“Friendly hosts, lovely surroundings, uncomfortable pillows”
Review of Balmoral Hotel

Balmoral Hotel
Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #15 of 24 Doncaster B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Stayed here for one night in May.

The welcome was fantastic, the homeliness of the building was comforting, and the room was basic but adequate for a single night stay.

The shared bathroom was just across the hall, and I never saw anyone else use it while I was there.

The mattress was comfortable and it was a quiet stay.

Doncaster town centre is a 20 minute walk.

Just three things to bear in mind:

1) This is near the streets where prostitutes congregate. Being from Doncaster anyway, I was aware of this, but it still may be uncomfortable for some.

2) The pillows were extremely hard. This is fine if you like them hard, but I ended up using towels as pillows, as I simply couldn't rest my head on them.

3) The TV is tiny.

Apart from that, I'd recommend it!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Balmoral Hotel

Reviewed 1 May 2013

As an 'elderly' woman who travels annually from Devon, I have stayed at the Balmoral many times, & cannot speak too highly of the way Paul & Nadia & their team have looked after me. Excellent breakfast, spotless & comfortable rooms, always had en suite, & really quiet, despite its situation on the busy Thorne Road. Bus stop & service is also very convenient for non-car users & town is an easy walk away. I really do feel that it is a 'home away from home'. I would never consider staying anywhere else in Doncaster (& as I was born & lived there for many years, I speak with some knowledge of it).

Room Tip: Room 9 (en-suite) at the back of the hotel has a great view to the north across Doncaster - one can...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 March 2013

No thanks never again. this hoitel is right in the red light area prostitutes up and down outside all night, might be ok for a stag party but not for me walk in to town if you dare!very hard to get a good nights sleep! with all the shouting and cars hooting at the girls.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
29  Thank stan s
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Booked this last minute for the purpose of house hunting in the area but did more sightseeing!!!
Friendly welcome on arrival. Receptionist was covering for the owner who was away at the time.
Very warm & comfortable rooms. Plenty of good towels and clean (shared) bathroom. Spent a good day in York and it was nice to get back to the Balmoral which was clean, quiet and comfortable. Did'nt have the breakfast so can't comment on the food. It's close enough to the town but is peaceful.
Would stay again as a cheaper option than the York hotels.
Thanks.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank notforturning
Reviewed 25 October 2012

At the Balmoral in Doncaster, one feels at home the minute one enters the hallway. The owners are very friendly. The rooms are clean and very well kept. The bed was so comfortable I did not feel like getting out of it in the morning! Breakfast is delicious and tastes especially good being cooked by Paul (the owner) himself. I also particularly liked the location. The bus stop is right across the road and all the buses run into the city center and to the railway station. So all in all a conveniently located, clean , comfortable and above all friendly is how I describe the Balmoral.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Diana N
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I'd a planned visit to the Doncaster Tattoo Convention 13/14 Oct 2012. I looked at all the local hotels and equally read all the reviews here. I decided on the Balmoral due to price, reviews and the closeness to the Convention at the racecourse. I arrived really early from Dorset, however Janet who was in charge whist Paul and Nadia the owners where visiting family was the kindest lady. "Don't worry" Janet said bring all ya stuff in and I'll hoover later if you dont mind. Simply I could not have been looked after better. The Hotel was full with like minded tattoo addicts and artists from Argentina, Spain and the Netherlands as well as business guys. Breakfast was top banana and whilst there was fruit, cheese, cereals the full breakfast was better than some top hotels I've stayed. Janet looked after us so well you just felt like part of the family in their most amazing home with so much family history and artifacts. Having had a wonderful sleep and breakfast I stood outside the main entrance and chatted with Janet, discussed the world from family history of Doncaster (in brief) to does a tattoo hurt! A great second day was had at the convention and after a late night and a bit of a lie in I was ready for another traditional breakfast. This time met by Paul the owner who was a gentleman, so patient with some of the guys whose English tongue was not so good. All the same we all got a great breakfast and went on our merry way. For the price, welcome, accommodation, friendly ownership and home comfort to me this beats them all. I will be booking my one bed sharing bathroom again for next year. My thanks go to the friends I had the privileged of meeting especially Steve who I hope his life can be as comfortable as possible. Janet, Paul and Nadia please don't change what you have, it's just great and I will see you next year! Best Regards

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank 432Paul
Reviewed 22 September 2012

My partner and I had some business to attend to in Doncaster. We found this hotel through trip advisor, checked out the reviews and booked a room. We got a average sized room at the front of the hotel, it was clean, well furnished and had a four poster bed.

The house was lovely, period features, fantastic antique furniture, breakfast was great and well cooked. Paul the owner was very attentive and shared the history of the house with us over breakfast.

They did have some tradesmen in while we there, however work needs to be done and i suppose there is never a good time for this to take place if you own a hotel.

We look forward to returning on our next visit to Super Donny!

(p.s the sausages were ok)

Room Tip: The traffic from the main road can be heard in the rooms at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple