“Lovely hotel only marred by street noise”
Review of Balmoral Hotel

Balmoral Hotel
and 1 more site!
Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #14 of 24 Doncaster B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The Balmoral in Doncaster belongs to the 'old school ' of B and Bs - wood panelling, deep carpets, oriental meets Tudor themed decor. The entry hall is particularly charming, giving the impression that one has walked into a BBC telemovie about Henry the Eighth!

Our host was friendly and accomodating, even kind enough to offer breakfast at a time amenable to us on a Sunday morning.

Our room was generously sized, including a pine 4 poster bed and a large bathroom. Toiletries like soap, shampoo and conditioner were placed in our room, which also had tea and coffee making facilities.

The breakfast was basic but generous and very reasonably priced with a choice of a cooked breakfast or a 'light' breakfast (cereals, fruit and toast).

Our room was a very nice price - £48 per night for 2 - and we felt we got great value for that - in fact our spacious room and nice bathroom were cheaper than some basic rooms at large hotel chains in the area. The bed was also very comfortable and the room large enough to spread out in.

The only downside to our room is that it was street facing so there was a lot of street noise - cars and people - until very late Saturday night. Luckily we were up late ourselves but if we had wanted a quiet evening this would have been a bit of an issue. Perhaps try to get a room away from the street if you don't like noise.

Also - regarding the 'red light district - I don't recommend wandering down the side streets as we did encounter some of the Doncaster 'seedy side' when we took side road cut throughs. however the main road seemed perfectly safe, even late at night.

Definitely good value, and for added kitsch value, Balmoral was a set for Ronnie Barker's 'Porridge'!! Who could ask for more!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John_Moriarty_1313

Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed here for two nights recently for an event at the racecourse, it was ideal for what we needed. Don't be put off by the comments about it being located in a "red light district", there have been issues in the past but we had no issues in the two nights we were there (and we went out drinking until the early hours). I have no issues with either recommending staying here or going there again should I be in the area.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Alan190742
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Stayed here for one night in May.

The welcome was fantastic, the homeliness of the building was comforting, and the room was basic but adequate for a single night stay.

The shared bathroom was just across the hall, and I never saw anyone else use it while I was there.

The mattress was comfortable and it was a quiet stay.

Doncaster town centre is a 20 minute walk.

Just three things to bear in mind:

1) This is near the streets where prostitutes congregate. Being from Doncaster anyway, I was aware of this, but it still may be uncomfortable for some.

2) The pillows were extremely hard. This is fine if you like them hard, but I ended up using towels as pillows, as I simply couldn't rest my head on them.

3) The TV is tiny.

Apart from that, I'd recommend it!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2013

As an 'elderly' woman who travels annually from Devon, I have stayed at the Balmoral many times, & cannot speak too highly of the way Paul & Nadia & their team have looked after me. Excellent breakfast, spotless & comfortable rooms, always had en suite, & really quiet, despite its situation on the busy Thorne Road. Bus stop & service is also very convenient for non-car users & town is an easy walk away. I really do feel that it is a 'home away from home'. I would never consider staying anywhere else in Doncaster (& as I was born & lived there for many years, I speak with some knowledge of it).

Room Tip: Room 9 (en-suite) at the back of the hotel has a great view to the north across Doncaster - one can...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 March 2013

No thanks never again. this hoitel is right in the red light area prostitutes up and down outside all night, might be ok for a stag party but not for me walk in to town if you dare!very hard to get a good nights sleep! with all the shouting and cars hooting at the girls.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
29  Thank stan s
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Booked this last minute for the purpose of house hunting in the area but did more sightseeing!!!
Friendly welcome on arrival. Receptionist was covering for the owner who was away at the time.
Very warm & comfortable rooms. Plenty of good towels and clean (shared) bathroom. Spent a good day in York and it was nice to get back to the Balmoral which was clean, quiet and comfortable. Did'nt have the breakfast so can't comment on the food. It's close enough to the town but is peaceful.
Would stay again as a cheaper option than the York hotels.
Thanks.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank notforturning
Reviewed 25 October 2012

At the Balmoral in Doncaster, one feels at home the minute one enters the hallway. The owners are very friendly. The rooms are clean and very well kept. The bed was so comfortable I did not feel like getting out of it in the morning! Breakfast is delicious and tastes especially good being cooked by Paul (the owner) himself. I also particularly liked the location. The bus stop is right across the road and all the buses run into the city center and to the railway station. So all in all a conveniently located, clean , comfortable and above all friendly is how I describe the Balmoral.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family