“Outstanding food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Black Bull Inn
Ranked #23 of 508 Restaurants in Doncaster
Price range: US$13 - US$38
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
“Outstanding food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Stumbled on to this restaurant from the reviews on trip advisor as we are not from this area and didn't fancy going to yet another boring chain!! wow i was not disappointed. Lovely family run business that clearly focuses on quality home made food and advertises itself as using the best local and ethically sourced food. Extensive fish menu on the specials board and I had the seafood platter to start which was beautiful followed by lasagne. I have to say the lasagne was the nicest I have ever eaten. My partner had battered cod bites and then bacon chops. They don't have a separate childrens menu which is a bit of a shame as we were dining with two of our children so they ended up choosing from the starter menu. The portions are very large but this does not take anything away from the quality. It isn't cheap but its not overly expensive and to be honest I am prepared to pay that little extra if the food is so good. The family that run the restaurant was very friendly and hospitable. If there was anything that I could fault it would have to be the decor. Whilst some say it is warm and cosy, I would say its stuck in a time warp and is in desperate need for an updated take on a country pub instead of the chintzy 1970s current feel. That said I can't wait to go back because its the food that is the star of this restaurant.

Visited July 2014

Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
“Generous portions, great food and good prices!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We’ve just been to the Black Bull, Thorne Levels and had another very good meal.
As I have said before, this pub and restaurant specialises in fish and seafood, and if you select any of these from the menu, you will have a wonderful meal!!

We were a party of three and for our first course we enjoyed pate, calamari and a seafood starter. For mains, my partner and I had the seafood medley which was a huge bowlful of mussels, clams and jumbo king prawns served in a rich and creamy garlic sauce with a freshly baked bread roll. Our friend had jumbo cod, chips and mushy peas, again served with bread and butter. We were too full for dessert but enjoyed a nice cup of coffee to finish.

It was a very busy night, and there were only a couple of empty tables so it really is vital to book a table beforehand if possible. The front of house manageress and the waitress apologised beforehand if service was slow which was because there were several large parties dining, and they were running late. This didn’t cause a problem for us as we don’t like to rush our food, especially when it is as good as this!

Apologies from me as this review is very similar to my previous one, but some things don’t change much; the Black Bull being one of these!

In summary, book a table especially at weekends, and choose from the fish and seafood menu selections and you will have a super meal!

• Visited July 2014
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“The best food in the area so why does it have to be Fast Food?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We go to the Black bull at least 3 times a year as it serves probally the best food in the area and certainly some of the best food food we have had in South Yorkshire. The ambience is perfect, the staff brilliant and the cost remarkable. Unfortunatly this time we went mid week at 8:00pm and from the moment we entered the resturant to the time we they cleared our plates we felt we were in a race. We sat down in the bar with our first drink and the menues, before we could wish each other Happy Anniversary, the lovely lady was there for our order. As my wife is GF she confirmed that what she wanted would be OK. This gave me time to sort myself out and when the lady quickly came back we ordered. We both wanted wine and as we were choosing she was back again to say our starters ( Prawn cocktails) were ready. I said we wanted wine to be told they would take our order at the table.We were taken to a little balcony are which is accessed by 4 steep steps, and no handrails ( not the best place for 2 pensioners drinking wine), we ordered 2 bottles and started eating our really tasty food. Suddenly two already opened bottles appeared on our table ( no chance to see them opened or taste), as one was white and not very cold, I asked for a cooler. Literally as we put our cutlery down, both plates were removed and an ineffective air cooler jug put down. The mains were to die for and we really enjoyed them. Two other couples on the balcony were cleared away and from their comments, they were rushed as well. We finished our mains 47 minutes after entering the pub,and as everything had been cleared off our tables, we gave up and called our son to collect us an hour early. We will go back, we like the place, the food, the staff and the price, but in future we will make sure we are in before 7:00pm to give us more time to enjoy. We went back to our local and were even back in time to do the second half of the Quiz.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is the perfect country style pub/restaurant.
We usually call for the Sunday lunch. This has to be the best quality food in the area, super service and excellent staff.
Food is cooked to perfection, large portions and excellent quality. Definatly not a stewed tasteless carvery which seems to be the norm nowadays.
for anyone who appreciates good quality food this is a MUST....
Thanks Black Bull, keep up the good stuff.

• Visited June 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent bar lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We came here by chance after a gourmet weekend. The staff were most helpful in finding us light eats for myself and GF wife. Nothing was any trouble, we will seriously consider coming again in the evening, though about 25 miles from our home. Muni / staff very inviting.

• Visited May 2014