“Beautiful stopping off point for the Cotswolds”
Review of Charingworth Manor

Charingworth Manor
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We had booked a standard double with extra bed for our daughter for a Friday night and were upgraded to a suite upon arrival. Dinner was excellent with the waiter especially patient with my wife's fussy order. We used the swimming pool on the Saturday which was a real treat for a hotel of this size. All the staff were excellent and really friendly, especially to the little one which is always appreciated. I would highly recommend and would most definitely stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Matt70380
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Guests

Thank you for your kind comments, I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future and please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can help with any reservations.

Michael Eastick

Write a ReviewReviews (1,063)

Reviewed 7 December 2013

As a reunion location of family, this hotel was ideally suited in a wonderful part of England.
The reception/restaurant/room staff were all very helpful and friendly and our Cocker Spaniel Alfie really enjoyed the large surrounding grounds as well as his owners comfortable room.

Room Tip: Choose room in main hotel otherwise its a long walk to restaurant.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guests

Thank you for your kind comments, I’m glad you all including Alfie enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

My Partner and I recently had a wonderful stay at Charingworth Manor. It's a charming building, set in beautiful surroundings.

All of the staff we met were superb and welcomed us at every turn, in particular Sarah on reception, who went above and beyond to ensure we were able to stay at short notice and welcomed us upon our arrival and, Robert who waited our table, offering an attentive and professional service with excellent suggestions on the menu and for drinks... The food was lovely, cooked perfectly, with well balanced ingredients (compliments to the Chef!) and they offer an extensive drinks selection at fairly reasonable prices.

As we were celebrating our anniversary, we were also offered a complementary glass of champagne! Completely not expected but, a lovely and thoughtful touch. Thank you.

There are a couple of small 'buts'... for the money we paid, we were surprised to find the breakfast options were at an additional cost. Not to have a full English breakfast included was a shame and at £15 each, we thought a little steep.
Also the changing facilities in the swimming pool area were a little cramped and tired looking, as was the steam room. The pool itself was very nice though.

The 'buts' aside, we had a fantastic stay and would recommend the Hotel to anyone. Thank you for making our anniversary so memorable!

Andi - Swindon

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andi D
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Guests

I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments, I will share these with the team here at Charingworth and especially to Sarah and Robert.

I’m sorry there was some confusion with your breakfast as all our bedroom rates include A Traditional English Breakfast, we do show the price on the menus for both English and Continental options as we do have non staying guests who have breakfast with us.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future and next time have a double breakfast to make up for what you missed this time.

Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Room was not as described. It too far out from town..were told its walking distance. Not extremely expensive but not worth the money we paid. Ignored at dinner, the couples on other tables had extremely attentative service whilst we kept getting ignored, did not feel welcome. My wife kept feeling like we were odd ones out, special occassion was not special at all. The place was clean I give it that, and great scenery.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank hopefultraveller201
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Dear Guests

We appreciate when guests share their comments and like to learn and improve on the areas where we may fall short.

You clearly did not enjoy your stay and I would have hoped that you would have brought your comments to our attention whilst here so we could try and resolve the issues before departure.

The village of Ebrington is a short 10 minute walk away and guests do walk from the hotel on a regular basis, Chipping Campden is about 20 minutes further away on foot and whilst we wouldn’t normally say this is easy walking distance guests frequently make the journey. I’m sorry you felt ignored at dinner especially as you say guests around you were receiving extremely attentive service and I would love the opportunity to speak with you further about your comments. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Lovely hotel, great staff who were friendly and helpful, service in the restaurant was excellent. Food was brilliant, room clean and comfortable. We enjoyed being able to use the pool after we had checked out.This was a lovely place to spend my birthday and we would love to come again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor. I’m very happy that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and I will share the comments with the staff at Charingworth.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Stayed here on Saturday for 1 night with my significant other. We had a deal for dinner, prosecco and canapés included with accommodation. We upgraded to a four poster room, the Gilbert room.

The location is a few miles outside of Chipping Campden in a stunning location down a long sweeping drive, alongside typical Cotswold scenes of sheep and rolling fields. The manor itself is very impressive.

We were met and shown to our room, all very efficient. The Gilbert room was lovely; big enough for our needs, four poster bed, period furniture and a great bathroom down a set of stairs. Amazing stone panelled windows, and a wonky floor to add to the charm! Tea and coffee was supplied, but I am a bit of a coffee snob and the instant Nescafé sachets were a bit of a let down!

The pool is nice, not 5 star but nice to while away an hour or so.

The bar was cute and small, but well stocked. The two lounge areas were beautiful, and we really enjoyed drinks by the roaring fire.

The restaurant was cosy and tables spaced nicely. The food was superb and with excellent service, first class! Fantastic wine selection also; I can see that people would just come here for the food alone. Breakfast was an equally enjoyable affair but we had to pay extra for eggs Benedict on an otherwise expensive package (and extra for vegetables with our dinner).

All in all we did enjoy our stay but this is an expensive break away, which I think is similar in hotels of this type in the Cotswolds, so not necessarily a criticism of this hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I’m very happy that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and I will share the comments with the team hear at the hotel.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future and we can arrange a cafatiere and fresh ground coffee to be in your room on your next visit.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Gorgeous grounds, view and Manor. Room was clean and setting calm and quiet.

We checked in on Friday November 22, staying in the Warwick room, I called down to book a table and was told there was no need really as the restaurant was quiet that evening - I booked anyway for 2000.

We were having a drink in the lounge and at 10 past the waiter came in and dropped some waiters on our table and walked away. Came back 2 minutes later to take an order. We ordered and told him we were not ready to sit down just yet. He then proceeded to gesticulate in the most dramatic fashion about a huge party that were coming in for quarter past 8 and that he wouldn't be able to guarantee we would be able to eat and that we had to sit at our table right now. He was so confrontational and rude. When we sat down and looked around for this big party, none was to be found then or at any point for the rest of the evening. We totally and blatantly lied to. Completely ruined the weekend.

For the room rates and the price of dinner you would think, there would be a slight more focus on service and making sure the people staying at the manor felt welcome. 2 hours into hour stay and that was totally shot out of the water. We even cut our stay short and left early.

The rest of the staff were nice - Shame one idiot has to ruin it for everyone, and based on this we would not return to your hotel or recommend you to a friend.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VP411

Dear Guests

Firstly let me apologise and I’m saddened by your comments in relation to the restaurant team member and of course I will speak with the staff on duty and fully investigate the situation.

As you will see from our other reviews on Trip Advisor, the service and friendliness of the staff is one of the areas were we normally receive excellent comments and I’m sorry we fell short on this occasion.

If you would like to speak with me further on the matter please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chipping Campden
#3 of 3 in Chipping Campden
The Slaughters Country Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter

Been to Charingworth Manor? Share your experiences!