“Bigger than it looks”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Cantley, Doncaster
“Bigger than it looks”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We tried here on an off chance a couple of weeks ago, but they was full so had to go elsewhere, but we thought well it must be worth a return visit so we booked to go here last Saturday night for a romantic meal for 2. The service is great and there is a nice cosy atmosphere in the bar area, which is where you sit until your food is ready and then you are taken to your table. The food arrived fairly quickly and we were taken to a back room which was a little cold and not that comfortable but having said that, the food was really lovely apart from the steak was still pink in the middle of partners order, which she was a little unhappy with after she ordered it well done. But we both left fairly happy and would return.

• Visited August 2014

Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Young family”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We arrived at 6.50 after booking for 6.45, the young lady behind the bar was great and really helpful, but the service was very poor and the Manager a long dark haired lady was useless, we was showed to our table at 8.10pm with no apology, my wife basically had enough and shouted at them to be honest, my meal was ok not special, my wifes Beef Strog was lovely though, we was told to go and eat here and we will not go back, running a business is all about customer service, this place was shocking.... I run my own Company and would sack my staff if they acted like this particular lady.

• Visited August 2014
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Superb choice of dishes”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

A warm reception to an inn with great ambiance, with an extensive menu and specials board to choose from.One of my friends selected the cod bites starter whilst the other friend and myself chose the queenie scallops these dishes were lovely, for the mains my friends both had the wild boar sausages and I had the crab with exotic salad which was absolutely stunning to look at and the flavours were amazing. Finally desert for all three of us was white chocolate cheesecake which was the finale to a great meal.
Very pleasant staff, great service, quality food, imaginative menu - give it a try.

• Visited July 2014
“Outstanding food”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Stumbled on to this restaurant from the reviews on trip advisor as we are not from this area and didn't fancy going to yet another boring chain!! wow i was not disappointed. Lovely family run business that clearly focuses on quality home made food and advertises itself as using the best local and ethically sourced food. Extensive fish menu on the specials board and I had the seafood platter to start which was beautiful followed by lasagne. I have to say the lasagne was the nicest I have ever eaten. My partner had battered cod bites and then bacon chops. They don't have a separate childrens menu which is a bit of a shame as we were dining with two of our children so they ended up choosing from the starter menu. The portions are very large but this does not take anything away from the quality. It isn't cheap but its not overly expensive and to be honest I am prepared to pay that little extra if the food is so good. The family that run the restaurant was very friendly and hospitable. If there was anything that I could fault it would have to be the decor. Whilst some say it is warm and cosy, I would say its stuck in a time warp and is in desperate need for an updated take on a country pub instead of the chintzy 1970s current feel. That said I can't wait to go back because its the food that is the star of this restaurant.

Visited July 2014
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
“Generous portions, great food and good prices!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We’ve just been to the Black Bull, Thorne Levels and had another very good meal.
As I have said before, this pub and restaurant specialises in fish and seafood, and if you select any of these from the menu, you will have a wonderful meal!!

We were a party of three and for our first course we enjoyed pate, calamari and a seafood starter. For mains, my partner and I had the seafood medley which was a huge bowlful of mussels, clams and jumbo king prawns served in a rich and creamy garlic sauce with a freshly baked bread roll. Our friend had jumbo cod, chips and mushy peas, again served with bread and butter. We were too full for dessert but enjoyed a nice cup of coffee to finish.

It was a very busy night, and there were only a couple of empty tables so it really is vital to book a table beforehand if possible. The front of house manageress and the waitress apologised beforehand if service was slow which was because there were several large parties dining, and they were running late. This didn’t cause a problem for us as we don’t like to rush our food, especially when it is as good as this!

Apologies from me as this review is very similar to my previous one, but some things don’t change much; the Black Bull being one of these!

In summary, book a table especially at weekends, and choose from the fish and seafood menu selections and you will have a super meal!

• Visited July 2014