Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Noel Arms Hotel(Chipping Campden)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Buckland Manor(Broadway)
Redesdale Arms Hotel(Moreton-in-Marsh)
1,143 results
All reviewsjunior suitefig restauranthot tubturn down servicesteam roommood lightingsorbetspiral staircasesmall poolhomemade cookiescottage roomeggs benedictprivate gardenthe cottagesspecial occasionsister hotelmain restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Had a 3 night stay booked through SLH and loved it.Been here many times over the past and have always be very satisfied.Breakfast is terrific and on the night we had dinner is was wonderful.we had 2 rooms.23 and 25 which were extremely comfortable with great bathroom's.One small glitch,my bathrobe was very small and I would recommend they invest in some new ones.This is a great place to base yourself for a tour of the Wold's.
You also get a proper coffee maker in your room with lovely filter coffee.
A bit more attention to dusting wouldn't go amiss.

Room Tip: Become a member of Small Luxury Hotels of The Word
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2011

We checked into the hotel last Friday evening at around 6.45pm upon a recommendation.
The reception staff were surly and ambivolent. We asked for a deal as it was so late booking in only to be told we don't really do deals as people will expect the same price in the future..... The dutch lady on reception was cold and unhelpful although the porter tried to help but was way out of his depth. We were shown to a room that was just okay. Good point: it had ADSL internet connection.
The telephone didn't work in the room nor did the bathroom mirror light, the bathroom was grubby and the bedroom had stains on the celing from a water leak but apart from that....
The bar man was very good and the breakfast staff were very good and good food in the breakfast dining room.
The Spa area was excellent although we were never told about it on check in, we had to find it ourselves and only did so as we were leaving.
The whole event was not too good and we would not return to this hotel. We reported our findings to the morning reception staff and she said she would pass on our comments to the GM and he would call us as he was busy when we checked out at 11.30am . She didn't and we are still awaiting a call or an apology from him some 3 days later.
They show all the signs of going through the motions but actually don't care and at £280 for a basic room or £210 after a hard fought deal I would have expected much better greeting and hotel quality.
My advice: don't go until their room standards improve, they must be living, in my opinion, on past glories.

Room Tip: Book elswhere..
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2011

I am writing to say how very disappointed we were in the service we received when we stayed with Cotswold House recently. My partner and I spent the night there on Sunday 8th May as a birthday treat for me. To say the staff were unfriendly on check in ,is an understatement, they were offhand and disinterested .We decided to overlook this cold reception and before dinner ordered some cocktails in the bar where the staff were somewhat more cheery . However the cocktails we ordered BOTH arrived with bits of silver foil in them, and then when I tasted it, I realized that my caipirhinia had NO sugar in it with a couple of segments of limeand an overpowering taste of spirit- nothing like a normal caipirhinia ..When I brought this to the attentionof the barman he took it away and added A SINGLE SUGARCUBE !! which was left WHOLE sitting in the bottom of my glass..!!! I am agrieved that they have these cocktails on their bar menu when the staff clearly do not know how to make them, and yet are happy to charge premium prices ! After this error was brought to their attention one would have thought that the staff would at least offer to deduct this drink from our bill, BUT no, the lady manager pursued us out of the hotel asking us to sign for the drinks..I can only say this left a very bad taste in our mouths.
The following day we were once again subjected to surly behaviour from the member of staff who checked us out with- NOT A SMILE OR NICE COMMENT !!
We travel frequently and to say that the treatment we received at this hotel was a big disappointment , is an understatement. The room , view and gardens are lovely but Im afraid some of the members of staff leave a lot to be desired!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the back garden
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank evieb_11
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I feel a little awkward in criticising the hotel because one of the under managers was very helpful in upgrading us, but reviews should be objective and this is mine.
The location is great, right on the high st, and with ample parking to the rear. First impressions count, and our was not a good one. We were seen by a member of staff and a manager and were not ackowledged, just left standing in the lobby feeling ignored. The receptionist was however very personable when we finally got to check in. We were shown to our room (11) and on entering the room my mood nosedived. The room is apparently one of the most popular but we thought it dark, small and the much vaunted bathroom was a huge disappointment. The website images definately flattered to deceive. The french windows leading to the gardens were not very secure and my wife felt she would feel vunerable at night. There were also some bulbs which weren't working, and considering that the hotel blurb emphasises the mood lighting this was not good enough. The steam shower which looks great on the website emitted a constant hum which would be a problem for a light sleeper. Instead of the shower being "built in" and upmarket it was in fact a huge white metal box which my wife said looks like a shower for the disabled. As mentioned, we went to ask for a different room and were told there were none of the same category (j. suite) available.However, the young chap went away and returned with a key to a suite (grevel) which was offered with no increase in cost. This was very much appreciated and rescued our stay. Consider though that room 11 costs £360 per night. The room and hotel do not warrant the cost.

