“No, definitely not fine dining”

No. 7 at The Rum Rooms
Ranked #41 of 552 Restaurants in Doncaster
Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Small and intimate setting complimenting the original features of this old building. Very comfortable and classy with soft lighting and quiet background music.
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I have to agree with the reviewer who said this is definitely not fine dining! My son treated us to a meal last evening at the Rum Room, which having heard excellent reports about, I was looking forward to.
My husband, son and I were shown to a table by the window, excellent, it was open and there was a comfortable breeze blowing through, but the table was a disappointment - scarred varnish, paper napkin and a couple of sets of cheap cutlery set to the left. It was 7pm, but when the waiter appeared with the menu, he pointed out what they had run out of!
Eventually another waitress arrived to take our drinks order, which in addition to aperitifs, included a bottle of Malbec and a bottle of white - but, sorry, we don't have a spare wine cooler for the white, I'll bring one when we have!
I ordered the salmon fish cakes with pineapple and chilli, my fellow diners went for the Jamaican Sweetbread, amid ribald comments about how these would be presented, possibly with a jerk sauce? When their starters arrived, it was just that, 3 pieces of Jamaican sweet bread, covered in oil with a few olives rampant.....not quite the tasty offal dish they had been expecting!
I don't think I have seen a starter returned to the kitchen with such speed!

My white fish cakes arrived (2 minute 'delicacies') with a drizzle of chilli oil around the edge and no hint at all of the promised pineapple - no garnish served on a white plate. I think they would have looked more appetising had they been one cake, with a golden finish .

The boys re-ordered a starter and of course sat back to wait - my fishcakes remained in front of me, no question of it being removed in order that we all could eat together - so I had to eat my starter alone.

Fair to say, their second choice proved a better bet and they both enjoyed their starters.

Main course - my son had the much talked about steak onglet and thoroughly enjoyed it, my husband equally enjoyed his rump steak, but I had ordered the rump of lamb and had a message from the chef that he wasn't prepared to cook the rump pink as I had requested!!

So, my lamb rump was overcooked, somewhat leathery in part and not the dish I had anticipated.
The Mint and Pea puree was watery, resembling the liquor produced when mushy peas are cooked - totally devoid of flavour. The galette accompanying this dish may have been sliced potato and red cabbage, but I'm not sure, it was grossly under seasoned and not a thing of beauty to look at, with the red cabbage leaching into the white potato.
If small amounts of an element are to be drizzled onto a dish - these must have good full flavour!!!

What can you possibly do to a Crème Broule - unless you cook it at too high a temperature, stint on the crucnchy sugar topping and present scrambled egg in a small dish! It had split!
That too x 3 went back to the kitchen and fair to say, substitutes were provided when I caught the chef's eye to come and speak to me.
I have to say, for the cost of this meal, I would have expected a table cloth and linen napkins if the restaurant is aspiring to provide an upmarket experience.
I readily accept that the main course portion size is acceptable.

It would have been nice to feel that the waitress had been paying enough attention to our progress and not offered the dessert menu following the protracted starter course - though she did appear after half an hour with the wine cooler!

In spite of all the above - we enjoyed each other's company and had a super evening together, but I suspect non of us will be rushing back to sample the culinary delights - it's just missing that something which makes it an unforgettable experience, well actually, it will be unforgettable for us, but not for the right reasons.

7  Thank Jane N

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We purchased a deal via Living Social for a two course meal and glass of wine. We travel a lot, to eat good food and were looking forward to being able to walk into town for a meal. We don't like eating late, so were glad that we could eat for 6:15pm. We were given a warm welcome and were taken upstairs to the dining room. It is a small room, but we liked the decoration and the feel of the room - there is plenty of room between the tables. I like the fact that you can see into the kitchen where the chefs are working.
We chose salmon cakes and ribs for starters and onglet steak and chicken for mains. We were always going to share the meal as we were both interested in the flavour combinations.
Starters were well presented, and we were both pleasantly surprised how the ribs were plated. My preference was for the fish but we enjoyed both starters, not too sure actually how much, the flowers on the plate bring to the dish. Obviously cooked to order and were fresh, tasty and hot.
Main courses were also very enjoyable. I started with the chicken which was very tasty and moist and I even ate the skin, which I don't normally do. I was a little disappointed with the rice and peas, which had been described as caribbean but to me, seemed to be more asian. Onglet steak (which is a different cut) was very tender, and tasty. We don't normally do beef, but this was very enjoyable. Thought bombay potatoes were ever so slightly underseasoned and could have been warmer, however, a minor point.
Good sized portions, and again very well plated - in terms of textures and flavours. We had a bottle of house white, which was priced at £17.50 - to us, a little overpriced.
We managed to have a chat with the owners and like their ethos and the concept of the restaurant. To promote good food in pleasant surroundings in Doncaster - which they are achieving.
For the price we paid for the Living Social deal, it was excellent value for money. We would recommend and would return.

2  Thank joan t
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Went for a meal last week having heard good reports - we were not disappointed. Good range of starters to choose from & mains too - difficult narrowing selection down. Courgette starter excellent full of flavour, sea bass wonderful but spatchcock chicken with rice & peas outstanding. All food cooked to perfection and we will be going again. Good service too. Can recommend highly.

2  Thank Dawn P
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We went for a meal last night after hearing so many good reports and it certainly didn't disappoint! The menu was really lovely with some interesting dishes. Good size portions, plenty without being over faced. Good wine list and nice staff. Doncaster was desparate for something like this. Would definitely go again.

1  Thank debbie p
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and i dinned at number 7 last night and it was fantastic. The service was great, the food was stunning, the staff were very friendly and helpful. When (not if) they sort that cheesecake out this restaurant will be perfection. Also thanks to the young chef for coming out to have a chat with us. Good job.

1  Thank Dazbananas