“Very Good Express”

Holiday Inn Express Doncaster
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Doncaster
Reviewed 31 July 2014

New and clean. Very attentive staff. Was recognised as a IHG Gold Elite member. Good size rooms. Breakfast the usual Express breakfast and good for the price you pay. I stupidly forgot to take toothpaste and was given complimentary small toothpaste and toothbrush. i was very impressed as I once forgot my toothbrush at another brand hotel and had to purchase one quite expensive. I would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Gemma T, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Doncaster, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your great review, its great to hear that you appreciate the Gold elite member recognition! All Express hotels as standard should offer you the complimentary toothpaste as part of our 'Forget Something Promise', we find it a great convenience for our guests!

Thanks again for a great review and we hope to see you again soon

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Doncaster

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The Holiday Inn Express in Doncaster was a pleasant surprise.
The hotel was easy to find thanks to their video, available on Youtube, which explains how to get there from Junction 3 of the M18.
The room was spotless and everything worked as it should. I know this shouldn't be noteworthy, but I have spent many nights in the likes of Travelodge, and this was superior to any Travelodge I have been to.
The room was spacious and the bed was comfortable. It was a hot day, so we were delighted that the air conditioning was working. The TV was a large flatscreen and had all the usual Freeview channels.
I thought our room, which was directly above the smoking area by the entrance, would end up being noisy, but with the window shut and the aircon on, we didn't hear anyone outside.
There was complimentary gel soap (Dove) and shower gel (Lux).
So why didn't I give this hotel 5 stars?
Simply the breakfast: there weren't enough tables and chairs for all those who had come down for breakfast at 9 o'clock, and we spent ages queuing for food. We ended up sitting outside with the smokers, although we aren't smokers, just so we could get a table.
There are notices in the lift and in the rooms asking guests to keep quiet when near bedrooms as people may be sleeping. This seemed to be heeded by most people, but on Sunday morning we passed a couple who were laughing and talking loudly while waiting for the lift - and directly outside a bedroom where someone had hung a "do not disturb" sign. I think the management should do more to remind people of the important of keeping the noise down, for example during check in.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to offer a review on our hotel, we appreciate your comments on the guest room quality. We do take all feedback on board and although we do regular walk rounds of the hotel to minimise noise and place notices around the hotel, this is always something that we appreciate feedback on. We are sorry that the breakfast area was busy and you had to queue, we do try and clear the tables and manager the queues as much as possible, however we can never account for a lot of guests coming down to breakfast at the same time, all we can do is manage it to the best of our ability. We thank you for bringing this to our attention and I do hope this does not hinder your choice to come and stay with us again.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel for me and my partner 4 days prior to arrival for 51pound it was good value for money. Comfy bed, large shower, tv with working channels! Staff were brilliant and the rooms/hotel was spotless. We had a smoking room as my partner smokes, I dont! It didnt smell and was alot fresher than I had expected. Cannot comment on breakfast as we over slept but I would reccomend and use again.

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear Robert,

Thank you so much for your great review! I hope you and your partner enjoyed your time in Doncaster and hope that you will think of the again the next time you are in Doncaster

Reviewed 27 July 2014

This hotel doesn't look like much from the outside - rather dull actually - but inside it looks fairly modern and updated. Service from the staff was not too extravagant, but ok enough to get you checked in and such. Breakfast was a small buffet - not very impressive, but it does the job if you are only staying for a couple of days. The room itself was very clean and overall looked good. The bathroom was actually quite impressive and looked like it could fit into a much more expensive hotel. You also got a flatscreen HD TV with a rather good selection of channels.

The area surrounding the hotel is not very exciting, although there is a great pub just opposite the hotel (check out their cakes!)

Overall, if you are in the area for a couple of days and travelling by car, this hotel is a good choice for a very reasonable rate!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments on the room quality at our hotel, it's great to hear that our guests appreciate the high quality TV's installed. We are situated in an up and coming area, with lots of new developments appearing around us so I am sure that you if you come and visit us again soon, you will be happier with the surrounding area.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

stayed overnight as visiting the racecourse which is approx. 3 miles away . Hotel is 10 minute max from motorway so ideally situated . Rather confusing to get to as in a retail park . Very basic limited storage space no toiletries ( set up very similar to a travel lodge) The bed dipped in the middle felt as if I had slept on a slope. On reading other comments other people state the same . No double glazing so the comings and goings in the care park can be heard. Free wifi . Breakfast is limited, sausage, scrambled egg and beans . 3 selections of cereal and croissants. We stayed over on a Saturday night and were advised to get to breakfast early as long queues after 9am . It is a very small breakfast area.
hotel is ideal for one night maybe two but no more.
Would I stay again yes but I hope I have a new mattress.

Room Tip: if light sleeper take ear plugs and toiletries
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the feedback you have left, we appreciate your comments and we will look into the noise you experience, the storage options in the rooms and the mattress and we are currently looking into improving our breakfast options.

Thank you for your positive comments and we will endeavour to improve our service for the next time you return!

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for an exhibition at Doncaster Racecourse. It was within a 10 minute drive and near to the main transport links around the city. It was my second stay.
The rooms are very basic with an open hanging area for clothes, no wardrobe or a single drawer to put your things.
It seemed clean with very clean bedding and towels, but the bathroom floor left a lot to be desired with cracked tiles and stained grouting. Not pleasant to walk on. The fan was not working either.
Toiletries provided (handwash & body wash/shampoo) are Dove so good quality and there was plenty of hot water and good water pressure to get a refreshing wash.
The bed was not the most comfortable. I kept rolling into the middle but I slept well on my second night after being on my feet all day at the exhibition.
I only had breakfast there and it was not the best, poor cheap sausages with 'processed' scrambled eggs. Although saying that there was coffee and/or tea in abundance and quite a good choice. Cereals, a choice of three, diy toaster with jam etc.
Other guests did not seem to be worried about the noise they were making late into the evening although I did have my window open throughout my stay.
To conclude, this is a get what you pay for hotel.
Staff were pleasant enough.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank jdunkley55
Gemma T, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Doncaster, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear Guest, Many thanks for your open feedback on the hotel. It's great that you recognised our staff as pleasant and that we have a variety of option during breakfast. I am sorry to hear that you did not like the sausages and eggs at breakfast, these are the brand standard sausage for Holiday Inn Express hotels, however your feedback will certainly not go unnoticed and we are already looking into improving these aspects of our breakfast offering. Sorry to fin that you bathrooms floor tiles were cracked, we will ensure that our floors are looked at by our maintenance team until our bedroom refurbishment which is scheduled for the end of the summer.

Please do not hesitate to contact the reception team if you find that you bed is not comfortable, we know that guests have different opinions of what bed is comfy and not comfy, so we would always be happy to change the mattress or the guest rooms for on your next visit!

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on business for three nights. Perfectly fine for that purpose but nothing overly special. Breakfast & evening meals were a little limited (with not too much else in the local vicinity as an alternative either) but I didn't go hungry. Seems that this area is used as a lorry park at night - probably due to the excellent transport links, a big plus point. Room cleanliness could be imoroved a little (sofa was stained) but again nothing I would really make a large fuss about particularly given the price & my reason for staying.

• Stayed: July 2014
Gemma T, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Doncaster, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review and feedback on the hotel. I am sorry to hear that you found a stain on the sofa, we will ensure that all sofas are checked as a result of this, we always try to ensure the hotel is clean throughout as we know how important this is to a guest. Its great that you recognise out great transport links around the hotel, our location is great for guests visiting the city centre and for just travelling through.

Many thanks again and I hope you consider us the next time you visit Doncaster