“Haute food in Doncaster portions!”

The Old Weighing Room
Ranked #28 of 537 Restaurants in Doncaster
Price range: US$31 - US$57
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Doncaster's newest restaurant and bar. The Old Weighing Room - formerly known as Silks - has undergone a £125,000 redevelopment and is now open. Guests can enjoy dinner and drinks in the unique surroundings of the racecourse - without it even being a raceday! The Old Weighing Room will open Thursday to Sunday and will serve quality British cuisine, of course featuring locally-sourced Yorkshire fare.
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Just returned from Sunday dinner at The Old Weighing Room and was stunned by the excellent service and food offered. From the moment we arrived we were looked after by the manager who greeted us and the waiting staff who were attentive without being overly fussed while your eating. We sat outside on the terrace where we were served for a bottle of wine as we had arrived slightly early. We were then shown to our table where there was two mini loaves of bread still in their tins provided on the table, still warm from the oven, something I had never seen before. Another nice touch was iced water provided on all tables. I had Haddock and my wife opted for the Ham Hock terrine, we both cleared our plates and awaited our mains eagerly. I'd gone for the Sirloin of Beef with, Yorkshire Pudding, roast potatoes and seasonal veg, my wife went for the Lamb. When the portions came out I was stunned how big they were. Far too often restaurants of quality fail to provide a decent portion for Sunday dinner but the plates (four slices of thick cut Beef) were full. My wife commented that the Lamb was melt in the mouth. For dessert I had the Cheese board and my wife had the Strawberry and Champagne Summer Pudding with Pink Champagne sorbet. Now I admit I couldn't finish my Cheese. Two courses of such quality had meant I'd cleared my plate and when a board of cheese was placed in front of me, I knew despite my good intentions, that I would never get through it.
We spent just over £60 for 3 courses and a bottle of wine which i found more than reasonable considering the quality and service we received.
I'd highly recommend anybody giving this place a try as along with The Rum Rooms in the town centre, it is a step above for eating in the central Doncaster area. We will be back!

2  Thank Weslina
There are newer reviews for The Old Weighing Room

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Visited this restaurant for the first time on Saturday night and had a very nice meal. Food presented nicely and all staff friendly and efficient. It was a lovely summer evening so sat outside before and after meal. Disappointed there were only six tables occupied so the atmosphere in the restaurant was lacking slightly but overall a pleasant evening. Would probably visit again.

1  Thank breakawayyorks
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I really wanted to like this place as we are always looking for places to eat out, however I can't see this place lasting as it is, for more than 12 months.
For my starter I had chicken liver pate and my wife had tomato soup with basil oil and focaccia. My pate was fine, if under seasoned, the accompanying chutney was OK, the toasted brioche was cold and incredibly hard like it had been toasted ages before and left out so had taken on the texture of cinder toffee. My wife's soup was really terrible, I would say it was the worse soup I have ever tasted, it had a metallic taste of tinned tomatoes and nothing else, the mouth feel was watery. When we are in peak English tomato season why not just roast some tomatoes with a little thyme and garlic, season and blitz? How hard is that? The accompanying foccacia was again like a dried out brick. I could have understood this if the place was busy but there were only 2 tables occupied. The main courses were even worse, I chose "shoulder of lamb studded with garlic and rosemary" What arrived was a meagre piece of ballotine reformed from the crumbs of a lamb shoulder, no actual pieces of meat, as if this wasn't bad enough it was accompanied by a croquette. This was the same mixture that had been breadcrumbed then deep fried, which looked quite appetizing, but, upon biting into it all I got was hot greasy fat, to make things worse the overriding flavour was of rancid fish and stale oil. This has obviously been fried in the same old oil that they use for the fish cakes on the starter. The pommes boulangere were the worst I have ever had, they were pale and insipid with an overriding taste of shop bought vegetable stock. The gravy was a bizarre texture almost like jelly, again it had no flavor of lamb, and was obviously just mixed from gravy flakes or granules.
My wife's vegetarian main course was a root vegetable cobbler, considering it was 26 degrees outside and the restaurant was red hot this was a really silly thing to offer as the only vegetarian option. As the description suggests it was just a dish of stodge tasting of nothing. The presentation was 1970s style with a single piece of turned courgette, a baby leek and single baby carrot all without any seasoning or butter and all looking very grey like they had been sitting in a combi steamer or bain marie for hours.
The sticky toffee pudding was OK if very dense. The lemon tart looked bought in, the coulis that came with it was disgusting, tasting like cheap processed jam. Again this was obviously bought in, I had to ask myself why would anyone not make their own coulis, it takes 2 minutes. The bill was just under £100 with a tip (I always tip in any restaurant because no matter how bad the food, staff in hospitality are poorly paid and need a tip to make their work viable for them) the front of house staff were lovely but very nervous, I could see 7 of them to serve 6 diners.
The wine list was short but well put together house champagne at £6.50 per glass was decent value but like all our wine was served in really cheap heavy glasses, when I asked if they had any dessert wine to accompany our final course I was told they didn't, again I had to question why?

My suspicion is that the head chef has worked at the racecourse for a while and their mindset is in contract catering mode. The 70s garnish, bought in sauces, emphasis on presentation over food quality all reminded me of meals I have had at The Racecourse when attending weddings and corporate events. While this sort of approach is necessary when you are serving 200 main courses in 20 minutes it shouldn't be used in a restaurant of this kind.

9  Thank GourmetGoose
Reviewed 20 July 2014

An absolutely fantastic evening! Where to start,from entering the venue to leaving me and my friends felt like real VIPs 5* waitress service 5* food in a 5* venue can't wait to go again

5  Thank Flinty24
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My wife and i attended a race meeting at Doncaster last Thursday evening and after checking with tripadvisor decided to look no further than the Old Weighing Room Restaurant which is situated on the race course by the main entrance. This place is open every day and reservations are taken other than on race days, when customers have to take pot luck. We were seated immediately. I suppose there could be a wait on big race days. The menu was inventive, limited but with good choices. Our food was perfectly cooked and promptly served by friendly efficient staff. I have seen a couple of reviews complaining about portion size but i don't know where they are coming from. We are good eaters but found a starter and a main sufficient. A bit disappointing because we saw a string of deserts passing us destined for other tables and they all looked delicious. The house wine was pretty good, a price of nearly £20.00 was a little expensive but overall we really enjoyed a lovely good value meal. We can fully understand why this restaurant rates so highly on tripadvisor. The location is appropriate because its a winner!

2  Thank SRBColwynBay