“Pleasant overnighter”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Doncaster
London, United Kingdom
“Pleasant overnighter”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I stayed at Holiday Inn Doncaster as we were attending a wedding reception at the Warmsworth Hall, which is in the same grounds. I attended with my wife and two children. The hotel was adequate in every way. The staff were pleasant, albeit service was a bit slow, the room was cozy and clean and the breakfast was lovely. I don't stay at hotels in England very much, so I'm not sure how to benchmark value for money. England can be expensive, and for what it is, the hotel seemed expensive, but perhaps that's the cost of accommodation in the UK. I would recommend this hotel if you are staying as a couple or family and need to visit Doncaster and its surroundings. Not a great deal for your kids to do though.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
HolidayInn_Doncaster, Manager at Holiday Inn Doncaster A1(M), Jct. 36, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear JoFo74UK

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay overall and felt the hotel suited most of your needs. I apologise that you felt the service was a little slow on ocassion as this is not a comment we recieve often. Regarding things for the children to do, I was unsure as to whether you meant within the hotel or in the surrounding areas. I don't know if the children had the opportunity to enjoy the pool while you were with us. Our pool has children's swim times and is very child friendly. Otherwise, if the surrounding areas, Yorkshire Wildlife Park is rapidly becoming one of the the must see attractions for visitors to the Doncaster area and I highly recommend it should you ever return.

In closing, I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
IRELAND
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed a couple of nights here on business when my preferred hotel the Premier Inn was unavailable. Hotel is in major need of updating, room and furnishing very tired. Used the gym and pool which is very small with limited equipment. Found the breakfast and the food generally enjoyable. Location is about 10mins in a taxi to Doncaster town centre. I wouldnt stay here again much better accomodation in Doncaster at better value.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear PM20

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us. I apologise that you felt the hotel was in need of updating. We are currently going through a refresh programme throughout our bedrooms to freshen them up which I am sure you can appreciate, is an ongoing effort. While not a full renovation, we feel that the recently refreshed rooms are benefitting from the work being done currently.

I do hope that you will consider using us again in the future.

uk
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed here and was put in a disabled room 109 ! Basically in reception - I complained and was told there are no other rooms left . It was booked well in advance so why ? Reply- I don't know . Had no sleep due to the noise of people and doors banging right through the night. Was told in the morning it would be sorted- went and worked 12 hour shift to come back and be told oh sorry we haven't managed to get you another room! I ask why could you not ring me and tell me so I could have looked elsewhere - reply- I did not think . Spoke to manager who offered for us to go to another hotel- park inn - however it was now 8.30 after a long day at work and to travel again back the route I had just came and not sure of the hotel standard - basically nothing we can do - not a very professional or sympathetic attitude . Just be sure you are not booked in this room !!! I will be taking my complaint further .

• Stayed April 2014
Nigel D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Doncaster A1(M), Jct. 36, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Chrissy uk341,

Further to your feedback posted onto trip advisor, following your recent stay at my hotel. I was sorry to hear that you were disppointed with the room that you were allocated.

Unfortunately due to the hotel being fully booked, we were unable to fulfill your room move request.

I have investigated this morning the reason that you were allocated this room type, which was due to the confirmation we received from your third party agent. However I have made sure that we have up dated your guest profile at the hotel to include your bedroom preference.

As explained last night , I was naturally deeply sorry that we couldn't fulfill your room move request and personally spent time looking and discussing with you in person other hotel options within Doncaster.