Breakfast is taken in the pleasant restaurant, with friendly staff serving made to order choices. The full english was tasty and hot, but why, considering the rates, do they serve half a mushroom and half a piece of black pudding. Little penny pinching things like this are very annoying. On the 2nd morning I asked the waitress if I could possibly have a whole slice of pudding, and the look I received spoke volumes.

We had a drink in the lounge bar a couple of times before going out. The lounge is a good size and very comfortable but is devoid of any atmosphere, and there is only Peroni on draught. In contrast, the Kings Hotel next door had a nice vibe and plenty of choice on draught. On the final evening we returned at about 11.30pm and found the lounge in darkness. Again, little things that rancour.

The hotel has a recently opened spa. The pool and relaxation area are superb, and there are a wide range of treatments on offer. I decided to have a 60 min aromatherepy massage. The masseuse was very nice, but if treatments I've had elsewhere could be likened to a ginger snap or coconut cream, the one at the spa would be a rich tea. Far from not wanting it to finish I couldn't wait to leave.

If all the above seems to indicate that we didn't enjoy our stay it would be untrue. The hotel has a nice feel and it is well kept,and the staff were friendly and helpful. Its just that at £360 I would expect more than we got. Chipping Campden is ideal as a base, and in fact we plan to return in June to experience the carinival weekend but unfortunately will not return to the Cotswold House. We would have to have the Grevel or similar and just can't justify the £400+ cost.

Room Tip: Don't pay full rates, book a garden room.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jewelleryjohn
Reviewed 18 April 2011

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights on honeymoon in February and we loved it. We started our stay with an intimate wedding breakfast with our immediate family following our wedding ceremony in Stratford. The hotel pulled together a special menu for us for the day, we had a small private room just off the main restaurant and a dedicated waiter. The service and the food quality for all of us (including two children) was fantastic, we could not have asked for anything better.

Our room (number 11) had been changed at the last minute after the room (Hitcote suite) we had booked was unavailable due to a gas leak. As we were staying at the sister hotel (The Noel) the night before our wedding, we were contacted and asked to pop along and chose another suite which we did do.

Our room was fantastic, beautifully decorated, the bed very comfortable and a wonderful bathroom. We also received a complimentary bottle of champagne on our second night after learning they were unable to move us back into the Hitcote as they had hoped for. We were diappointed about the Hitcote Suite, mainly because that room offered a private garden with hot tub, however the large bath and steam room shower was very welcome at the end of a long day horse riding.

The spa facilities were fantastic and the spa staff very attentive. The spa is well worth a visit.

The hotel grounds are also lovely, with some fabulous art works scattered throughout the gardens and paths.

Overall we found the hotel service to be of a very high calibre, the staff were very friendly helpful and attentive. The only downside was the breakfast service, one morning we waited 45 minutes for any food to arrive at all, (there were 3 couples in the restaurant this particular morning and who appeared to be the manager of the spa and the waitress got every single breakfast order incorrect at least twice) and by the time it did we were so short of time I only managed a couple of mouthfulls before we had to leave as we had activities booked which had specific start times. This was hugely frustrating as there was no reason for it at all.

Upon check out there was also some confusion about what had been included in our room rate (we had a dinner, bed and breakfast rate) and what was still to pay, which was a little frustrasting.

Overall though, we would recommend this hotel. If your going for a special occasion, do get in touch with the events co-ordinator Charlotte who was very good and very competent.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple