“Birthday tea”

Butler's Tea Room & Bistro
Ranked #5 of 23 Coffee & Tea in Doncaster
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Wheelchair Accessible
S. Yorkshire
“Birthday tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

My daughter-in-Law and granddaughter took me here for High Tea as a 70th birthday treat. You do have to book in advance for this but everything was lovely, the table was set with lacy cloth, napkins, fancy china and we had a great selection of finger sandwiches, miniature pastries and scones with lots of jam and clotted cream. We had 4 large china teapots full and left feeling stuffed! Lovey meal would recommend for special treat.

1 Thank Sugar16

Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Food ok but service needs serious improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I live local to Cusworth Hall and take my toddler and dog walking there 2-3 times per week. We probably eat in the tea rooms once a week. The reason we keep going back is that it is conveniently located on the walk back toward the car park and the setting is beautiful.
The food is ok (not quite as good as you would expect for the prices charged) but the service is lacking. The ordering process is usually very slow. The food generally comes quickly though, which is great.They have a separate room where they allow dogs, which is fantastic - but it is in need of a really thorough clean.
The main problem is that given they are situated in beautiful parkland which attracts families with young children and people with dogs, the staff do not seem particularly welcoming to either. They are unhelpful and can verge on rude sometimes. On my last visit I had with me two dogs and my daughter. When the lady came out to bring cutlery and sauces I asked if they had a high chair. She pointed round a corner and said if there weren't any there they were all being used. I had both dog leads secured round my chair leg so I had to remain seated and a young child perched precariously on a normal chair. She grudgingly fetched a high chair. I always use disinfectant wipes on high chairs before sitting my daughter in them, but this was absolutely disgusting. Adults are not expected to sit on filthy chairs at filthy tables so I don't think it's nice to expect a small child to.
I think with some staff training, a good clean and small investment in some better designed high chairs that do not trap so much debris, the place could be brilliant.

2 Thank Tange33
“Limited Menu”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Have tried booking for dinner several times.
Booked 3 weeks ago, tonight they had a couple of free tables.
The service and food was good, but I have had better at lower prices.
The main coarse menu is limited, the wine menu is also very limited.
Will not be rushing back

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Bongsite
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Understated”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

The food is pretty good and reasonably priced, the menu covers a reasonable range of foods, the service is helpful but not fussy and the location in part of the old halls buildings.
There is outside seating but I think this is for bar drinks rather than eating dinner, if driving you can take your car to the restaurant and not have to walk from the public car park.
You could do a lot worse than eat here.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Stephen H
Doncaster
“Love it! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Fabulous friendly service and delicious food. Have visited on many occasions. The homemade cakes are scrumptious and love the vast array of Tea Pigs. Highly recommend.