“easy and friendly”

Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Dublin, Ireland
“easy and friendly”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I regularly visit Oxford and this stay at Cotswold House was not my first. I am very happy with its location, my room is always comfortable and clean. Well presented. Large rooms with good facilities.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
ManagerCHHotel, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Paul B,

A warm reception and consistency are certainly two aspects we place great value on as a Hospitality business so I am delighted you have had experienced this over the course of your recent stays. We will ensure this trend continues with the greatest of pleasure!

I hope to meet you in person during one of your up-coming stays so I can thank you in person.

Michael and Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We have just returned from an overnight stay at Cotswold house. The experience was excellent from start to finish. This began with receiving a phone call the night prior to our stay to inform that we had been upgraded to a superior room housing an "ammique bed" - this bed was very comfortable and I think available in of the superior rooms - so well worth the upgrade. We both had spa treatments and used the facilities prior to checking in at the hotel. These treatments were excellent, and left us both feeling very relaxed. A nice touch was complimentary water and sorbet in the relaxation room following treatment. The spa area itself, although busy due it being a Saturday, did not have a feeling of being overcrowded. The pool and steam room room were again very relaxing and a great way to unwind. Another highlight of the spa area are the staff, who without exception well polite, friendly and helpful. They are also very attentive and maintain high levels of cleanliness within the spa.

We checked in to the hotel itself and were escorted to our room by again a very polite and friendly member of staff. The room was lovely, with a large king size bed, seating area, tea and coffee making facilities (cafetiere coffee) and fresh milk, orange juice and water in the fridge. The bathroom was great with a large shower and separate large bath. The toiletries provides were of a high quality and the extra of slippers and gown made for a very relaxing break.

We had dinner in the grill restaurant. The food was excellent, and the staff were again very attentive. I was given the impression that nothing was too much trouble. This was the case again at breakfast, where we were quickly shown to our seats and were provided with a delicious meal.

Something that really made the hotel stand out for me was the approach and friendliness of the staff. When there is so much choice of where to stay, I feel this really makes a difference when deciding to return. On the basis of the service received we will be doing so.

The garden and ground were lovely, and I would intend to visit again during the summer months to appreciate this.

One small niggle was that the shower pressure was not great, and we struggled to get the water very hot at any point. Having said this, the water for the bath maintained a very warm heat. This could be frustrating if you just wanted a quick hot shower after using the spa facilities. I only note this as it is something that could probably be easily resolved. It would not stop me staying again however.

Room Tip: Try for a superior room with the ammique system beds.
1 Thank HayleyElinor
ManagerCHHotel, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear HayleyElanor,

Thank you for your wonderful review and what is even more pleasing is you had such a wonderful stay, meals and our stunning location.

I hope you will be back very soon to experience Cotswold House Hotel in Summer bloom and so we can treat you all over again!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

After looking for a base to explore the Cotswolds, we settled on the Cotswold House Hotel for its location and style. After an incredibly stressful few months, we were beside ourselves to have left London and finally arrived in beautiful Chipping Campden.

The hotel itself is a lovely grand building with pretty garden and terraces, in the heart of the village. We were delighted when we arrived at how lovely everything looked, the receptionist was ever so friendly and took us to our Superior King room (number 7), up the beautiful spiral staircase. The room was a great size, the bed large and the view over the village was welcome after the drive. We quickly started to pick up on little details though, that just tarnished the initial impression a bit. We've stayed in various hotels of different styles and ratings over the years and what jumped out at us was a very slapdash finish of the interior. The window frames in the bathroom had paint on the panes where it had been hastily applied, the bathroom door was almost impossible to close as it didn't fit in the frame, and the paint around the dated plastic handle was discoloured and marked. The last point was purely because emulsion had been used which marks easily. These things, although seemingly small, just took the shine off what was fundamentally a very decent room. Someone had obviously signed off this poor decorative job, which gives the impression that they don't care about the base quality, more about the *appearance* of being a luxury hotel.

Such a shame as there are so many positive things about this hotel. The extras are great. The REN toiletries, thick fluffy towels, comfy bed, room size, tea and coffee area, complimentary homemade biscuits- all very nice and high quality touches. Breakfast was good- the mini croissants having all the flavour of proper French pastries and the full English using really great quality ingredients. Service was always polite and friendly.

We did enjoy our stay and it served us well as a base, but with a little bit of attention to the quality of finish in the rooms I think this hotel would go from feeling a bit dated to something very special and memorable. Certainly, overall it was a pleasant visit, just perhaps not living up to our hopes.

Dear eroewen,

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay overall and we are working hard at putting the polish onto the niggles you described. Fortunately the new program of maintenance is working wonders and that transformation has already begun!

I hope you can visit us again where we might live up to 100% of your expectations! I really appreciate your feedback though as it is very helpful.

Best wishes,

Michael Obray
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel at the end of our family break in the Cotswolds on the 18th-19th March, in the general Chipping Campden area. I for one must say that I was blown away by the service I received here. We had some delicious sandwiches for lunch, and were attended to by possibly the absolute best waiter (possibly a manager, not sure - should be if not) I have ever had service from. I didn't catch his name, however he was of a fairly slim build and quite tall. He was so polite, welcoming, well spoken and calm, making us feel so relaxed which is just what we needed. We felt like we were treated like royalty in fact! I would also like to say that someone who struck me as possibly a new member of staff (a young man) was fantastic and does not need to be nervous at all. I hope he stays with the Cotswold hotel and flourishes. Finally, a foreign girl who served us in the bar for a drink later was equally pleasant and polite. Didn't use the spa, but from reading the reviews, I'm sure it's equally as good. Thank you for such a fantastic end to our break - yes the rooms were clean, and the food good, but what made it for us was the people there! Might I suggest a comments card in the room? I'd have given you a glowing review on that too :D

Room Tip: Just stay here! Any room is brilliant, and this is without doubt the best hotel in Chipping Campden.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
ManagerCHHotel, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear PianoBen,

We all really appreciate your positive comments.

We certainly do strive to deliver a guest experince that sets us apart despite being number 3 (but whats in a number when reality renders it irrelevant!).

The Team truly apprecaites your comments on the service and as I stated in my response to the previous reveiw the team strive to deliver warm and welcoming service that stems from genuine hospitality.

We never take our business for granted and as such it is always rewarding and encouraging to get such kind feedback so once again - Thank You!

Kindest regards,

Hoddesdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We spent 2 nights at the hotel for my birthday weekend. The first pleasant surprise was that we got upgraded to a Superior King suite from a Superior King room. I assume this was because the hotel was fully booked for the Gold Cup for the following nights. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The suite was great, lovely clean rooms and a fantastic shower. There were nice touches like cookies and water, they were very much appreciated by my partner. The only let down for me was the restaurant. We had one dinner in the Grill bar, it was rather cold and not very cosy. My meat was overcooked and quite sinewy for a veal steak and I found it rather difficult to eat. On the plus side, the sorbet was heavenly. Breakfast was good, especially the selection of continental breakfast, although the cooked breakfast was a bit disappointing. I had a treatment in the spa, which was nice enough, but certainly not worth the money. I paid nearly twice what I would normally pay elsewehere. Overall, I didn't feel I got value for money even with the upgrade.

Dear Makkancs,

I am pleased you found Cotswold House Hotel and Spa a nice place to stay.

We were disappointed to hear however you had a meal that was below par against our usual exceptional menu dishes. This is certainly not the norm and Chef and I sincerely apologise.

Our Spa treatments usually get fantastic reviews and using one of the worlds most exclusive and premier spa products, Le Sultane de Saba, certainly adds greatly to the quality of the treatments. As such is very rare our guest percieve that they do not get value for money from de Saba treatments and I am sorry you felt this was the case.

I do appreciate you feedback hoewever and as a team we always use such feedback to improve our business where we feel we can.

Gloucester, UK
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed at the hotel for our wedding anniversary having previously stayed there 20 years ago, There was a warm welcome, the room was large and light with a good view of the garden. A nice touch were the cookies waiting for us when we arrived. We had a very enjoyable stay but there were a few things that disappointed us. The spa was very crowded, there were no spare lockers in the female changing room and no spare loungers by the pool. As there was a wedding at the hotel the lounge/bar area was closed to residents so there was nowhere to sit during the afternoon, and nowhere to sit before going to the restaurant. As a result we had to go to the hotel next door to have a drink before our meal. The food in the restaurant was ok at best, my wife is vegetarian and there was only one available choice. Portions were on the small side, especially the cheese and biscuits. Also the restaurant was very cold, we were sitting by the door and I had to get up several times to shut the door. We and other diners asked for the radiators to be turned up but that didn't happen. We also felt that we were being rushed in the restaurant, when you stay away you want to make the evening meal an experience but there was little time between courses and we were finished in just over an hour, Overall the hotel was very welcoming and friendly, and the breakfast was good. We would stay at the hotel again but would not eat in the Cotswold Grill restaurant next time and would check if there was a wedding on before we booked.

1 Thank jdfre123
Dear jdfre 123,

Its good to know you found the hotel a lovely place to stay and we are certainly lucky to be located in the heart of the Cotswolds.

I must apologise however about the areas we fell short of our usual high standards of service. This goes totally against the grain of they way all of our guests are usually looked after from the moment they step though the door of this wonderful hotel.

Your helpful feedback has certainly assisted in reminding my team and I that we can occassionally get things wrong and again I am sincerely sorry you had to experience such shortcomings during your stay.

I do hope you may visit us again so that you may experience the usually very high standards we are always so proud to deliver.

With kind regards,

Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

My Husband and i stayed here for a short stay for my birthday. On our arrival at reception we were greeted by a lovely lady called Petra ,who made us feel very welcome .Petra showed us to our room which was up graded which was a lovely surprise. Our room was very nice over looking the hills, Breakfast was very nice and we also had an evening meal in the Grill room which was also very well presented . The spa was a lovely treat really enjoyed relaxing there after our trips out around the Cotswold's. I had a hot stone massage which was wonderful would recommend it .All in all we had a lovely peaceful relaxing time .We shall definitely be returning to Cotswold House :-))

Dear ElaineF,

The Team and I are so pleased we made your birthday stay so special. The spa team always deliver fantastic treatments so it is good to know this contirbuted to your wonderful birthday treat!

We hope to see you long before your next birthday so we can pamper you all over again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chipping Campden
#2 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
Buckland Manor
Buckland Manor
#1 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Cotswold House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!