“Hotel great, spa not so great!”

Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
London, United Kingdom
“Hotel great, spa not so great!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We booked two nights at this hotel via Groupon and stayed late October 2013. We arrived late on a Sunday and were greeted by a friendly receptionist who showed us to our room.

Room - The room itself was clean, tidy and had some little extras which other hotels really need to take note from. Such as a cafetiere, proper coffee and fresh milk in the fridge. Bottled water and cookies were also waiting for us when we arrived. As they say, it's the little things. The bed was really comfy and we both slept really well. The bathroom was nice but not the best. The TV in the bathroom was a nice touch, if only it worked properly. We had the same problem with the TV in the bedroom. Don't get me wrong, we were not on a spa break to watch TV but it would be nice to have the option.

Food - The Grill was fantastic as were the waiters. We loved the food! If the Italian restaurant down the road was open on a Monday we would have gone there but were happy to eat at The Grill again on our second night.

Spa - Sorry guys, this is really letting you down. I can't complain about the Staff, they are really lovely and my back massage was fantastic. If you want to go for treatments then this would probably suit you. If you are like us and love saunas, pools, steam rooms etc then go some where else. We thought the hydrotherapy pool was nice and a good temperature. Around the hydrotherapy pool there are some loungers, but not many. Luckily it wasn't too busy when we went. The steam room wasn't working which was a real disappointment. As much as I love relaxing and time in a spa, there is only so much hydrotherapy pool and lying down on a lounge chair you can do. The ladies changing room was clean and tidy and the shower was good. But the room itself is too small. You really are changing on top of each other.

On the whole a lovely couple of days away and we fell in love with Chipping Campden. I am only writing the above negatives as I really think this place has potential. Hotel and staff were great, spa not quite there.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 09asdf
ManagerCHHotel, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear 09asdf,

Thank you for your lovely review and we are happy to hear you had a great stay in general and enjoyed our great Chef's menus.

I must thank you for your helpful comments on the spa too and though you experienced a few unusual issues the Spa is not, in the main, an area of the business that lets us down. Far from it, it offers a greatly enhanced experience to guests staying at Cotswold House Hotel. However I am sincerely sorry that on this occasion we did not get it right and your helpful comments will assist me in addressing these areas.

Michael and Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Having spent 2 nights at the 'Award Winning Hotel' I felt the need to review my experience. Firstly, the spa, I must admit I was disappointed that there was no outdoor hot tub as shown in some of the hotel's advertising material. These are only available if you choose to book a Hot tub suite or cottage. The hydrotherapy pool was luke warm and the jets of water coming out of the Jacuzzi beds were cold! I overheard other people commenting on this too whilst I was there. The seated Jacuzzi area of the pool was not working at all! No notice to that effect displayed anywhere, and no mention of it from the receptionist. In the changing rooms there were no bags available to put ones wet swimwear. One of the showers did not have shower gel or shampoo for the two days I was there. When enquiring as to whether we could have a hot drink in the spa, we were told 'no' there was only water available from the water dispenser. We later found out from the spa manager, that we could have used the 'Quietude' room and had a hot drink brought over from the hotel. This information was not forthcoming; I was not even aware of this room until I had received a treatment on the second day and was taken there afterwards for a cup of water. Even then, no-one told me that this room was available for use at any time. Having said that, the treatment I received from Tracy was excellent. She was very professional and informative. My friend also received an excellent treatment and was so impressed that she purchased the skincare products used. The hotel; we had paid for a room upgrade, and were therefore disappointed that, after settling down one evening to watch a DVD, our DVD player wouldn't work. I tried to ring down to reception on the internal phone, but without success. The phone kept dialling but no-one answered. Eventually, I rang on my mobile! We were told the next day that the phone wasn't charged. It most certainly was! As the maintenance guy was unable to fix the DVD we were offered a room across the hall to go & watch the DVD and even move to for that night. The food in the Grill was average, I had to return my Eggs Benedict on the second morning as the Hollandaise sauce was just like eating vinegar! On the plus side, all the staff I came into contact with were very friendly and helpful. It is a lovely little hotel, and I did enjoy my break, but I probably wouldn't consider going back there for a Spa break.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 7463SEB
Dear 7364SEB,

I am very sorry to hear you did not experience the usual and exceptionally good experiences our wonderfiul little spa offers our guests.

Thank you for all of your feedback which certainly assists me in identifying where we occasionally fall short of the mark in meeting high expectations.

I do hope you visit us again in the future so you can leave having experience our usual high standards and I am sorry we let you down on this occasion.

With kind regards,

Chipping Campden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

In a word - flawless! From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, everything about the suite, staff and cuisine was nothing short of perfect. Stunning bathroom and a living/sleeping area you just dont want to leave. The restaurant offered a varied menu with something for everyone, beautiful fresh ingredients cooked to perfection and excellent value. We would have no reservation in recommending the hotel and restaurant to anyone for a short break, breakfast, lunch or dinner - perfect for every occasion.

Room Tip: Room 11 on the ground floor (junior suite) is a place you would love to come home to every day.
Dear Neil D,

You are both welcome to come "home" any time you wish! Thank you for a lovely review and we are so pleased we made your birthday occasion a special one.

Many Happy Returns!!

