“Brilliant dog friendly hotel”

Holiday Inn Doncaster A1(M), Jct. 36
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Doncaster
Argyll and Bute, United Kingdom
“Brilliant dog friendly hotel”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My husband and I were relocating from London to Scotland so needed to stop en route with our two dogs. I googled dog friendly hotels on the A1(M) and this one came up. I didn't know holiday inns allowed dogs and when I saw how pristine and tidy it was I had to double check that the dogs were allowed in! Not only are they allowed in, they are welcome and you can have them in the bar with you so you're not confined to your room for meals. The staff also set up a table in the bar for breakfast for us without me even having to ask. The grounds are ideal for a leg stretch and there is a big field next door if your dog needs a longer walk. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful, the only people who weren't that keen on my dogs were a couple of businessmen types doing a job interview at breakfast! The whole hotel is spotless, so if you need a dog friendly place then I highly recommend this. Thank you to all the staff for helping smooth our way to Scotland!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Julie P
HolidayInn_Doncaster, Manager at Holiday Inn Doncaster A1(M), Jct. 36, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear JulieP

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us. It was I who took your initial reservation and I am so glad that we were able to help you along the way to your new home in Scotland. I hope everything went well with the move.

The decision to accept dogs is entirely up to the individual hotels. As dog lovers and being fortunate to have private grounds, we welcome most dogs as we understand how important they are to us. We do have a number of rooms where dogs are not permitted also.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found the staff and facilities met or even perhaps exceeded your expectations and I do hope you will consider us next time you need a stop off location should you ever need to make the trip back down to the South.

I wish you well in your new home and hope to see you again in the near future.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Used the Cosworth Suite in Warmsworth building - excellent! Spacious and airy on what was the hottest day of the year. Good facilitation service, and very helpful staff. Buffet lunch arrived exactly on time. Diagnosis of "weak" coffee resulted in swift replacements - all contributed to a stress free event. Thank you!

Room Tip: Meeting rooms in Warmsworth area are far better than main building
1 Thank 4bankfield
Dear 4Bankfield

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent meeting with us. I was delighted to read that you found the meeting facilities conducive to your needs and that the food, timings and service allowed you to have a stress free meeting. I was also pleased to read that upon hearing that the coffee provided was not to standard, this was quickly replaced.

I hope that we have the pleasure of hosting any future meetings or accommodation needs you may require in the area in the near future.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I used this hotel as an overnight pit stop for a long journey north. Despite only booking the day before I got a decent rate of £80 (room only). Which was cheaper than comparable hotels like Premier Inns.
It might only be 3 star but it had a large car park (free) and also offered free wi-fi. There was also a pool in the health club which was free to use, although I didn't bring my trunks.
The location was great and despite being so close to the motorway I didn't hear any traffic from the rear of the hotel. My view was of a brick wall but I wasn't there for the view and this didn't concern me.
All in all a good value property, convenient to the A1 and close to Doncaster too. I'll use the hotel again when on the same journey.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
HolidayInn_Doncaster, Manager at Holiday Inn Doncaster A1(M), Jct. 36, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear BennyBlue

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you felt the hotel exceeded your expectations with regards to value for money, parking, wi-fi and fitness club. I am only sorry that you did not get to use the pool on this ocassion.

I am so pleased that you would consider using us again for future stop overs and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Mellieha, Malta
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We booked two rooms here for two nights; it proved to be a good choice. The rooms were comfortable and the bar food just right. Staff were friendly and interested in looking after our needs. Minor niggles:
not easy to drop off / pick up outside reception;
bar closed early on the second night - no explanation;
a long walk with lots of steps to get to rooms, there is a small lift, then a tunnel, then another small lift;
had to ask twice for one of the orders of drinks.
Parking is plentiful, though, and there is a great Indian restaurant within easy walking distance (Tara Lounge). This is a convenient stop for Meadowhall, all the football grounds in the area, the Yorkshire Wildlife Park and all the other local attractions. Certainly recommended but needs a little attention to detail. Big thanks to the excellent reception team.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Geoff_and_Juls

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you found the hotel and local amenities convenient and that the team you encountered were friendly and looked after your needs.

The hotel only has one lift so, with this in mind, I apologise if directions given to you may not have been clear.

In relation to your feedback regarding drop off/pick up points, this is something that we are currently working on following not only this but feedback from other guests and we hope to have a resolution in the near future.

I do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We booked to have my Daughters wedding at the Holiday Inn, Warmsworth. What a great day.
The experience, from our initial enquiry to our leaving after the wedding was absolutely fabulous. The wedding coordinator took on board what we required and offered us various packages.We were shown the venue(which was Warmsworth Hall) a charming old hall within the grounds of the hotel and had everything explained to us. The coordinator giving us a timetable for my daughters wedding day and we were offered discount rooms for our guests.
On the day of the wedding the service from the staff, the meals and the general running of the day was far better than I thought it could be. We were welcomed on arrival and the day ran smoother than I thought it could and we never had to ask for anything.
I would recommend this venue to anyone wishing to have a wedding ceremony there and would like to thank all the people involved for their hard work throughout.
The rooms provided were also superbly clean and spacious.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank eggnmaz
HolidayInn_Doncaster, Manager at Holiday Inn Doncaster A1(M), Jct. 36, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Eggnmaz

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay and event with us. I was absolutely delighted to read that you found the whole day exceeded your expectations and felt that the team who worked with you both in the lead up to the day and on the day itself looked after your every need and anticipated them well.

We very much look forward to welcoming you all back to the hotel in the near future.

Granger, Indiana
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Our group tour was originally scheduled with reservations at a Holiday Inn in York but got redirected to Doncaster "due to unforeseen circumstances" not related to our group tour company. The "unforeseen circumstances" was the Tour de France York start point on the day of our reservation...Holiday Inn saw the opportunity to resell our reserved rooms at a much higher rate and bumped us to this much inferior hole in the wall in the middle of nowhere. Even after a lengthy walking excursion, we found absolutely nothing to do outside the hotel walls.

The rooms are located down some stairs, up some stairs and through windy hallways. We later discovered that we were directed under the street and then up into our building. An easier access was to simply cross the street and enter thru a side door (which was not locked and would allow anyone to enter). There were no ground floor rooms (and no elevator) and therefore no handicap accessible rooms which was a significant problem for a few in our group.

Dinner was included in our package....some were pleased with their selection but most felt the quality was lacking. The service was dour with our table nicknaming our server "the one with the attitude."

The rooms were not there was only 1 open socket which was a problem with all the phones, computers we had to charge.

There were infinite issues for everyone with the wifi that was supposed to be comped for us given the inconvenience of being redirected to Doncaster. It was very faulty and worked intermittently at best.

We were sharing the common areas with a wedding reception as the World Cup was playing on the big screen TV. I reported to the front desk 3 times over an hour that the ladies room in this common area had not 1 square of toilet paper in any of the 3 stalls. Many of the women from the wedding reception also let them know. After an hour, and many complaints, the front desk solution was to place a small remnant of a roll on the floor in each stall.

Overall, the service was terrible and the facility lacking. A very poor substitute for our experience in York.

1 Thank Jntthamel
HolidayInn_Doncaster, Manager at Holiday Inn Doncaster A1(M), Jct. 36, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Jeanette H

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to read that your time with us did not live up to expectations.

To address each point in turn, I am certain that the decision to relocate your group to Doncaster was not an easy one for the Holiday Inn, York and they took several steps to enhance your stay with us to make up for the disappointment of not being able to stay in York during the Tour De France. While we are not fortunate to be located in a city centre as they are, our village surroundings make for a quieter experience which some guests find refreshing. They certainly did not select an 'inferior' hotel but chose us as a hotel which is on a par with them and has the added benefit of a leisure centre and private grounds which are available to all our guests.

The hotel does have ground floor and accessible rooms but as none of these were requested on the booking, they were not pre-assigned to guests who may have had mobility issues. Unfortunately, with the hotel being full that night due to the influx of business from the magnificent Tour De France, even if requested, we would have been unable to supply a room move. However, while we do not direct our guests automatically over the road to our second building due to safety reasons, we are more than happy to show them that route which I personally did as soon as requested.

I apologise that you felt the service to your table and the food was lacking. Having courtesy checked all 100+ guests who dined with us that evening, this feedback is most surprising as it is not our normal standard of service and certainly not the experience of others who dined with us that evening.

We recieved no complaints on the night about faulty or intermittent WiFi but sheer volume of users can make our system slower. I am aware of one guest who was mistakenly given the wrong access code for the WiFi but this was prompty remedied once brought to our attention.

Finally, upon recieving the comment that the Ladies rest rooms were out of toilet paper, I personally replenished this myself and found only one stall without paper. I did not place any toilet paper on the floor but I did notice that the floor had become sticky which I took the time to remedy myself. If toilet paper was then placed on the floor by a guest, I can assure you that this was not our doing.

In closing, I hope that you enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Sheffield
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Just had an evening conference here for customers. The staff and service were excellent above and beyond my expectations and the feedback on the food was great!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Katy-St-75
Dear Katy-St-75

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent conference at the Holiday Inn, Doncaster. I was delighted to read that the team, services and facility exceeded your expectations.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.