“Disappionting Charingorth!!!”
Review of Charingworth Manor

Charingworth Manor
Reviewed 3 March 2009

After reading all the "5 out of 5 " glowing reviews, I just thought I'd write my thoughts down...yes, gorgeous location and beautiful country manor style hotel...now for the bad points...
1) room - not cleaned properly - fixtures extremely dusty and glass/cup ringmarks on bedside tables throughout 2 day stay
2) pool - cold and renovation work being carried out, changing rooms were grubby.
3) leisure spa - opened in '92 - is desperately in need of a re-vamp
4) staff - ok, we felt they were very un-interested in their customers
5) food - a massive let down and very limited in choice
All in all, we didn't think our weekend was value for money

1  Thank Napoleon_08
There are newer reviews for Charingworth Manor

Reviewed 1 March 2009

I think you must always remember it is hard to make very very old properties like this one really chic so accept that before you go. Also websites can always make them look better than they are. Saying that once over the initial slight disappointment in surroundings the place grew on me. We had a superior bedroom with a lovely view across the countryside, which was quite spacious, comfortable with a modern bathroom. The restaurant had character and was quite romantic. The food was of good quality and well displayed although a little limited in choice. Breaklfast was very good and cooked to order which is a bonus these days with large buffet style restaurants so popular. The pool was attractive and warm but the changing facilities could have been cleaner. The staff were pleasent and helpful.
We had a 'deal' with the booking which meant our room was half price so for £85 B&B it was good value and well worth it. However at twice that price I would have been disappointed. If you want a peaceful break in an old character property then this is fine.

Reviewed 9 February 2009

This would have been a 4/5 review - if it wasn't for the noise!

The good things: the hotel is in an idyllic picturesque location, up a sweeping drive with amazing views across the countryside. The hotel has recently been refurbished and the room was well appointed - this was a romantic getaway so had booked a four poster. Big plasma digital TV, great bathroom (apart from no shower curtain - which they knew about but hadn't changed). Dinner was very good quality, nice wine list and think the menu changed nightly. Pool is really nice to relax in - very warm!

The bad thing: our stay was totally ruined by guests using the hotel's main lounge after dinner for drinking. The bar is tiny, and there was a murder mystery weekend on at the same time for 40% of guests. They all decided to go for drinks after dinner, staying up til nearly 1am. Problem was this is a really old hotel - our suite was directly above the lounge and we could hear every single word. Our romantic evening was ruined by the noise - my wife was 32 weeks pregnant and we were looking forward to an early night and lots of lovely sleep. In the end at Midnight we ended up moving rooms, effectively downgrading, as there was only one room available. I know this kind of thing happens, but shame that there was no soundproofing at all (or that we had been warned about possible noise in advance). I did complain and got some money back, but unfortunately by that point the weekend was ruined.

My advice - stay here but make sure you get a room away from the public areas. It's very odd that one of their most expensive rooms is also subject to the most noise!

2  Thank TravellingBen
Reviewed 31 January 2009

I stayed here for a week in January. The public areas were beautiful- just as I would imagine an old manor house.

My room was modern and had a huge bed! All of the facilities were clean and well maintained. Breakfast was fantastic and the evening meals were of high quality- only gripe was the same menu for 5 days!

All of the team that I encountered were so helpful- nothing appeared to be too much trouble. Even hunting down flip charts was treated with concern for our loss! I would love to return to this hotel when I had more time to enjoy its facilities and the surroundings.

Many thanks to Michael and his team

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 3 December 2008

We booked for a weekend stay with our dog, as the kids were away. As we drove up to the hotel I thought it looked beautiful, and the communal areas for patrons were lovely. As we were shown to our room with patio, my heart sank, the room had dirty carpets, worn bedding, and faded wallpaper. The bathroom was particularly digusting with mold around the bath and behind the toiletAs i took the dog out of the back door there was a marquee obscuring the view with a nice tidy pile of fifty empty bottles outside the room! We decided that the room was long overdue a makeover. At dinner the head waiter was particularly stressed, the main courses had all but gone with my husband having the last lamb choice and the only options for me were fish or vegetarian! My husbands soup was unedible with too much salt - agreed by the waiter, we complained at the end of the meal and were taken to the lounge by the distraught waiter who gave us a complimentary drink and poured his heart out, saying the chef had left and all the good staff and he would be going soon, and he was really sorry. The next morning after a good breakfast, we asked to see the manager and checked out early. He took the time to listen to our experience and then didn't charge us for dinner. I believe that he is in the middle of renovation and wish him success. we would go back if the rooms and food improve as it is a lovely location.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank astburf
Reviewed 30 November 2008

...to all the staff at the Charingworth Manor. From booking the room over the phone to when we checked out everyone was very helpful and friendly (micheal the manager I think was vey good)

We took our 3 month old son and the hotel were very accommodating with a travel cot ready in our room and a high chair set up when we arrived for breakfast. (The breakfast was very good with a cold selection and cooked).

We didn't eat in the reastaurant as wanted something a bit more imformal so we ordered some food and ate in one of the lounges next to a log fire. The service again was great and food was good.

We had a refubished room and got a good rate. The room was large and with flat screen tv and large bathroom. I think all of the other rooms were still being refubished.

The swimining pool area was good and clean.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 November 2008

Stayed end of august , 3 nights for our wedding anniversary.
Got the "brochure room" in the main house with 16th century fireplace and view over croquet lawn.
Clean comfortable 4 poster bed etc and "luxury" bathroom everything we expected.
Room service breakfast was good more or less complete (as usual in England odd bits missing)
Restaurant service was hit and miss with the impression that the staff were un trained and although French inexperienced.
The food was fair to good but expensive at £37 per person for dinner.
The lounge was historically interesting and added character and charm.
The reception staff were welcoming and helpful even though they were in their office rather than at a desk although that is not unusual in historic properties.
I can see that if we had stayed in the annex or with 50 Japanese (or other) guests the ambience would not have been as good. We were fortunate that there only seemed to be a dozen guests over the whole weekend.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
#3 of 3 in Chipping Campden
Dormy House Hotel
Dormy House Hotel
#2 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Charingworth Manor? Share your experiences!