“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #230 of 508 Restaurants in Doncaster
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Cheap Eats, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Welcome to the Toby Carvery Bessacarr. When it comes to roast dinners, we really know our stuff. Every day our chefs lay on a feast of tender, hand-carved meats with all the trimmings – including towering Yorkshire puds, golden roasties with all those lovely little crunchy bits, and plenty of freshly prepared veg, all crowned with proper gravy. So it's no wonder we're South Yorkshire’s favourite carvery restaurant. Drop by and you'll find lots more on offer, including cooked breakfasts and tasty specials.
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in doncaster for 1 night and turned down the hotel breakfast in favour of the Toby Carvery, as we had eaten at the 1 in hull and always enjoyed it. However on this occasion we left disappointed. Cold hard eggs, hard bacon and dreadful coffee. All the surfaces needed a good clean. Our table was sticky with bits of food but was laid out with new knives and forks. The toast was nice however but its a bit steep paying £3.99 for toast and Jam. Such a shame as this has put us off any future visits.

Toby Carvery R, Guest Relations Manager at Toby Carvery, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Many thanks for the review. We're really sorry to hear you were disappointed with us at breakfast. We've responded to you personally in order that we can get some further details to follow this up.

Cantley, Doncaster
“Very poor service at the bar”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

The lady who worked the bar on the 11th March was very rude, she could see I was waiting to be served and on two occasions choose to serve people who entered the premises after I arrived at the bar, I chose not to kick up a fuss as the place was busy and it was my mums birthday, I just wanted to get my drinks and then go to our table. Its a shame because the food is nice, but to be honest I'll take my money elsewhere in future.

1 Thank Paul_Br2010
Thank you for your review. We're sorry to hear the service wasn't quite up our normal high standard for you but do appreciate you taking the time to leave us the feedback. Should you visit again and everything not be just how it should be, please ask to speak to a manager who will do their best to put things right for you there & then.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Five adults and four children!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We visited this venue to have a family meal before family members traveled home. The tables had been wiped however, cloth marks were left on the tables. One of the tables had graffiti marks on the table. The carvery area was well presented. Onto the food, the meat eaters in the group said that the meat was nice. The Yorkshire puddings were very large I personally think smaller would be better. The stuffing consisted of crumbs of stuffing with some of the crumbs sticking together to form small lumps. The taste was ok. The mashed potato contained small lumps. The roast potatoes represented lumps of coal, hard and burnt almost black with a small amount of potato in the centre. Carrots were hard which i like however they were dry. I had a vegetarian broccoli bake, most of this was puff pastry. This venue is in a great location with lots of competition in the area unless they produce better food served in a clean well maintained environment I fear for their longterm future. Would I visit again? No because other venues in the area provide much better food.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JamesBlaik
Toby Carvery R, Guest Relations Manager at Toby Carvery, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We apologise the food was not up to our usual high standard on this occasion. We've sent a personal response in order to confirm some details so we can pass this along to our Guest Care Team.
hull yorkshire
“Management need to up there standards.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Visited the Toby today myself and partner first time to this establishment will not be in a hurry to return. It was carvery my partner ordered this I just ordered the roast and a salad. My husband went and helped himself to his meal and then returned I was still waiting for my meal and I waited and waited I had to put pressure on a member of staff to ask for my meal (from a different waitress t hat served us she didn,t look to please when ask were my meal was as my other half had nearly finished his eventually they brought it too much lettuce not carrot as stated on the menu meat ok, If I had not confront her I still would have not been served the waitress that took my order did come back to us and was told that I wouldn't,t be paying for the meal jolly good doesn't, say much for the poor service, I would rather sit and order a a nice meal and be served at the same time needs a lot of sorting will not be returning

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. Our apologies your visit was not up to our usual standard for you. In order that we may ask our Guest Care Team to look into this further, we've responded personally requesting a few more details.
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
“Yorkshire puds pudding”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at doncaster overnight and we found this place the food was spot on and we tried the pudding called yorkie pud pudding which was just delicious. I would def visit this place again.

Thanks for the review. Our new Yorkshire Puds pud is delicious isn't it! We hope you'll be back to see us again soon.