Please accept my sincere apologises, I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Nigel Dibb
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We arrived Friday night fairly late, due to attend the racing for the next two days, we do this most race meets at the fantastic Doncaster race track . There was lets just say a lively group outside the hotel, we were later told it was a gypsy party!! i have no problem with this what so ever but the bad language, broken glass, to fellas chasing each other shouting and bawling is not what you want to hear after a long drive. There were four in my party who lets just say have lived life to the full and are not easily intimidated, for women or elders arriving it wouldn't have been great at all. The hotel had security for the evening, I've stayed here many many times before and have never seen or experienced this. We sat in the hotel foyer having a quick drink, the bar was full, when we saw the receptionist handing drinks over, it appeared that patrons had put drinks behind reception as if it were a bar. They did this about five times in front of us, again very strange, I've never seen this any where before. We went to bed because it was too loud and rowdy, and got fed up listening to the young lady trying to keep most of the party out of the hotel. This is were my fun began. I was in room 405 and all I can think is that rooms 403 and 404 had twenty plus people in them between 1.30am and 4.30am. There was an endless stream of people going in and out of the rooms banging and slamming as they went. Just not good enough! When I went down in the morning I discovered one of my colleagues had the maid disturb him at 8.30am, he did admit however that he had not used the do not disturb sign, but 8.30am on the weekend cant be right can it!! . My problem is this hotel could be great , great restaurant, good bar, nice lads behind the bar, very helpful and pleasant, lovely meal Saturday night, great service and the whole group was happy. The hotel was a lot quieter Saturday night. Why hotel management would let this party take place is beyond me but there we are, we will stay there 20 plus times this year which tells you the high regard I have for this hotel, but we as a group felt let down Friday night. It seems to be a running theme at holiday inns all over the country the regular guests take second place to large parties. In my opinion this is bad business and hope this isn't a running theme in 2014

Room Tip: Rooms 401 409 executive block area has a chlorine smell
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank craig p
HolidayInn_Doncaster, Manager at Holiday Inn Doncaster A1(M), Jct. 36, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Craig P

Thank you for taking the time to share your constructive feedback following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn, Doncaster. I spent some time talking on the phone with one of your collegues yesterday and am currently conducting an investigation into some of the points raised.

The hotel does not knowingly engage with events that we believe will cause upset to our valued and loyal guests as we value our reputation both with them and with our wider community. Following an incident some time ago, we hired a security company who can assist us at short notice should we find ourselves in a difficult position. This was what occurred on the first night of your stay. It is not our intention to continue to do business with guests who cause such disruption to the hotel and for that I can only apologise.

I thank you for sharing the positive aspects of your stay also which overall made this a very constructive and balanced review. I understand that the four of you are returning later on in the year and I very much look forward to meeting you then in person.

Bristol
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed overnight at the Holiday Inn Doncaster to attend a party in the town. Booking online was simple, and we requested a room suitable for someone with limited mobility, and were given room 101, right next to the disabled access to the hotel. On arrival checkin was simple, and the room was bright, well furnished with comfortable beds. Breakfast in the morning was ample and delicious, with a good choice of fresh fruit, cereals, as well as delicious fresh cooked full English available self service, so we could have as much or as little as we wished.

Overall our stay was a delightful experience, and we would thoroughly recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Grekophile
Dear Grekophile

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us. It is always a pleasure to read such wonderful comments from our valued guests. I have taken the liberty of sharing your feedback with the team at the hotel.

I do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the near future.

Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We had our wedding here last week and what can I say... it was a fantastic day. Annette, eddie and the rest of the team did everything possible to make our day go to plan. All u have t do is tell them what you want and they will do it. All our guests commented on how great the food was and how smoothly the day went. No hiccups, just perfect. Want to do it again now. Thanks you guys x

Room Tip: We had the executive suit for our wedding, it was very spacious, really clean and just right x my li...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
HolidayInn_Doncaster, Manager at Holiday Inn Doncaster A1(M), Jct. 36, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Mrsmilburn

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent wedding here at the hotel. I was delighted that you enjoyed your day and found the service from Annette and Eddie to be top notch!

May I take this opportunity to congratulate you and wish you a fantastic future together. We do hope to see you at the hotel soon and for many years to come.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed at the Holiday Inn, as my husband and myself were attending a wedding. The overall stay was excellent, wedding venue (Warmsworth Hall) was beautiful, food was good, hotel staff were excellent.
Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Clare H
Dear Clare H

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at the hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the event you attended and indeed your overall stay.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.