“left in the cold!!”

and 1 more site!
Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #14 of 24 Doncaster B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 December 2013

we booked over the phone and told them we be there around 8am i was told the room might not be done but i said that was not a problem as we planed to walk into town to get some breakfast we arrived to find the place was shut! we went for breakfast and came back at 10.30 to find it shut! i went round the back and was told off a neighbour the owners were away for the weekend never again!! i have since tried to phone with no answer as they took my card details and said they would run the card if I did'nt turn up!!! (the very cheek of it) obvouisly the police will be called if they do

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank NE4bar

Reviewed 10 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in the hotel just for one night some time in June this year and we were indeed very very happy.

We arrived late (which wasn't a problem) to find out that our room had been upgraded from regular double to double with en suite! The room was really nice and cozy, with comfortable mattress, little kettle and tea and coffee for a late night cup...

Unfortunately, we had to leave early next morning otherwise I would definitely try the breakfast that was also on offer...

Balmoral is good value for money, walking distance from the city centre and railway station, welcoming and comfortable. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank godkus
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The Balmoral is in a very convenient location to my Mum's house, so we have stayed on several occasions. It is also convenient for the hospital, town centre and racecourse. Janet was welcoming and friendly, as always (Paul and Nadia usually seem to be away when we visit!).
We didn't need breakfast, just a base for a couple of nights and for this, the facilities (including en-suite) are excellent. Although there were obviously other guests staying at the same time (cars in car park, and some movement heard), we didn't actually see anyone else, it's a very quiet hotel.
The only issue was that this visit was in very warm weather and we needed to leave the window open overnight. As our room was on the main road, and it was a bank holiday weekend, there was quite a lot of traffic noise (including ambulances being so close to the hospital), which we are not used to. We've usually been there in the colder months and noise then isn't an issue.
We'll be back at Christmas, no doubt!

Room Tip: Room 8 is the en-suite four poster double room at the front. It's a little quirky, but comforta...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The Balmoral in Doncaster belongs to the 'old school ' of B and Bs - wood panelling, deep carpets, oriental meets Tudor themed decor. The entry hall is particularly charming, giving the impression that one has walked into a BBC telemovie about Henry the Eighth!

Our host was friendly and accomodating, even kind enough to offer breakfast at a time amenable to us on a Sunday morning.

Our room was generously sized, including a pine 4 poster bed and a large bathroom. Toiletries like soap, shampoo and conditioner were placed in our room, which also had tea and coffee making facilities.

The breakfast was basic but generous and very reasonably priced with a choice of a cooked breakfast or a 'light' breakfast (cereals, fruit and toast).

Our room was a very nice price - £48 per night for 2 - and we felt we got great value for that - in fact our spacious room and nice bathroom were cheaper than some basic rooms at large hotel chains in the area. The bed was also very comfortable and the room large enough to spread out in.

The only downside to our room is that it was street facing so there was a lot of street noise - cars and people - until very late Saturday night. Luckily we were up late ourselves but if we had wanted a quiet evening this would have been a bit of an issue. Perhaps try to get a room away from the street if you don't like noise.

Also - regarding the 'red light district - I don't recommend wandering down the side streets as we did encounter some of the Doncaster 'seedy side' when we took side road cut throughs. however the main road seemed perfectly safe, even late at night.

Definitely good value, and for added kitsch value, Balmoral was a set for Ronnie Barker's 'Porridge'!! Who could ask for more!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John_Moriarty_1313
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed here for two nights recently for an event at the racecourse, it was ideal for what we needed. Don't be put off by the comments about it being located in a "red light district", there have been issues in the past but we had no issues in the two nights we were there (and we went out drinking until the early hours). I have no issues with either recommending staying here or going there again should I be in the area.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Alan190742
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Stayed here for one night in May.

The welcome was fantastic, the homeliness of the building was comforting, and the room was basic but adequate for a single night stay.

The shared bathroom was just across the hall, and I never saw anyone else use it while I was there.

The mattress was comfortable and it was a quiet stay.

Doncaster town centre is a 20 minute walk.

Just three things to bear in mind:

1) This is near the streets where prostitutes congregate. Being from Doncaster anyway, I was aware of this, but it still may be uncomfortable for some.

2) The pillows were extremely hard. This is fine if you like them hard, but I ended up using towels as pillows, as I simply couldn't rest my head on them.

3) The TV is tiny.

Apart from that, I'd recommend it!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2013

As an 'elderly' woman who travels annually from Devon, I have stayed at the Balmoral many times, & cannot speak too highly of the way Paul & Nadia & their team have looked after me. Excellent breakfast, spotless & comfortable rooms, always had en suite, & really quiet, despite its situation on the busy Thorne Road. Bus stop & service is also very convenient for non-car users & town is an easy walk away. I really do feel that it is a 'home away from home'. I would never consider staying anywhere else in Doncaster (& as I was born & lived there for many years, I speak with some knowledge of it).

Room Tip: Room 9 (en-suite) at the back of the hotel has a great view to the north across Doncaster - one can...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo