“A lovely building - but not the hotel it once was”
Review of Charingworth Manor

Charingworth Manor
Warwick, United Kingdom
“A lovely building - but not the hotel it once was”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We first visited here 20 years ago when it was one of the boutique hotels of the Cotswolds. It still is wonderful building with lots of character but as a hotel it is not in the same league as Lords of the Manor, to choose one local rival. It is a serviceable, comfortable hotel. The service is fine but there are moments when it feels like you are in a seaside lodging house. The pool is nice but a like the rest of the hotel it is feeling a little past its best. I have to say that we paid a fraction of what it would have cost to go to the Lords of the Manor so the comparison is not strictly fair. In the end you get what you pay for. We eat in the restaurant which had some real high spots (beautifully tasty local lamb) but again compromised by some other aspects of the meal.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kingmaker
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on trip advisor, we appreciate when guests take the time to do so.

I’m of course a little saddened by your comments and these in no way reflect the views and comments we receive from the vast majority of our guests on departure as well as our other reviews on trip advisor.

A little unfair to compare our restaurant with the Michelin Starred Lords of the Manor Restaurant, but I’m glad you enjoyed your lamb and the meal also provided some other high spots for you. Your comments about the service and comparison to a seaside lodging house, I really don’t understand as we have an excellent team working for us, whom I believe strike the perfect balance of friendly unobtrusive and professional service.

I would more than welcome discussing your points further and do wish I was able to speak with you in person whilst you were staying with us and should you wish to contact me directly please do not hesitate to do so.

Michael Eastick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Waltham Abbey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Went to Charingworth Manor for a few days of relaxing and certainly found it, room very nice with own terrace looking over a fantastic vista, perfect for enjoying a glass of wine with perfect weather for October. Staff all very professional and attentive your every need catered for. Will defiantly return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
charingworth, Front Office Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Guests

Thank you for your kind comments and taking the time to review us on trip advisor.

I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and moreover and happy that you were able to enjoy the views and a glass of wine on the terrace in October.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back in the future and please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can help with any reservations.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We returned to this wonderful hotel for our wedding anniversary, having got married there last year. We were thoroughly spoilt and the staff very attentive and kind, and made it a very special stay, one we will certainly remember.
The location is stunning and you unwind as soon as you go up the driveway, very peaceful and tranquil.
Please do yourself a favour, if you want a treat, go here you won't find better service and quality.

Dear Guests

I’m glad you enjoyed your anniversary and we do hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future and please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can help in anyway

London
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We had popped in here for a lunch a year ago and enjoyed the ambiance, so at the last minute we decided to do a Sunday night stay and go walking in the Cotswolds the next day.
Reception was very helpful and we were shown to our room which was located a short walk from the main hotel - all the rooms have their own names which is a nice touch. The rooms are a very good size, as are the bathrooms and everything we needed was provided including facilities to make tea and coffee. We were on the ground floor and were aware of people walking on the wooden floors above us - not really a problem, but if I went back I'd ask for an upstairs room. The rooms also back on to a road which is where our satnav took us...but there is no entrance to the manor here, and one has to drive around to the front to find the way in.
We were offered dinner in the dining room but opted for lighter snacks in the lounge which were great.
The bar was well stocked, but this is probably the weakest point of the manor's facilities as it felt like it had been squeezed into a room that was just too small to be comfortable. Breakfast in the morning was good and really hard to fault. Overall we thought the service was excellent, and we received information on good walks in the area (the circular walk from Broadway is highly recommended). A really nice venue for a quiet get away!

1 Thank Ninkasi
Dear Guests

I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and will share your comments with the team here at the hotel. The hotel bar as you say is a little on the small size, but we do have two more spacious lounges as well as the terrace where guest can enjoy their drinks and light meals.

London
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This is indeed a lovely hotel, just a couple of miles outside Chipping Camden and with views across miles of ravishing and unspoilt countryside. Even in August it was excellent value for money. The ancient manor-house is magnificent but intimate and has a magical, lavender-lined garden, rather like a more modest version of Raymond Blanc's Manoir. There's a tennis-court and a giant chess set next to it, and lots of parking space tucked away out of sight. To our surprise, and with no fuss at all, we were upgraded to a suite, simply because the management prefers them to be used. This one had a wonderful bed, nice smellies in the bathroom and an outlook over the lawns, especially beautiful in the early morning. A gorgeous cream tea on the lawns followed check-in. Dinner was reasonably priced and impeccably served: a good menu selection, though perhaps on the heavy side two nights running, and the wine-list could usefully be enlarged a bit. Breakfasts admirably full and hearty, or light and healthy to suit preference. There is a small and echoey swimming-pool - useful to keep children happy after the day's outings, but not properly described as a spa.

Two things made Charingworth very special for a much needed short break: service and tranquillity. The former is effortlessly attentive without being obsequious, the latter benign without being funereal. No piped music, thank goodness, and nothing more than unobtrusive jazz over dinner (presumably for the benefit of couples with nothing to say to each other). A large Japanese party on its way from Stratford was so effortlessly accommodated as to be practically unnoticeable.

I would recommend this beautiful hotel to anyone and look forward enormously to our next stay.

Adrian, London

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Adrian S
Dear Guests

I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and will share your comments with the team here at the hotel, we do hope to be able to welcome you back in the future and please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can help with any reservations.

Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

The hotel is set in the lovely Cotswolds and surrounded by beautiful countryside.
I organised this night away as a special occasion for my partner.
The room was The Gilbert Room with a four poster bed, it was stunning.
The evening meal was amazing and restaurant staff extremely professional.
In the morning we really wanted to have a dip in the pool and asked the reception team if we could check out at 11.30, unfortunately this was declined as the room was booked for that evening. I was disappointed that the reception staff could not be flexible by letting us check out half an hour later so we could experience the leisure facilities, especially as I had paid over £300 for a one night stay!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Guests

Thank you for your kind comments, I’m sorry we were unable to let you keep your room a little longer.
We should have explained that you could of course still use the leisure facilities for the remainder of your departure day, as even though we could not give you your room a little longer there are lockers, showers and full changing facilities in the pool that you could have used.
I do hope we are able to welcome you back in the near future and please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can help with any future reservations

warwickshire
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This was our second visit to Charringworth for afternoon tea and it did not disappoint.

I telephoned the night before to arrange the booking, Rick was very helpful in arranging the booking and adjusting the time of arrival on the day when we fell behind our schedule at Broadway!
As a vegetarian some hotels find it difficult to accommodate me but Charringworth made four different sandwiches, all vegetarian.
Tea or coffee was offered and served piping hot, refills were available, and no time pressure to eat and leave.
All staff we met were polite courteous.
It is difficult to eat 4 sandwiches, two cream scones and 3 cakes, but we tried our hardest.
would we go again?, of course its a no brainer!

Dear Guests
Thank you very much for your kind comments, I’m glad you enjoyed your afternoon tea with us and we do hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chipping Campden
#5 of 6 in Broadway
The Slaughters Country Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter

Been to Charingworth Manor? Share your experiences!