“Never again”

Ranked #19 of 19 Hotels in Doncaster
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Never again”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Easy to find but wish we had gone elsewhere. It was filthy, broken stuff in the room and filth everywhere. I dropped an earring on the floor and decided not to get on my hands and knees to look for it as I didn't want any of the filth off the carpet on my skin. I would not recommend. I am uploading photos showing some of the filth. I dare'nt peel the sheets to look at the matress, there was a brown smear up the wall next to the bed which looked like human excrement! At breakfast I went through 5 cups till I found a clean one and then the coffee machine was not working properly. We checked out as early as we could. I know budget hotels are cheap but you still expect it to be clean. Mentioned it on check out, the response "so sorry about that". We will never return.

• Stayed June 2014
GMdoncaster, General Manager at Hotel Campanile Doncaster, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
Dear Guest

I am so sorry to hear about your experience here at the hotel. Please can you contact me at the hotel directly in order to discuss this further

Victoria F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Teesside
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed at the campanile for one night prior to an early flight next morning. When we arrived we were greeted by the manager who was very helpful when we asked to change rooms as the first room offered was drab and dingy and not very clean, Sadly the second offering was no better but the only one on offer. I think the main clientele are contractors or ladies of the night, we were trying to get a little sleep but couldn't because a man had come back from a nightclub totally worse for wear and obviously could not remember what room he was in so he was shouting at the top of his voice "PLEASE LET ME IN" thankfully someone did at 3am
I think the hotel is well past its sell by date but as the saying goes "you get what you pay for" and as I only paid £32 I shouldn't have expected to much, but I must say I could not fault the staff but I wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are noisy but not sure about the upper level
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I have just spent a weekend at this hotel with my daughter. Upon arriving we were greeted by Richard who I have to say is a credit to the company. He was on duty for the whole of our stay & is a lovely polite, cheerful young man. Our room was clean, the beds were comfortable & the food was lovely. On our final day we had a little incident at breakfast where a glass broke as my daughter was using it both the duty manager & Richard were very helpful making sure she was ok & offering assistance where needed. The only thing that has stopped me giving this a excellent rating is that the cleaners cleaned our room despite us requesting it be left. But again full marks to the duty manager who dealt with this when made aware. Would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
SE UK
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My star rating is based on the price I paid - £39. Bear that in mind as you read on.
Back in the 80s and 90s I spent many a happy week in American budget motels. You know the sort - they appear on films as hideouts for the bad guys. Anyway, now you know what the Campanile Doncaster is like.
The rooms are drab, small and dated. The bathroom (I think I'd been given an accessible room) had a heater that would not be allowed in the modern era, a weird bath/shower/bidet (think very short bath tub with a seat that's impossible to use for anything other than falling over) and was even dingier than the room. The bed went boing but not as much as the one next door where a young lady was either very lucky or very expensive judging by the sounds disturbing my attempts to sleep. In the morning I was woken early by a group of tradesmen having a loud discussion for 15 minutes outside my door whilst the filthy exhaust of their ancient car seeped into the room.
That's the downside. On the upside, night 2 was actually peaceful, the staff are welcoming, the food is what you'd expect for not very much, the location is great (next to the racecourse, 40 minute walk to town or station and a bus stop outside with very frequent buses) and the parking is free as is the WiFi. You could pay a lot more for a lot worse.
I gave it 4 stars - it needs knocking down and starting over but it's cheap and cheerful and I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: To avoid fumes and noise go for a room upstairs. But note that there is no lift.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

On arriving I was a little oh dear it looks like a motel or Pontins in southport .
Then I went into the Reception/Bar/Restaurant the best use of space ever and was greeted by Zoe who gave a smile and gave me a brief run down of the company she was great
My room was basic but quiet and comfortable on a whole it was a great stay Thanks

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Damon N
Bicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My teenage daughter and I stayed here for the one night, 28 - 29th June 2014. We needed somewhere close to the racecourse as that was the reason for our trip, so being just a ten minute walk away with free parking and plenty of spaces, this fitted the bill perfectly. The double room I booked (room only) costed £65 for the night, a bit more than I'd usually pay for the equivalent Travelodge/Holiday Inn but I decided to go for it as the location was handy.

The hotel (although I'd say it's more of a motel) is shabby yes, as people have said in other reviews, it needs attention and a bit of freshening up/modernisation, but our room & bathroom were clean, towels & bedding fresh, bed comfortable - lighting very dim though, even when all bed side lights, main light and lamp were switched on the room was dark. Our room faced a large hedge so a lack of sunlight also didn't help. The grounds are neat and well kept, and staff very friendly.

On our arrival, we were welcomed in the restaurant/reception area by a lovely guy behind the bar, chatty and really helpful. When we came down for breakfast this morning, again a friendly welcome - told to help ourselves to the well stocked continental breakfast buffet (good range of cereals, croissants, pain au chocolat, toast, jams & spreads, coffee/tea/hot chocolate, juices, fruit, cheese and ham etc.) and within minutes of sitting down at a table our full English breakfast was brought over. Piping hot and well cooked, enjoyed it. On checking out, again really friendly staff.

I would stay here again, although that would depend on price. I felt it was a little expensive (£82.50 after paying the extra for the full English breakfast) compared with some of the other hotel chains nearby, so that would have to be a consideration. Overall a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a lighter room if you're spending time in it. We literally checked in, went straig...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank sallysmith73
GMdoncaster, General Manager at Hotel Campanile Doncaster, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time out to review the hotel. Your feedback as a guest enables us to enhance our customer service. We are very happy to hear you were satisfied with the free parking and the size of the car, the location, the cleanliness of the hotel, breakfast and friendliness of the staff. The rates at the hotel are dependant on local events and are generally higher on race day. There are discounted rates for these days available by booking early on the campanle website. I will ensure this review is passed on to all the staff and look forward to seeing you again soon

Leven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

on arrival was disapointed would not class as a hotel. our room had been booked for 2 month we sighed in was given key card to room 117 went to look at room very drab but was just going to make most of it.after long journey we decided to have meal before taking cases to room.on return we could not get key card to open door i said to my hubby i think there is someone in room he knocked on door and young french guy answered we said what u doin in our room he also had key card to 117. hubby went down to reception the man at desk said who sighned you in hubby said you did oh have to give u another room then. we declined and demanded refund. im sorry but in this day age i dread to think what may have been the outcome if all our personal belongings had been in room.ps would like to say french guy was just as upset as us.ended up expensive trip to doncaster as had to go to a premier inn wich i must say was a gret stay

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 597janetmoffat
Dear Guest

Thank you for informing us of your experience at this hotel. I can assure you that every member of staff does care about our guests and the security of their belongings and would want everyone to have an enjoyable experience here at the hotel. I can only but apologise for the one off situation that occurred to which you were fully refunded and apologies given. Should you wish to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel