“better than most cheap hotels”

Grand St Leger Hotel
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Doncaster
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Great location, comfortable and clean room, good wi fi. Nice evening meal and a good breakfast too.
The staff were very pleasant, and also they do an amazing offer on conference facilities, one of the best offers i have ever seen

Room Tip: Rear facing room
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Mark L, General Manager at Grand St Leger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Maurice,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I was delighted to read your comments. We strive to offer a good quality product combined with excellent service, at a reasonable price, so I am particularly pleased that you felt we delivered on this.

It was a pleasure to show you our conference facilities on the morning you checked out, and please do not hesitate to contact myself or one of the team should you require further details of the packages. If you require something more bespoke we can also arrange this for you.

There are newer reviews for Grand St Leger Hotel

Reviewed 15 April 2014

For the price we paid this was a very adequate hotel. The staff were very friendly. Breakfast was nice the room was I nice size to .. i liked the free wifi and parking very well looked after and clean. its has its own bar in the hotel its slef .would stay there agen when were in Doncaster. stayed on the 11/04/2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Daniel

Thank you for taking the time to submit your recent review.

I was delighted to read your comments, and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel at some stage in the future.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

For the price we paid this was a very adequate hotel. The staff were very friendly. Breakfast was ok - standard choice. Rooms were ok, shower I didn't like - I don't know if if was just our room, but it dribbled out and nice size rooms.
The traffic noise from the road outside could be so put off for some people, but wasn't a problem for us as we are used to it.
A strange complaint, which is not really to the hotel, but to the people in the room next to ours. The walls are not that thick, and we were greeted to a door slam at 2am and we then had the pleasure of listening to them having sex, for well over an hour and then we were woken up at about 7am to the sound of another session, which went on till we went down for breakfast. It was very awkward once they appeared for breakfast and to be honest we didn't know where to look to what to stay.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Mark

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that on the whole you enjoyed your stay, I take on board your comments regarding water pressure from the shower and I have asked maintenance to check all showers, and arrange to address this wherever necessary.

Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Immediate impression was very good. Very well kept period building with lovely features. Nice bar and restaurant area. Free parking and £3.50 in a cab to main town although could walk in 15 min.

Room 110- was small but adequate. TV hair dryer tea etc. nice bathroom/shower ample towels.

THE WORST mattress I have ever had the misfortune to sleep on. If I woke up once I woke up 50 times that night- no more than 3 hours sleep.

Breakfast... That was also the worst I have ever had the misfortune to come across in 20 years of hotel travel.

I wish I had taken a picture as it really was embarrassing- I don't know how the waitress kept a straight face bringing it to the table. The chef who was responsible for the breakfast made an appearance, wearing a baseball cap.

Whilst the building was certainly very well looked after and clearly well loved, it is a real shame that the two things that most people rely on being good when it comes to hotel/B&B , were shockingly bad in this case. If I had a different mattress and different breakfast experience I wouldn't hesitate to return or recommend. Just don't stay in room 110 and hope that someone else cooks your breakfast!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Bex01

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, the feedback received from valued guests such as yourself enables us to identify and address problem areas where necessary,

I was of course disappointed to read your comments regarding the mattress and the breakfast. I have now replaced the mattress in 110. Unfortunately, none of the previous occupants of the room had made us aware of this, but I ordered a new mattress upon reading your review.

I was quite surprised to read your comments regarding breakfast as this is something we are quite often complimented on, nonetheless, I have spoken to the head chef regarding your breakfast experience, and the personal presentation of the kitchen team, and we have addressed both matters to ensure we consistently achieve the standards we strive for.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review your stay. I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the future, and please do not hesitate to contact me personally if I can be of any assistance.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

The room was lovely, very clean and the staff were very helpful. However I ordered 'stuffed chicken breast (with cheese and leeks) with dophinouse potatoes and seasonal vegetables' and what I was greeted with was a slab of poor quality chicken breast (maybe I couldn't even tell) which was not stuffed at all with sliced, what seemed to be tinned, new potatoes. There were also some frozen green beans and carrots all doused in a disgusting mushroom mess sauce with tasted to me, like cheap mushroom soup.

On a lighter note, the bath was amazing.

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, the feedback provided enables us to identify and address any problem areas where necessary.

I was delighted to read your comments regarding the standard of the room and the quality of the customer service, and of course disappointed to read your comments regarding the food.

I am of course sorry that the dish you ordered wasn't to your liking. I can assure you that both potatoes and green beans are always freshly cooked, and never tinned or frozen. However, I am still disappointed that you didn't enjoy your meal as we try to ensure all diners have an enjoyable experience in the restaurant. If you do find yourself needing hotel accommodation in Doncaster in the future, I do hope that you will consider us again. If you do try the food again and it isn't to your liking, then please feel free to let one of the team know, and we will do our utmost to rectify the situation or provide an alternative.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed one night on 1st of March 2014

very pleasant stay, room and bathroom spotless, cozy and warm and the staff were all accommodating. We will certainly be going back to stay at this hotel when we next go to the races. Many thanks to all St Ledger Staff for their kindness.

Jan and Keith

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jan and Keith

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your recent review.

We work hard to ensure that we offer a high standard of accommodation combined with excellent customer service, so I was of course delighted to read that you felt we delivered on both these points.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to the racecourse.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

I had a meal with my partner and friends in Feb 2014... The NEW MENU was fantastic, homemade quality food and great value! I would recommend the hotel and restaurant! I have read a couple of not so great reviews and can assure you they are not correct! Thank you to all the staff :)

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Gsmith444

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit to our restaurant.

I was delighted to read such positive comments regarding the food and the new menu. We have a diverse range of customers with varying tastes utilising our restaurant and our new Head Chef has worked hard to come up with a menu which we hope offers something for everyone.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.