“Very Nice Indeed!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Charingworth Manor
Coleford, United Kingdom
“Very Nice Indeed!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

I chose this hotel after searching on the internet for a romantic place to stay and it was.
Rooms-Very nice rooms if ours was anything to go by. We stayed in the Ebrington suite (All rooms are named) which was fantastic! Good bathroom (no shower though but a huge bath). Bed large and comfortable and even had two large lcd tv's.

Food-First class, well presented and not too fussy.

Leisure Club-Very good club with lots of amenities, swimming pool, sauna, steam room e.t.c. If I was being really fussy the changing rooms could do with a bit if an update.

Staff-Very polite and helpful staff in all parts of the hotel. We both could not fault the service at all.

Hotel and Grounds-Beautiful!!!

Overall-A great place for a nice short break away. Not the cheapest thats for sure but for one or two nights as a treat, you can't go wrong.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2009

because of the pressures of family life my husband and Ifelt in need of a quiet break a place to relax and get body and sole together-we found it all at the Charingworth. The setting of the hotel overlooking unspoilt countryside was spectacular. The staff were warm and friendly without being intrusive,the attention to detail had all been in place before our arrival,which made our peace and comfort complete.The food was excellent and impeccably served one of the best places we have stated. A big thankyou to all.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Warrington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2009

We stayed here recently with a group of people from my wife's company. The hotel was very nice and as a group we were well looked after. The location is very pretty and the grounds very nice to walk around. Our room was very nice with its own patio outside.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank MSRQW
Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2009

I chose Charingworth Manor for a two night stay after looking where I could spend my Tesco Clubcard Deal vouchers and was throughly pleased that I picked the Cotswolds and this particular hotel. At first glance I thought that the experience may be a bit 'stuffy' for my liking but I was pleasantly surprised that we were made to feel very welcome and not just another 'annoying guest' as you may find in some chain hotels.
On arrival we were shown to where the pool area and restaurant were before being taken to our room - I thought this was a nice touch as quite often I find that you are left to fend for yourself so to speak and the first night somewhere new can quite often be uncomfortable.
On our first night we chose to dine in our room and had club sandwiches, dessert and wine from the room service menu - it was delicious. After a delicious meal we retired to our extremely comfortable bed for a nice relax. A few people mention noise in their rooms but we didn't experience this.
Breakfast in the hotel was lovely - I would absolutely recommend the eggs benedict which were to die for. All of the usuals were also on offer - full english, cereals, yoghrts, fruits and pastries.
The pool at the hotel was very nice and I agree with other reviews in that the gym didn't look particularly well equipped. The tennis court was great as this had fantastic views - tennis balls and rackets can be obtained foc from reception.
On our second night we decided not to dine in the hotel restaurant as the dress code stated 'trousers for men' and my partner had unfortunately only taken jeans. We did have a short drive to a nearby village called Alderminster and we ate at a pub called the bell which is highly recommended and cost a lot less than the restaurant at Charingworth Manor.
All in all we had a lovely peaceful stay at Charingworth Manor and I would stay again - particularly with a little help from Tesco's ;-)

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lauraloo1982
Middx
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2009

We booked this hotel for our wedding anniversary through Tesco clubcard deals. I had vouchers worth £120 but still had to pay another £220 for a two night stay. Fair enough, the hotel looked superb on the web-site. When we arrived, we were taken to the annexe to our room. Very disappointing as the views were onto a road, not quite the view over the five counties the hotel advertises! The manor house itself is very nice. We dined in the restaurant on our first night. Charming staff, but not asked how I wanted my lamb so presumed it would come slightly pink. Not so, very well done! I mentioned it to the waiter who agreed with me it should have been pink but that was the end of it. Champagne was warm from the bar.

We had to check out the next afternoon unexpectedly as my mother in law who was looking after my children did not feel well so we went to check out in the afternoon after staying one night. The receptionist said to the manager who was standing nearby attending to wedding guests "they're Tescos"... to which he responded, completely ignoring us standing there "they'll have to pay for the two nights" and then marched off! There was never any question of us not paying for the two nights, we had never raised it and had just politely asked for our bill. Having spent over £350 on our stay (the meal came to over £130) we were stunned at the rudeness. It was as if we were somehow inferior guests because we had booked with Tescos. Quite frankly, if they feel they are above such deals, the hotel should never sign up with them. The manager had no idea why we were booking out early; the receptionist at least did ask

Whoever designed the web site did a fantastic job - its just a shame it doesn't mention the fact that you are likely not to be staying in the manor house itself. Customer service (apart from the very nice waiters/bar staff) leaves a lot to be desired.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JessieMiddx
New Forest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2009

The old house and grounds are just the most fantastic location for a short break
A very enjoyable stay with our 2 children. The rooms are all fully redecorated since a stay a few years ago. Our room suffered with very poor sound insulation with footsteps clearly audible from the room above, apart from that everything was in excellent condition with just enough space for the 4 of us.
The food served in the restaurent both for our young children eating at 6.30 and for us after they had gone to bed was very good. The set menu did not change throughout out 3 night stay so for variety were picked from the a la carte for a supplemtry cost.
All the staff were extremeley plesent, and everything you asked for always got done which I find such a rariety. If you like real character in a hotel this estabilshment has absolutley loads and you can forgive the sound insulation problems and rather quirkey reception area. It really is quite beautiful.
The leisure centre was excellant for our children but a little more tired than the rest of the refurbished hotel.
My only concern was a disagreement over the charges for the childrens food and an attempt to charge for the extra beds in our room. We had booked and paid in full for Dinner Bed and Breakfast for 2 adults and 2 children through the hotels own website and did not consider any further charges to be appropiate, whatever the policey of the hotel that children meals were charged as taken. This should have been brought to our attention at the time of booking. As with all the other staff the hotel manager was very helpfull and the situation resolved to our satisfaction.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank JLGNewForest
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2009

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at Charingworth Manor for a weekend. We really enjoyed our stay. The refurbishments compliment the building and combine to make for a comfortable and stylish hotel. The food and service were excellent and staff were friendly and attentive.
We'd like to say thank you to Michael and his staff for a fantastic weekend! We would recommend the Ebrington suite for anyone celebrating a special occasion!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
The Manor House Hotel
The Manor House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Moreton-in-Marsh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,001 reviews

Been to Charingworth Manor? Share your experiences!