MIchael and Team
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

Cotswold House Hotel & spa is simply one of the loveliest places in Chipping Campden maybe even the Cotswolds. The Hotel, Food, Spa and Staff all go the extra mile to make this place so special.
The rooms are finished to a high standard, lovely furnishings including a very comfortable king size bed and very clean, everything seems to have been thought of to make your stay feel so special. The Breakfast was delicious, lots of choice, delightful surroundings with attentive friendly staff.
While we didn't have any treatments, the pool and steam room area in the Spa were very relaxing and again the staff were very attentive and friendly. We shall be back very soon I'm sure and defiantly recommend it to friends and family. Particularly as we had an offer with BeSpoke hotels.

Room Tip: Any room I'm sure is great
Dear Smiths831,

You are entirely correct in saying Cotswold House is a lovely venue in a pretty town in an exceptionally beautiful part of Britain but we never take this for granted! As you experienced, the Team and I are totally committed in ensuring that, having arrived, our guests are looked after and made to feel special from the moment they step through the door and I am very grateful for your kind and encouraging feedback about this. It does make a big difference with the team when they receive such lovely feedback and is always greatly appreacited!

Kindest Regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

My best friend and I chose this hotel largely because of the spa. Ideal for mid-week break. I can honestly say that after two nights here we both felt like we'd had a much longer break and felt completely rejuvenated. Amazing food in the hotel and spa fab. Beautiful bedroom too, with the world's most comfortable bed. Perfect.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Katesopwith
Dear Katesopwith,

Its lovely to hear that we made your stay so rejuvinating. I totally agree that with the surrounding gardens and the pretty little Cotswold village of Chipping Campden, Cotswold House Hotel is truly relaxing place to stay.

Good to hear that you both enjoyed your meals from our fantastic new Head Chef, Mini Patel too whose new menus are proving a great success to all our discerning guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Devon, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

We paid for a winter break 2 night deal on 'Mrs&Mrs Smith' which was in itself a great deal so we were thrilled when we were given an automatic upgrade into a suite. There was no fuss made of this which made it feel extra special as we had no idea until we were shown into the room which had a lounge area with huge gas fire place, comfortable small sofa and large TV.

The bathroom was something else! The huge 2 person granite egg-shaped bath was the ultimate was to relax. Each room had it's own light control system and for the bathroom this included a 'mood' light setting which featured a very contemporary light fixture over the bath (which was a piece of artwork in itself) and directly over the rain shower (which also had a separate detachable shower head) there were lights which changed colour.

The bedroom was nice with a lovely huge, comfortable bed. there wasn't much room to move around from the far side of it though so if you get up lots in the night it night not be ideal.

The room also had doors out into it's own walled, private courtyard with a table and chair which would have been lovely when the weather was warmer.

The tea and coffee facilities were excellent and there was a mini fridge which contained proper milk and bottles of still and sparking water. There were also homemade biscuits for us when we arrived. As part of our Mr&Mrs Smith booking deal we had a bottle of champagne waiting for us and we were impressed to discover from the wine menu that this was worth £50 (cynically we had assumed it would be a cheap and cheerful bottle).

We used the spa facilities both days and spent over 3 hours by the pool on the second day as the weather wasn't so good, and we were the only ones there the whole time (admittedly it was probably due to it being mid-week in January). It was a very relaxing space but not pretentious in any way. the hydro-pool was lovely as you could lie on one of the 'jacuzzi' beds and then slip straight back into the pool. The steam room was great too and we didn't have any massages as we were quite content.

We ate in The Grill and the fillet steak was phenomenal - probably the best I've ever had and worth ever penny. All of the dishes were beautifully presented and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

The breakfast was very tasty too and there was plenty of choice from a continental selection of pastries, cereal and fruit as well as a full hot breakfast menu, including Eggs Benedict which is my personal favourite and set up in perfectly for a day out and about.

Our room was at the front of the hotel so we could access it via a separate entrance which was really lovely. Despite being next to the road (which isn't a busy one anyway) we didn't hear a thing as the bedroom is at the rear and only the lounge area is at the front which made it feel more private and cosy.

Please note, this is not a room to stay in if your a new couple or a private person as there is no door to the bathroom from the bedroom (just a curtain across the doorway).

We had a wonderful few days at the Cotswold House Hotel and were instantly drawn to it's relaxed, informal demeanor that didn't lack the elegance and charm you would expect to find in such a hotel in the Cotswolds.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Scalaria
Dear Scalaria,

Thank you!

Its great to know you had a wonderful stay from start to fininsh. Our Team work exceptionally hard to ensure our guests have a comfortable and enjoyable stay and we all appreciate such positive feedback that you have kindly posted.

With best wishes,

Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

Fantastic service from check-in to check out at this lovely hotel in the Cotswolds. Nothing too much trouble. Fantastic rooms - designed for ultimate relaxation and pampering. Food in the hotel restaurant is well presented and delicious, again with excellent and attentive service. The spa treatments are wonderfully relaxing (Shea butter massage well worth trying) and spa staff were all friendly and helpful. Excellent hotel for a romantic and relaxing break.

Room Tip: The junior suite on the ground floor has a spectacular bathroom with steam shower, huge egg shaped b...
Dear Andy H,

The Shea treatments are superb and very relaxing so thank you for your kind remarks and your recommendation which is much appreciated by the Spa Team. We are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay entire!

MIchael and Team
Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,371 reviews

Been to Cotswold House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!