“Swimming - filthy and run down”
Review of Doncaster Dome

Doncaster Dome
Ranked #4 of 19 Fun & Games in Doncaster
More attraction details
Owner description: Doncaster Dome is one of the region's premier sports, leisure & entertainment destinations, with over 50 activities taking place under one roof.Make a splash in the Amazonia Adventure; a magical 7-pool water world waiting to be explored or Cut the Ice in the Ice Caps; the UK's only split level ice rink with interconnecting ramps linking two Ice Pads together
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Swimming - filthy and run down”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I second the review lect recently.

Changing rooms - FILTHY dirty nappies on the floor. Chewing gum stuck all over the changing room walls. Just pure filth in the cubicles on the walls,floors,seats.Smell of stale urine really really strong - i didnt take my shoes off until entering the pool

Pool area - the toddler pool has a disused slide which is full of rust which is actually in the pool. Theres mould on the tiles in the other pool.the mat you get out of the pool onto i hate to think of the germs in that it was way passed its selbuy date. The toilets again stunk of urine. I saw one of the grates full of scum,tissue etc definately not just from that day.there is so much rust and paint missing throughout the whole swimming area. The top pool is probably the cleanest and best pool.

I could go on and on. I have never been anywhere as run down and dirty. If there was no water in it you would think it had been closed years. I dont have extremely high standards but wen u leave somewhere and feel ur dirtier tthan you went in somethings wrong. This was def not the case when i went as a child 15 year ago.

Visited July 2014
5 Thank sjmjoinery

Doncaster, United Kingdom
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Swimming”
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

The pool temperature was ok, I was with my 4 year old Daughter and she didn't complain. Overall I rate it as average as I agree with some reviewers in that it needs some refurbishment with regards to the changing area and the pools/slides. The baby slides in the shallow pool were not working and looked in fairly poor condition.

2 Thank Jason R
Scunthorpe
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The place to swim!”
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

For the last couple of months we have been travelling to Doncaster dome every couple of weeks to go swimming.
We have two young children who.love it here. We tend to go on a Wednesday morning. Aqua fit is on in the main pool until 11am but that's no issue as the other pools are large. The baby pool is great, our daughter particularly loves the slides.
The pools,showers and cubicles are all clean and well maintained. The staff are friendly and accommodating. Best of all the price is very reasonable.
We love the dome and we will keep coming back.

Visited July 2014
Yorkshire
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Filthy, tired and broken - only went swimming !!”
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Where to start -
Visited on Tuesday this week - went swimming before my child's swimming lesson

Changing rooms - dirty nappies on the floor. Chewing gum stuck all over the changing room walls. Smell of stale urine - just the kind of place you want to take a child!

Pool area - there are currently various attractions not working. Green stuff on the tiles of the pools. Part of the middle pool side is fenced off where the tiles have broken. The top pool is probably the cleanest and best pool.

Lift - stinks of a burning motor.

Prices - ok but I'd rather go elsewhere in a cleaner environment.

Customers - people were wearing t-shirts in the pool!! Many places do not allow this so unsure why the dome continues to let people swim in outdoor clothing.

Swimming lessons - I have only witnessed three. The first was good. The second started 8 minutes late and the teacher also spent time talking to another member of staff during the half hour session - I mentioned to reception who apologised. The third lesson there were two teachers both who appeared indifferent to whether the children swam or not. There were six kids cramped in a pretty small space. I asked one teacher how she thought my child was progressing - she answered honestly and I have taken her suggestions on board. She also said to ask the other teacher who replied to the same question along the lines of I don't know. There were only six children how can a teacher not know?! The swimming lesson prices are reasonable and many of the lessons are with fewer numbers and seem to be a reasonable standard. I like the fact that teachers are in the water with the kids. It may be that my child is being lazy, I will do all I can to help, but for the 30 minutes they are teaching I do expect more interest and commitment from them.

This establishment seems to be going steadily downhill. It could be a great day out but at the moment, through choice I would avoid!!

Visited June 2014
5 Thank burtYorkshire
Grantham, England
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Tired but good”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We went here to go swimming, although there's much more to the place - ice skating, fitness centre, sports halls etc.
My first impression was that, whilst well designed and great for the family, it had been allowed to slowly fall into disrepair. It's nothing massive or dangerous, just rust marks everywhere, paint flaking away etc.
The pool complex is a neat design, with an outdoors section, rapids, lots of waterfalls and a number of big slides. Sadly we went with our 3 year old and he was too small for almost all these things - the min. height on most of the slides is 1.2m, as I recall. If this hadn't been the case we probably would have enjoyed it and gone again but without the slides it's just not worth the journey time.
On the downside some fool had arranged for a DJ to be set up above the pool. As usual, the DJ assumed that everyone had turned up just to hear him play Aga-Do's greatest hits and that the water features were merely an acoustic nuisance to be countered by leaning heavily on the volume button. As a result you could barely hear yourself think.
There didn't seem to be many family changing cubicles, in fact we couldn't find any, which seems an obvious oversight.
All in all I think we'll go again when my son has grown a bit and when the DJ is having the day off.

Visited May 2014