“Fantastic family day!”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We recently held a surprise family party at the Angel and it was absolutely fantastic. Everyone working there went far beyond the call of duty to ensure that our day was nothing less than perfect.
The food, a whole sirloin of beef came perfectly cooked (pink in the middle) with crispy roasties, a huge yorkshire pudding and home grown veg. The cheese at the end was delicious and varied. The wine list was well put together and the hand pulled beer was the best I've tasted in a long time.
We were a party of 27 and Simone (landlady) and her team were faultless throughout the day.
I couldn't recommend the Angel highly enough to anyone whther it be a quick pint, a sit down meal or a family gathering. Thanks again to everyone at The Angel for making our day one we will never forget.

Simone F, Owner at Angel Inn Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Thank you for the review, it's always amazes me how people take the time to write them. I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit, and that the food hit the spot. We do love to serve succulent tender pink sirloin of beef, as there are so few places that do. I'll pass your comments about the cheese onto our Neil's Cheese Board, our supplier in Doncaster Market. I hope to see you again next time you are in the area.
kind regards

Reviewed 10 April 2014

We have family who live nearby to the Angel Inn so have visited on a few occasions now, returning due to the excellent food and relaxed atmosphere.
During our last trip we headed to the Angel Inn for a Sunday Roast, there was nearly 20 of us, we had booked well in advance as we know what a popular place it is.
The beef roast dinner was just brilliant, with generous cuts of perfectly cooked meat and a range of vegetables. There were a number of children with us and they were very well accommodated. We all felt very welcome.

I would certainly recommend this pub/restaurant for both families and couples after high quality food in a chilled out environment.

Thank you for taking the time to review us. It's always a pleasure to see you, especially to see the family growing up so much between visits. I'm glad you and the family enjoyed your celebratory meal with us, and do hope to see you next time you're across.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

A lovely old English pub with great home cooked food, very reasonable wine list, great beer and really good service. I've eaten here several times at lunchtime or in the evening and never been disapointed.
Dog friendly too!

Thank you so much for your review. It's always a pleasure to see you, your family and George (the labrador) and I'm glad you enjoy what we have to offer. If you can make it across for Bank Holiday weekend, we have a beer festival on from the Friday through until the Monday.
Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Visited with friends on a Friday night, our second visit after a lovely experience last time. Busy pub but had booked a table so no issues there. We ordered sirloin steaks and venison. The steaks were very good quality and cooked nicely but quite bland tasting. They come with chips and veg - personally I would have preferred a nice salad or mushrooms/onion rings as I don't tend to eat steak with carrots, broccoli and leeks! No offer of sauces. Desserts were ok but pricey and none of us were full after 2 courses. Overall meal and drinks were £130. Have had better value at other pubs in the area and for this reason can't see a third visit on the horizon.

Thank you for reviewing us again. I'm sorry you weren't happy with the steaks. We have been using the same butcher for the last 12 months and normally get really positive feedback about the quality and flavour of our meat. With regard to your comments about the steak garnish, our new Head Chef changed the steak dish upon starting in the position and put it with roasted cherry tomatoes (soon to be home-grown) and pan-fried button mushrooms along with our twice-cooked rustic chips. We are producing a full new menu in May, and your comments about sauces will be taken into consideration. From a pricing prospective, the steak and venison are the most expensive dishes on our menu at £15.95 and I am sorry to hear that you think our home-made desserts and sauces are a bit pricey at £5.45. I appreciate that £130 may seem a lot for a meal for 4, but this does include a drinks bill of the equivalent of 2/3 of a bottle of wine per person. I do hope you will return to try our our new menu and find it better value for money than on this occasion.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We went here for Sunday lunch. We were greeted with a friendly smile and the landlady was very welcoming. The restaurant was full but we managed to get a table for two. There was no beef as the landlady said what had been delivered was not up to their standard, so we both chose the pork. The food was ok, well presented but not a large amount. The price for the Sunday lunch was £12.50. For what it was it was a little on the expensive side. Vegetables were enough but quite hard.

We bought a round of drinks and these were reasonably priced.

We would return again. The atmosphere is lovely and for us that is 50% of the experience.

Thank you for taking the time to review our pub. I am sorry that the food wasn't upto standard. We take on board everyone's comments and have tried to make changes to improve things. We have employed a new Head Chef since you visited, and hopefully you will notice an improvement if you visit again. With regard to the atmosphere, we are very lucky to have some wonderful locals, who make the place a bit special.