“Useful location but definitely not the Ritz.”

Hotel Campanile Doncaster
Ranked #19 of 19 Hotels in Doncaster
Birmingham, UK
“Useful location but definitely not the Ritz.”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We booked an overnight stay here because it was convenient for the motorway system and not too expensive (£42 excluding breakfast). First impressions were disappointing. Like some of your other reviewers we hadn't realised that it's a motel, not a hotel, and its run down exterior didn't bode very well. Things began to improve when we met the receptionist-cum-barman (located in the restaurant) who was very friendly and cheerful. Our room (Number 1) was clean and the furniture and fittings were quite good enough for an overnight stay although the décor was "tired". In the en suite the bath, basin and toilet all looked new and certainly clean but again the floor tiles and the paintwork need to be updated. Also, the ensuite door stuck and didn't close properly. When we came back to the room about 11.00pm there was a thumping noise in the background, probably the beat from some "music" nearby, which continued past midnight. This was disappointing as we had to be up and away early in the morning. At first I thought the bed was comfortable and the bed lined was fine but then (again like some other reviewers) I discovered that several springs in the mattress were poking up and very uncomfortable.
I can't say anything about the food as we had to leave before breakfast (served at 8.00am on Sundays). Also we only came across one member of staff but he was fine and deserves 5 stars.
If you can overlook the defects and you just need a bed for the night this might be useful but I wouldn't pay more than about £40 - certainly not £60 as some people have found.

Room Tip: Room 1 would be OK if the management can promise that they've changed the mattress!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
GMdoncaster, General Manager at Hotel Campanile Doncaster, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing with us your vision of the hotel. We are glad you were happy with the staff, location and cleanliness of the room. The hotel is 'motel style' purely in its layout ie with external corridors and the bedroom block separate to the bar, restaurant and reception ( pictures of the hotel are fully available online). Unlike a 'motel' Campanile Doncaster is fully serviced in terms of its facilities ie Free wifi and parking, restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, conference facilities, room service etc,etc and we are classed by the AA as a budget hotel. The hotel is not as updated as some but the rooms are clean, there are full hotel facilities and the staff are always here to help. I can assure you i will look into the mattress in room one and replace if necessary. We hope to welcome you to the hotel again soon

Best Regards
Victoria F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Barnsley
Reviewed 18 June 2014

There's been some improvements since my first stay here but still a lot of room for improvement to make it a better hotel. Since my first stay rooms now have an extra plug socket, new kettles even though the old ones were fine & you now get two pillows per person in a double room & dare I say it the room looked cleaner than the last time I stayed here.

Now the not so good points, the rooms are still very dated & the whole hotel is still in need of a revamp, the TV's haven't been re tuned since the free view upgrade & most of the channels are missing & the bathrooms could really do with some new grout on the tiles but the worst thing by far was the mattress, I could feel every spring & there was no support in the middle, the mattress in room 18 was in very poor condition & could really do with replacing.

The only thing that kept me coming back here was the fast free wifi & good choice of tv channels but what good is that if you can't have a good nights sleep?

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the rear away from prying eyes
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I booked a double room with these guys and upon arrival I was told that the double rooms were all gone, but they had singles, they had tried to call but not left me a voicemail! The single rooms I was told, were the same price, despite their mistake. The room wasn't great, but I wasn't expecting it to be, seeing as it was only £39, they advertise satellite tv in the rooms, it's freeview!
I went down for dinner and the food wasn't bad, but the service was awful. I got the 3 course meal deal and opted to choose my desert at the end. Once I'd finished my dinner I noticed one member of staff clear a table, look at me and walk off.... In the end I took my plate to the bar and ordered my desert as I got fed up waiting (10 min) some other guys had just had their desert brought out and when I ordered my sundae I heard the lady in the kitchen sigh and say she had only just done one or something similar.
Mine came out drenched in toffee sauce and melted!! Blatantly the one she had made earlier, I took two mouthfuls and took it back... Then had to pay full price for the two courses I had as I didn't want a different desert. Avoid this place like the plague

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank BadgerOfPompey
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Dark old fashioned MOTEL not a hotel at all, couldn't find a plug socket at all, we went to the races and its a 15 minute walk , rooms are small dirty and in need of a refurbished, very expensive at 65 pound a night when there is a big board advertising them for 39 pounds. We very nearly went home at midnight as the group of 20 ! have decided to have a party in every room they booked, will never stay again, save your money and book the premier inn and get a taxi to the racecourse!!!!!

Room Tip: There isn't any
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
GMdoncaster, General Manager at Hotel Campanile Doncaster, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are sorry to hear that the hotel did not meet your expectations. We apologise that you found your room unclean. I will ensure this review is passed and addressed with the housekeeping team. Had you come to reception and mentioned this we would have gladly moved you. We apologise you were not satisfied with your room rates. Due to demand on event dates and the fact that our hotel is one of the closest to the races rates can be higher on these dates. Special discounted rate are available by booking early on the campanile website. I am sorry to learn of the noise disruption. A member of staff is available 24 hours a day and the hotel is covered with CCTV, however despite these measures we cannot always prevent noise.
Please accept our sincere apologies

Best regards
west country
Reviewed 3 June 2014

A Budget Hotel- not a palace! What do some people expect!!

My friend and I stayed for one night with our two dogs and were made very welcome by staff- especially Richard Carr who is a star! for the price it was excellent value, £33.25 total, room only we didn't take breakfast so can't comment. Clean, comfortable beds, reasonable shower and all facilities were clean. TV worked. Free WIFI also worked.

We needed more t bags and milk and an extra towel- no problem.

Yes it is Motel style, yes the room was small, yes it all needs updating.

It does what it says on the tin- somewhere good for an overnight stop. Good for travellers with dogs- grass behind and side of block and lovely walks nearby. Would I use again? For an overnight stop, yes.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
GMdoncaster, General Manager at Hotel Campanile Doncaster, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for sharing with us your vision of our hotel. We are very pleased to hear you were happy with your stay with us. I will ensure this review gets passed to Richard Carr one of my valued team members.
As you quite rightly pointed out we are a budget establishment (motel style where all rooms face the car park) and yes the hotel is not the most up to date in terms of decor (pictures of what the hotel looks like are available on this and other websites) The hotel does however provide clean rooms, comfortable beds, tea and coffee making facilities, free parking and wifi and we do accept pets, We also have a bar and restaurant which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and the hotel is centrally located. Rooms are available from just £29 depending on event days and the staff aim to provide the highest possible service.
Our guests comments always contribute to enhancing our customer service and we look forward to welcoming you again soon

Kind Regards
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here and we found it clean with a comfortable bed at £39.99 per night, breakfast extra. It is a budget, yet it has functional equipment , heating and hot water. We were quite satisfied.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear guest
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. The hotel is indeed a budget hotel with the room prices to match. We are happy to hear you were pleased with your stay and look forward to welcoming you again soon

Best Regards
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Past reviews are far too harsh! This a budget hotel that only charges £39 a night. Two of us stayed for 2 nts in a clean and comfortable twin with a very good full English b'fast for a total of £113. Where else would you get that value? O.K. the facilities are limited but there is free wi-fi, plenty of parking spaces, and the staff are very pleasant and helpful. There is a small bar and a choice of meals in the evening. The buffet b'fast is all that you would want incl an excellent toaster! I would certainly recommend to those who going to Doncaster races (within walking distance) and those who are happy with cheap and cheerful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel. Your feedback as a guest enables us to enhance our customer service and make improvements where necessary and look forward to welcoming you at the hotel again soon
Kind Regards