“Getting better but still room for improvement” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Campanile Doncaster

Hotel Campanile Doncaster
Ranked #19 of 19 Hotels in Doncaster
Barnsley
“Getting better but still room for improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

There's been some improvements since my first stay here but still a lot of room for improvement to make it a better hotel. Since my first stay rooms now have an extra plug socket, new kettles even though the old ones were fine & you now get two pillows per person in a double room & dare I say it the room looked cleaner than the last time I stayed here.

Now the not so good points, the rooms are still very dated & the whole hotel is still in need of a revamp, the TV's haven't been re tuned since the free view upgrade & most of the channels are missing & the bathrooms could really do with some new grout on the tiles but the worst thing by far was the mattress, I could feel every spring & there was no support in the middle, the mattress in room 18 was in very poor condition & could really do with replacing.

The only thing that kept me coming back here was the fast free wifi & good choice of tv channels but what good is that if you can't have a good nights sleep?

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the rear away from prying eyes
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I booked a double room with these guys and upon arrival I was told that the double rooms were all gone, but they had singles, they had tried to call but not left me a voicemail! The single rooms I was told, were the same price, despite their mistake. The room wasn't great, but I wasn't expecting it to be, seeing as it was only £39, they advertise satellite tv in the rooms, it's freeview!
I went down for dinner and the food wasn't bad, but the service was awful. I got the 3 course meal deal and opted to choose my desert at the end. Once I'd finished my dinner I noticed one member of staff clear a table, look at me and walk off.... In the end I took my plate to the bar and ordered my desert as I got fed up waiting (10 min) some other guys had just had their desert brought out and when I ordered my sundae I heard the lady in the kitchen sigh and say she had only just done one or something similar.
Mine came out drenched in toffee sauce and melted!! Blatantly the one she had made earlier, I took two mouthfuls and took it back... Then had to pay full price for the two courses I had as I didn't want a different desert. Avoid this place like the plague

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank BadgerOfPompey
Matlock, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Dark old fashioned MOTEL not a hotel at all, couldn't find a plug socket at all, we went to the races and its a 15 minute walk , rooms are small dirty and in need of a refurbished, very expensive at 65 pound a night when there is a big board advertising them for 39 pounds. We very nearly went home at midnight as the group of 20 ! have decided to have a party in every room they booked, will never stay again, save your money and book the premier inn and get a taxi to the racecourse!!!!!

Room Tip: There isn't any
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
GMdoncaster, General Manager at Hotel Campanile Doncaster, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are sorry to hear that the hotel did not meet your expectations. We apologise that you found your room unclean. I will ensure this review is passed and addressed with the housekeeping team. Had you come to reception and mentioned this we would have gladly moved you. We apologise you were not satisfied with your room rates. Due to demand on event dates and the fact that our hotel is one of the closest to the races rates can be higher on these dates. Special discounted rate are available by booking early on the campanile website. I am sorry to learn of the noise disruption. A member of staff is available 24 hours a day and the hotel is covered with CCTV, however despite these measures we cannot always prevent noise.
Please accept our sincere apologies

Best regards
west country
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

A Budget Hotel- not a palace! What do some people expect!!

My friend and I stayed for one night with our two dogs and were made very welcome by staff- especially Richard Carr who is a star! for the price it was excellent value, £33.25 total, room only we didn't take breakfast so can't comment. Clean, comfortable beds, reasonable shower and all facilities were clean. TV worked. Free WIFI also worked.

We needed more t bags and milk and an extra towel- no problem.

Yes it is Motel style, yes the room was small, yes it all needs updating.

It does what it says on the tin- somewhere good for an overnight stop. Good for travellers with dogs- grass behind and side of block and lovely walks nearby. Would I use again? For an overnight stop, yes.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMdoncaster, General Manager at Hotel Campanile Doncaster, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for sharing with us your vision of our hotel. We are very pleased to hear you were happy with your stay with us. I will ensure this review gets passed to Richard Carr one of my valued team members.
As you quite rightly pointed out we are a budget establishment (motel style where all rooms face the car park) and yes the hotel is not the most up to date in terms of decor (pictures of what the hotel looks like are available on this and other websites) The hotel does however provide clean rooms, comfortable beds, tea and coffee making facilities, free parking and wifi and we do accept pets, We also have a bar and restaurant which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and the hotel is centrally located. Rooms are available from just £29 depending on event days and the staff aim to provide the highest possible service.
Our guests comments always contribute to enhancing our customer service and we look forward to welcoming you again soon

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here and we found it clean with a comfortable bed at £39.99 per night, breakfast extra. It is a budget, yet it has functional equipment , heating and hot water. We were quite satisfied.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear guest
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. The hotel is indeed a budget hotel with the room prices to match. We are happy to hear you were pleased with your stay and look forward to welcoming you again soon

Best Regards
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Past reviews are far too harsh! This a budget hotel that only charges £39 a night. Two of us stayed for 2 nts in a clean and comfortable twin with a very good full English b'fast for a total of £113. Where else would you get that value? O.K. the facilities are limited but there is free wi-fi, plenty of parking spaces, and the staff are very pleasant and helpful. There is a small bar and a choice of meals in the evening. The buffet b'fast is all that you would want incl an excellent toaster! I would certainly recommend to those who going to Doncaster races (within walking distance) and those who are happy with cheap and cheerful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel. Your feedback as a guest enables us to enhance our customer service and make improvements where necessary and look forward to welcoming you at the hotel again soon
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

There are no pictures of the outside of this hotel and when we pulled up I realised why. It is a motel by the way, not a hotel, regardless of what they try to tell you otherwise. It is not "chalet" style or any other exciting buzzword. It is, for all intents and purposes the beginning of an American horror movie.

So, it is late, we check in, when we open the door it doesn't immediately look awful, certainly on very first appearance it looked better than the outside. That said, the lighting is very poor, which I can only assume is to prevent you taking a closer look at the detail of the room. The lighting was particularly poor as there was a lightbulb missing from a lamp by the bed.
We move our stuff in and notice on the way back that the room has metal shutters that can be closed from the inside. When we give the room a closer inspection we realise that there are suspicious stains on the ceiling and some matching on the wall. They look almost certainly to be dried blood (I cut dead things up all the time, I know what dried blood looks like). There's also a fitting missing from the wall.

So we go to sleep. I say sleep, but really I mean one of the least comfortable nights of my life and bearing in mind I have previously slept on the floor of a woods with nothing more than a blanket, it is almost impressive that this was worse. After finally drifting off, I was woken by a shouting man at 5am, thought fortuitously we had long since put the shutter down (after finding the blood stains).

I finally fall back to sleep after more tossing and turning on the uncomfortable mattress. I look forward to lying in, after all I work 6 days weeks essentially and have had 2 lie ins since January and this is my first trip away. At 9am I am woken by a loud noise. It is so loud that it also wakes my fiance who is a much heavier sleeper than me. He wakes up and says "is that a Lancaster?" (A type of bomber plane- very loud things) to which I sadly have to reply "no, dear, I think it may be a lawnmower". Unfortunately I was correct and as we lifted up our protective shutter it revealed just feet in front of it a man on what I suspect to be the loudest ride on mower in existence.

By this point I have had it, I am furious, so I go to reception and complain about the mowing and the blood stains and everything that is rubbish. I say that actually I have stayed in places cheaper that were far nicer.

So the man tells me that the mowing is done every weekend and that no one had ever complained, he tells me that since 9am is a working day time that is fine. I pointed out that it was the weekend and he says that most people are out by 9. I inform him that this is probably because they want to escape this awful place.

He generally starts off not massively helpful, but after a while offers to swap our room or cancel our second night so we can go elsewhere. We go back to the room to have a think and decide to stay simply because it was close to the races. The man calls and asks if he can pop over. He comes over, the mowing is still happening although slightly further away, he seems genuinely surprised at how loud it it and offers a refund on the first night and says he can move us to the quietest room and that there will be no mowing in the morning. We accept.

So later we move to a new room, it is certainly slightly nicer simply for the absence of blood stains. The bathroom tiles of the supposedly recently refurbished bathrooms are stained and gross. The walls and carpet have stains on, the kettle is filthy and the light fittings have a layer of dust that certainly didn't appear overnight.

That night it was quieter and we weren't woken by any mowing however we both had to sleep on my side of the bed because the springs were all broken on the other side, leading to another uncomfortable night.

In the morning the cleaning staff walked in on us naked over an hour before check out time, whilst they noisily banged their stolen Asda trolleys below.

In order to speed up their cleaning I decided to strip the bed for them, only to wish that I hadn't as it revealed red stains on the pillow and urine stains on the duvet.

Overall our experience was dismal. Receiving a partial refund helped slightly but even so the whole thing was awful.

Sure if you want to be close to the races and are only going to arrive hammered and leave first thing, you might be OK, you may not notice the blood stains or the urine stains or the uncomfortable bed, or the lack of adequate cleaning (so thorough was it that we accidentally left something in our old room and it was not noticed before the next people moved in). If however, you are looking for somewhere clean, basic, and value for money, you would be wise to turn around before you pass the sign that has been shot (yes really) and find somewhere further out that is nicer and spend money on a cab to the races.

At 110 pound for 2 nights it wasn't even particularly cheap. With the £45 discount is still wasn't worth 65 for the 2 nights.

And management, if you are reading this, it is all true. Your staff, whilst not rude, were not very helpful until they realised that I was not going to back down. I have photographic evidence of the filth and sound recordings of the noise. Your cleaning staff seem lovely, however they are either not being paid enough, not being given enough time or are partially sighted, I am unsure as to which, perhaps you could investigate. Also maybe stop them walking in on people.
I shall not be returning.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wakingdreams
GMdoncaster, General Manager at Hotel Campanile Doncaster, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a full and in depth response. Our guests experience contributes to the continuous improvement of our customer service. As General Manager of the hotel please be assured that I will fully investigate this matter with all departments involved and let me sincerly apologise for the experience you had here at the hotel. I think it would be best for all involved if you contacted me directly in order to discuss the matter further