“The perfect break” 5 of 5 bubbles

Charingworth Manor
London
“The perfect break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012 via mobile

I had a three night stay at Charingworth Manor with my mother last week and it was, quite literally, just what the doctor ordered.

The hotel itself is beautiful. Cosy and snug and beautifully decorated to meet the style of the building. Mum and I were upgraded into a deluxe room which was a real treat.

Due to health issues, I currently have some dietary restrictions and the hotel catered for this quietly and without issue which was very impressive and reassuring for me.

The staff throughout the hotel were exceptional and the chef deserves a particular mention. The food really was outstanding, varied and beautifully presented.

The pool area and gym are also great and just the right size for a small hotel. We were often the only people in there.

We pre-booked massages for the first night of our stay and weren't disappointed. The therapist gave the treatments in our room and it was the perfect start to a relaxing break.

Outside of the hotel, we visited Chipping Campden, Stow, Shipston on Stour, Moreton in Marsh and Chipping Norton. All gorgeous places and well worth a visit. We also went to the Cotswold Farm Park which I would recommend to all animal lovers, young and old! They cater particularly well for young children. Lastly, we paid a visit to Chastleton House - a National Trust Jacobean House which shouldn't be missed.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this review, 17 November 2012
Dear Guests

Thank you very much for your kind comments, I will share these with the team here at the hotel.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back and if I can help in anyway please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Michael David Eastick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Stockport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

We stayed at the beginning of October and can honestly say what a gem of a hotel that could really shine with a couple of additons and changes. Firstly the positives - The staff were excellent and the best was with out doubt Daniel who I know is leaving the venue for pastures new but I can only hope his remaining colleagues carry on his good work and mirror his amazing work ethic and customer service skills, the room was delightful and food was simply stunning with an great choice and also a small but well formed wine list.

The negatives - on our second night it sounded like we had Team GB trampoline team above us with shouting till 1am and then up at 5am jumping off beds which after speaking to reception it was a young family but it would seem after reading other reviews our room (potter) has this as a known problem and if I was the manager I would take this into account when allocating rooms and also review the sound deadening etc, this noise was still going on after 10am when we left for the day. The pool area needs a little TLC as it is looking its age, also the bar needs reviewing as only had real ales by the bottle and is a little small and the only area that had no personality. The WIFI is awful as it is poorily located and incorrectly set up (I do this within my job) it requires a review and a small budget to fix and they would then have an excellent system,

All in all though we had a great time (order the cream tea - WOW) and are already planning our next journey back, but I would be upset if the negatives had not been dealt as I believe this is a Hotel that is trying to better its self.

Room Tip: Do not pick Potter (or maybe any ground floor room) until sound deadening added or ceiling structure...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bredbury-Hall
Southend-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

You simply can't do better that a stay at Charringworth Manor.
The location is brillian for the Cotswolds.
The staff are friendly and efficient.
The hotel is full of old world charm, but has been recently updated.
It cant be faulted.

Room Tip: The Stafford can be noisy as it is over the kitchen fridges.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this review, 21 October 2012
Dear guest

Thank you for your comments we do appreciate guests taking the time to do so. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your comments to the team here at the hotel.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back and please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can help with any future reservations.

Kettering, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

My friends and I had a lovely weekend at this beautiful country house hotel; the staff were pleasant and efficient and the food and surroundings excellent. One minor quibble - it's an old rambling building and the room names, rather than numbers, and rather under-stated signage made navigation a little tricky for the first day! We used the pool and steam room and enjoyed both.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends

Kettering, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

We stayed at Charingworth Manor in October 2012 to escape a busy, task driven, noisy life and to find our peaceful haven for 48 hours. The Manor was ideal for this.

The Manor is set at the top of a hill, remote and silent. Animals grazing around, no traffic, not a single phone beeped or rang while we were there and the staff were present but quietly aside. We arrived early and our cases were looked after as we ate lunch and then were moved for us into our room. We stayed in a suite which was a bathroom, lounge and bedroom of average size and in good clean condition. A bed with six pillows was a first (but two single beds together rather than a luxurious double).

The food at all meals was excellent but with little variation in terms of offering. We were disappointed that there was no draft beer or lager (bottles only) and the bar area was functional rather than large enough to be comfortable. We were not able to have a drink in the bar pre-meal as six people were already there and it was full. Seriously. It is no major issue but it gives you an idea of the scale of the venue. There is a drawing room and a second comfortable seating area which can also be used. The restaurant is a long thin corridor style room.

Overall, the Manor is lovely and highly recommended for a quiet remote retreat. Expect quaint and small and consider a suite so that you have your own space.

The final word. Charingworth Manor is a beautiful 1,000 piece jigsaw with a few edge pieces missing. The lack of draught beer, the flickering phone in the bedroom at night, the extremely bright LED on the radio in the room, the lack of wi-fi in the bedrooms, one TV in our room not working. These are all minor things but they create an unfinished jigsaw which would otherwise be a masterpiece.

Room Tip: Book a suite for your own space.
1 Thank SiJo2011
Dear guests

Thank you for your comments we do appreciate guests taking the time to do so. I’m glad on the whole you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your comments to the team here at the hotel.

We have on several occasions tried to stock and sell draught ales and larger, but due to the low demand it has not been viable, I’m at a loss to know which room you were in as all our televisions are in working order, but I apologise this was not the case during your stay.

We have a number of WIFI signals and boosters in the hotel, of course with walls of up to 4 feet in some areas there are black spots, but again I apologise as this signal normally is and should be available in all bedrooms.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

My husband and I got married at Charingworth Manor at the end of September, and it was the most wonderful day. The staff are all extremely helpful, both in making the arrangements and on the day. They cater for every need and set the reception room up perfectly.
The food is excellent and all our guests commented on how good it was, and service was very relaxed and unobtrusive.
We stayed in the Ebrington Suite for the night and it is a gorgeous room, and allowed us to relax in comfort after out exciting day.
We cannot thank all the staff enough for their help and for being so friendly, they made it a wedding day to remember.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Dear newlyweds

Thank you for your kind comments, we are glad you enjoyed your wedding day with us, we do hope to be able to welcome you back in the future and please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can help.

Kind regards

Michael
Midlands England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

Stayed here Saturday and Sunday night, for my partner's 40th birthday. Couldn't have asked for a nicer weekend, nothing was too much trouble and the staff were excellent. Dinner both evenings was superb, and we enjoyed the use of tennis courts and the pool. Would definitely come back again,

Dear guests

Thank you for your comments we do appreciate guests taking the time to do so. I’m glad you enjoyed your birthday stay with us and will pass on your comments to the staff here at the hotel.

Im glad you could enjoy the tennis courts even in October, as they have been sadly underused this year due to the weather

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chipping Campden
The Manor House Hotel
The Manor House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Moreton-in-Marsh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,002 reviews

Been to Charingworth Manor? Share your experiences!