster
Ranked #19 of 19 Hotels in Doncaster
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Oh, I was so pleased to get home! As soon as I asked the taxi driver to take me to the Campanile and he laughed, and mentioned "like something out of Psycho" I knew that there was something up. I really didn't realise that such places still exist -a draughty, exposed block of chalet-type rooms where bedroom doors open straight out onto windswept outdoor corridors and the elements. It reminded me of "Crossroads Motel" but without any staff, so more like a cheap motel from an American horror film, just as the taxi driver had mentioned. I felt very insecure because the reception-bar-place was the other side of the car park and my room door looked as though it had been kicked in more than once, and the lock was missing. It reminded me of a stay at Butlins on a school trip when I was little in the 1970s, and this place seems to have been built - and neglected - since that decade. OK, it had a television and hot water - but do we have to feel so impressed with that? I did manage to find the single electric socket behind the curtain, so I could charge my phone, but I didn't feel safe and I so wished that I had booked the Travelodge, which is new and set right beside the lake, as I stayed there in April. I thought that the Campanile looked nice in the photos, but when I got there, I realised that a few hanging baskets can really deceive me. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. We live and learn!

Room Tip: The best tip I would give would be to book in at the Premier Inn, brand new Travelodge or any other...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank AaronScott

Reviewed 6 June 2012

I am amazed at some of the comments about Campanile hotels. We stayed at this one before we caught our flight at Doncaster Airport. The food was great, service good and the room . . .what does one expect for the price? It had all the basics. This is the seond one we have stayed at and we would definitely choose another. For the odd night before a holiday or a couple of nights en route, they beat the hell out of Travel Lodges and Premier Inns whose prices certainly are a big con. Stop moaning!

Room Tip: Try their bistro, the menu is great.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Nice clean room ,Nice friendly staff, comfty beds nice clean bedding. But thats about all its got going for it! it needs a lick of paint on the outside to brighten it up it looks like some thing from dirty dancing 100 years ago. First impressions are not very good, there are not enough plugs only 1 per room which isnt good if your on a girly weekend. No atmosphere the hotel bar, no music etc. Not a lot of alcoholic drink choices although there was a list of drinks on the bar none of there were sold i.e malibu, wkd, smirnoff ices, vks, jacues! then to top it off it stated clearly in each room that breakfast would be served till 11.00am on a bank holiday but this was not the case as when we asked at 9.55 they said they had finished breakfast we asked if there was any other food available they said no so we had to travel home hungry. :-( which isnt good when you in a group with 15 hungry people. All in all wasnt the best hotel i have been to.

Room Tip: i would go for a double room even if sharing with a friend because the double beds are more spacious...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank bdayweekendaway
Reviewed 30 May 2012

If you need a base to sleep for a night then the campanile is ok. Bed quite comfy and clean, everything in room that you would need, hairdryer, kettle, toiletries etc. Bathroom had nice hot shower and was reasonably clean. Could do with a bit of a paint job and new carpets but for the price you pay its perfectly acceptable for a place to shower and sleep. Got taxis easy enough into doncaster and they were very cheap. Would stay again.

Reviewed 15 May 2012

we stayed at this hotel on a trip to the races. it was idealy situated. we were a bit dubious after reading reviews but found it to be clean and minermally furnished. it suited our need for a base to stay. Reception come restaurant come bar was not the best so we went into center.Taxi,s were cheap and very efficient. less than half the price of railway taxi,s. I would stay there again if i only wanted a base to sleep.

Reviewed 6 May 2012

Located on Doncaster’s Lakeside development, tucked away behind the Doncaster Dome the Campanile is about a 10 minute walk to Doncaster Racecourse and a similar 10 minutes in the other direction to Doncaster Rovers FC’s Keepmoat Stadium. However the town centre is a good 30/40 minute walk or about £8 in a taxi.Theres a large ASDA supermarket 5 minutes away and a very nice pub (The Cheswold) nearby which did great bar meals.

This hotel isn’t really like a hotel. It’s a 2 storey block of maisonettes in a car park. The hotel reception is in a separate building across the car park and doubles up as the bar. The bar area and eating area were really nice although we didn’t eat in it. The bar closed at about ten ish so we ventured elsewhere. The lad working the bar/reception/kitchens was friendly enough but appeared sick off his life possibly down to dealing with the hotels ample amount of drunks.
Now first impressions was the reception was nice but this soon changed to oh dear me when we headed off to our little room. We were on the ground floor around the rear of the maisonettes which overlooked a small field. Not well lit and not where a girl should be on her own at night. The first thing to greet us was a kebab tray thrown over the balcony from above. To be fair whoever threw it didn’t know we were underneath but then again do you want to stop where people toss their rubbish on the floor. And he didn’t save us any kebab!!
Now we aren’t fussy folk. A hotel room can be a tad worn and it doesn’t really matter. However this room was filthy. There was a smell, don’t know where from but it didn’t go away. Possibly damp. The bed was fine. Sheets seemed clean but the carpet was rank. The room was no bigger than 10 X 10 feet so quite small and had a large window giving it a holiday chalet feel. Room had a decent telly, usual kettle with a biscuit and pots of milk. However there was no electric socket which is no fun if you have just washed your hair or want to charge a mobile. There was a small dryer on the wall but its more like a nail varnish dryer than something needed to dry long hair.
The bathroom was pretty disgusting. Mould and mildew from top to bottom. A brown gunge dripped from the ceiling above the bath and left you feeling dirtier than before you actually got in the tub. However you could clearly hear your neighbours telly through the very thin walls which leads us nicely onto the last aspect of this “hote”.NOISE.Again we aren’t prudes and don’t mind a bit of daft banter but some of the patrons this place attracts take it a little bit too far. Shouting and bawling during the night and we found one lad vomiting in a bush outside the reception.Ok the races were on so you will find groups of people full of drink who don’t know when to give it up. However in most hotels there’s some form of security or night porter. If this place had one then he’d either legged it or he was stone deaf.

So all in all not the most pleasant place to stop. It could be with a few changes but this place had the feeling of a 70’s Butlins holiday camp crossed with prisoner cell block H.Our advice is use the nearby premier inns as they are far superior. Might cos a tenner more but worth it in our opinion.

Room Tip: Take some Ajax and scrubbing brushes.
1  Thank julieslegs
Reviewed 30 April 2012

You know that it is not a good sign when the reception is actually the bar/restaurat combined. Yes this is a budget hotel and you get what you pay for but even in the lowest of low budget hotels you get electric sockets. This so called hotel offers free Wi-Fi however how would they like you to charge your laptop if there are no electric sockets in the room. Yes it is close to the races however I very much would debate the cleanliness and safeness of this hotel. My girlfriend and I booked it for a two night stay and checked out after the first hour and booked into another budget hotel which was much more comfortable and had electric sockets to charge our phones etc. and I have to say it was £15 less than this hotel so please shop around and stay away.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family