“Grand Old Girl!”

The Vulcan Experience
Ranked #1 of 52 things to do in Doncaster
More attraction details
Owner description: PLEASE NOTE THAT THE VULCAN EXPERIENCE IS FOR PRE-BOOKED VISITS ONLY. Situated on Robin Hood Airport, this is the home of the last flying Vulcan. Our pre-booked tours offer a range of opportunities from an informal public tour which is designed for anyone who may be curious not just about the Vulcan, but also about the Cold War and the role RAF Finningley played during that dark time. Specialist tours and VIP tours are designed for our visitors to get some in depth information and are tailored to your specific area of interest. We can cater for childrens' groups of all ages.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Grand Old Girl!”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

As a fan of the Vulcan I had an fantastic couple of hours visiting the XH558.

My daughter booked us onto the hanger tour as a surprise birthday present and was nervous about my reaction (it seems that it might be considered a strange birthday surprise for a woman!)
The Vulcan was the first RAF plane I encountered over 30 years ago when I married my husband and moved to RAF Waddington so this aircraft has a special place in my heart and I try to support the Vulcan To The Sky Trust by making donations whenever I can.

The tour started with a short health and safety briefing and then a really informative and interesting chat about the history of the Vulcan (in general) and then further information and history about the Grand Old Girl, XH558 herself! As a Vulcan fan I was enthralled. The chat wasn't too long (so the non Vulcan fans in our party didn't get too bored) and there was plenty of time to wander around taking as many photographs as we wanted before spending a not too small amount of money in the Gift Shop area (all proceeds going to help keep the Old Girl airborne!)

If you don't know what this aircraft is all about why not visit the airport on one of the days when she's heading out for a display and hear that amazing Vulcan Howl! She's a noisy amazing Old Girl. Once you've done that, book yourself onto a Vulcan Experience tour and learn some of her history.

Well done to our tour guide for the chat and everyone involved in keeping this beautiful aircraft flying.

2 Thank Netty_In_Lincoln

Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A Thrilling Visit”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I attended the Public Tour with 3 other friends . As we entered the hanger,the Vulcan sat positioned in all its glory at the end of the hanger. What a thrill. John our guide give us a very informative talk & went through the history of this beautiful aircraft. - 2014 & 15 are exciting years to see the aircraft at flying displays,lets hope it can be kept flying for further years.This visit is a must & will be of interest for all age groups.

1 Thank Gerry D
Lincoln, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A great trip out”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We attended the public tour, which is a group of around 50 - dont let the numbers put you off, it was fantasic and didn't seem that many people there!
we sat down and had a "health and safety talk" which was just a few general bits!
then the guide gave a really big talk about the history of the Vulcan, which was facinating!
after the talk we were able to wander around and get up close to the xh588 which was brilliant!!
a really good day out, raising money for a fantasic cause!! :)

Doncaster, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Keep Vulcan in the sky!”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

As this is the ONLY flying Vulcan in the WORLD ,I wanted to show support for this amazing aircraft(how can it be that it's such a struggle to keep her flying,there really should be Govt / lottery funding).The tour is well organised and relaxed,you are not herded round but able to wander at leisure and take as many photographs as you want.The talk is very interesting and informative if you choose to sit through it,volunteers are on hand throughout and there is nothing they don't know about XH558,which looks in magnificent condition in the hangar but even better in the air.I live 10 mins from the airport so am very fortunate to see the Vulcan take off and land every time she is able to fly, go to the tour and if you get chance,see XH558 in flight while you still can,unless there is more funding the "Vulcan Howl" won't be heard for much longer !

Visited November 2013
Wakefield, United Kingdom
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Awesome”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The tour started with the guide giving an uninspired talk on health and safety - Oh no I thought, an hour of monotonous drone.

Then Terry reached the Vulcan part of his talk and he was like a man possessed. Thorough entertainment and packed with a vast amount of knowledge and understanding.

The Vulcan itself is so beautiful. So clean and shiny for an old lady.

It looks like her days are numbered though, as one of her engines only has 20 hours flying time left and there are no more engines.

I nearly gave this a 4* rating as the facilities such as the 'café' and shop are very basic. However, I was made to see sense when one of the volunteers explained all the money made goes to keeping the plane flying and not to the peripherals.

3 Thank alpensandal