“Relaxing and comfortable”

Charingworth Manor
London
“Relaxing and comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed for one night earlier in the month ( was visiting relatives for lunch in Oxford and decided to have a night away with my sisters. ) I had a double room for myself in the old/original part of the building which had a very comfortable bed, good sized bathroom and a lovely outlook over the garden and countryside beyond. My sisters shared a twin room in a newer wing which they said was also very comfortable. The hotel is in a quiet location a couple of miles outside Chipping Campden and perfect for an 'away from it all' escape. Service was efficient and we were able to have a light one-course supper in one of the sitting rooms as none of us felt hungry enough for a dining room experience. The hotel has much charm but needs to spend a little time and money on some of the fittings, furnishings and fabrics as it is looking distinctly tired around some edges... Breakfast was good, a combination of help yourself and 'cooked breakfast' done to order. would I stay there again? Yes.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this review, 14 September 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments and I will share these with the team here at Charingworth.

Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We were recommended Charingworth Manor whilst staying at another hotel as we were struggling to look for a dog friendly hotel to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. We certainly were not disappointed!
The buildings are very old but the rooms are all very good and the area is rural, so very quiet. Breakfast is good but not stunning, but our evening meals were all superb. The Manor main buildings are all quite original externally and largely original internally - it is certainly popular with Japanese tourists! There are several never buildings detached from the main house and these have been built to be sympathetic to the surroundings.
If I have to summarise my visit - very good food, superb staff, feeling of complete relaxation, and we will be back!

1 Thank JohnTad
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments am glad you enjoyed your anniversary stay with us.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

The staff were wonderful and accommodating. The best sleep I had during my 2 weeks vacation...very comfy bed. Happy that our 2 children could be accomodated as well, but the sleeper sofa and cot weren't very comfortable for them. The food was delicious, the grounds are gorgeous! A very special place to end our 2 week holidays. We all loved it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. Although our room was lovely (Rose, rm 112), it looked out onto the roof...
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments I’m glad you had a restful sleep and sorry your children were not so comfortable

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night and whilst the service was good and the food (afternoon tea and dinner) was lovely, the hotel itself was quite tired and the rooms I would say are over priced for what they are.

Not a bad experience but not somewhere I will rush back to

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Emma T
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments, I’m sorry you found us a little tired and pricey, we do offer dinner bed and breakfast rates from £149 per room subject to availability, which we believe to be very competitive and offer great value for money.
I would love the opportunity to speak with you directly and please don’t hesitate to contact me if you wish to do so.

Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Everything about this hotel is perfect, We arrived and they gave us a free upgrade to a suite which was lovely. The suite had window bay seating with lovely views a stand alone bath and even l'ocatainne toiletries. The swimming pool is just the right size, it also has a sauna and steam room.The food was great. We were bought over a amuse bouche, just before our starter which was some kind of soup. Full english breakfast was made to order and used local products.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bizvan
Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, I will pass these on to the team here at the Manor.
I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Walton-on-Thames, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed here a couple of years ago and really had a lovely restful time in the TS Elliot room.Having had a few stressful months, me and my husband had a few days to ourselves so decided to treat ourselves to the special offer of 2 nights with one evening meal and breakfast both days.

I will just get the 2 negatives out of the way first.The room we were put in - the Cheltenham seemed nice at first - a bit dark but roomy.However, when I went in the bathroom there were a couple of ants and when I got rid of them, loads came swarming out from under the bath.My husband went down to reception and they sent a very pleasant young woman with some spray as a temporary measure.

At this point, being a bit insect phobic, I would rather have moved rooms but didn't want to make any more fuss.However, when I went back in the bathroom I saw the bath had great big dirty tide marks round the inside and the whole reason I go to hotels is to relax...not worry about dirt....not sure if the bath needed new enamel but really put me off ...needed a good scrub.

So I rang up reception (sorry probably did come over as a bit rude but thought it best to rectify my disappointment then rather than let it spoil the whole trip) and was said that someone could be sent down to clean it -my response to this was that I would prefer to move.

To give the person credit, he did at that point, say I could look at another room a few doors along - the Ferns.

The Ferns was a nicer room and the bath, although not sparkling was cleaner - the shower was looking a bit old and there was some rising damp around it but at least it did not seem quite so down at heel as the other one.

The rest of the room was lovely - sofa and chair, big tv, huge bed and very nice lightingbfrom various lamps.There was ample tea and coffee, biscuits and hot chocolate - bottled still and sparking water and L'Occatiane toiletries in the bathroom.

On to the positives - I'd give the staff a 5 out of 5 score.The food was much better than last time - two nice choices for the main course for me as a veggie.Beautifully presented and the veg was cooked just right.Also the bread tasted home made.

The garden is lovely, especially at this time of the year - peaceful and filled with bees and butterfiles fluttering around and lots of beautiful summer flowers.

The hotel has a lot of history which is really captured very well in sympathetic renovations.

The pool looks very nice and did not look too busy.There is also a small gym and a tennis court.

We spent most of the day sat in the garden on deckchairs.The wifi could be picked up there and in the restaurant and although it was also reaching the Cheltenham room, it wasn't strong enough for the Ferns room.Also th3 mobile signal was not always strong.

Would I stay again - I think the answer is definitely yes but a more detail3d description of the rooms would help and they do seem to vary in quality especially the bathrooms.I booked a classic double thinking that at 258 for 2 nights, it would be reasonably luxurious for that price.

Despite the couple of negatives, I would recommend the hotel as a lovely place to stay but would advise that you do a bit of research about the tyoe of room you book.

Also a warning about the drinks from the bar - 16 pounds for one single and 1 double shot of spirits.Nice to sit on the terrace and drink it though in the warmth of the evening.

Thanks to all the staff for their efforts and hard work.

Room Tip: TS Elliot room was special.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jayne C
Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, I’m sorry for the issue with your first room and of course whilst we endeavour to keep on top of pests, ants will always find a way to get into the building no matter what we do to try and keep them out.
I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us overall and we hope to welcome you back in the near future

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

The hotel is lovely with stunning views..... We were celebrating our Anniversary and were upgraded to a suite on arrival. All staff were welcoming from the moment we entered the hotel.
We had Dinner in the hotel both nights and were impressed with the food.
On the first evening Robert was looking after us, he was charming and I was impressed that he asked did I want my wine refilled instead of just doing so..
Before our desserts arrived we were each given a glass of fizz to celebrate our anniversary (nice touch) and our puddings had "Happy Anniversary" in chocolate on them. We asked to speak with the pastry chef as the puddings were so good, Dan arrived a little nervous, we were very impressed after chatting with him. Special thanks to Igor from our first meeting serving our scones on the lawn to our last breakfast and the lovely chat we had that morning....
Would recommend without hesitation!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

The Manor House Hotel
The Manor House Hotel
#3 of 3 in Moreton-in-Marsh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,024 reviews

Been to Charingworth Manor? Share your experiences!