“Lovely food & great value”
Review of Crown Inn

Crown Inn
Ranked #19 of 549 Restaurants in Doncaster
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Been a few times over the years & never been disappointed. Just lately the food has been very good & the summer nights meant we could dine outside. Well worth a try

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Friendly kind staff always very welcoming and great food! Never been disappointed yet.. From the second I arrived home I was planning when to visit again because I loved it so much

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Normally when I don't want to do the washing up and have some decent home cooked food we head off to the crown at Barnburgh. I don't expect Michelin star cooking but decent food is usually the standard fare and normally cant knock it but what a disappointment it was this time round to the point I feel it necessary to write a review. my partner had the prawn cocktail that was fine, I had a main course of scampi, usual bog standard fried brown food filled a gap. my partner had steak pie with chips and mushy peas. The mushy peas for some unknown reason were extremely sweet, full of sugar for the life in me I cant imagine why, the pastry looked home made but it was clear it was the just add water stuff and then mould it to your tin so not particulary nice. However, when it came to the dessert I ordered the strawberry cheesecake, I took one bite and sent it back. It tasted synthetic and cheap and had never seen cheese. The chef marched out of the kitchen, she told me she was very sorry about the cheesecake but it was not synthetic. So much for the apology, what she really offended about was that I said it tasted synthetic and she had come out to argue with me. If Im going to be paying best part of £4 quid for a slice of cheesecake I would expect it not only to be edible, but to have some resemblance to a real cheesecake and most of all not to have to stand my ground with the chef who has just cut it out of a box that she got from the cash n carry and shouldn't be offended. Never mind the sugary peas, or the add water pastry. It really was a dismal meal, poor quality, wont be going back ever and I recommend anyone to give it a miss.

4  Thank alysia1971
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I'm not going to knock the pub for having a special offer night because the food was still very enjoyable and not at all cheap and nasty as some outlets seem to do. I will say that there are obvious differences between the full price menu and the two for £11.95 offer, which they only do on a Monday night. The full menu is still available, we just thought we would try the offer for a change.

I had gammon and pineapple and my wife went for ham and eggs. She had two large slices of what seemed to be home cooked ham with two fried eggs and chips, mine was a chunky piece of gammon with pineapple, some onion rings and chips.

Portions are a bit smaller than the full price menu, but you expect that with a budget offer. The onion rings were not the usual homemade full rings but that was about the extent of it. No complaints from us as we enjoyed it. We will probably go back to the main menu next time though.

One of the reasons for looking at the offer menu was that there was no steak pie, which is what I had really gone there for, they had sold out. I had already decided on either gammon or ribs and my wife mentioned that gammon was on the offer menu. She had a look and picked the ham and eggs and that's how we ended up with the budget meals :-)

A pint of Timothy Taylors Landlord for me and a 55 for the wife, she was driving, and we were happy.

We will be going back again.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We came here for our grans 85th birthday party. We sat down and our starter came very quickly. Then the main course came 10 minutes after. The service was very good and the food is delicious. We played games of Irish bingo and it was very good so thankyou:)