Chipping Campden is a very pretty town so we were hoping for a lovely authentic Cotswold hotel - and the fact that this establishment incorporates "Cotswold House" in its name somehow made us think that it would be special - and it wasn't !!
Ideally positioned in the centre of town And housed in beautiful buildings, our initial impressions were good but once we got to our room we started to see an older, worn out interior.
The positives are that the hotel is set in lovely gardens and has a spa (which we didn't use)
The negatives are that despite comments from the manager on many posts below that there is renovation work going on, we didn't see any. The plumbing system is a disaster. During a shower the water will just stop - completely - so you stand there, all soaped up and after 30 or 40 seconds the water will start again. Also, every now and then there is a blast of cold water.
If this occurred at a run done B & B you would, put up with it but when we are paying a lot, we expected better.
I think establishments make a big mistake in advertising "luxury" and "award winning" because they set expectations that really disappoint when they cannot deliver. The promotion of their restaurant as "the very best in modern British cooking" - in our view the Cotswold Grill fell well below this mark. Pretty plain pub type food - inexperienced waiters and just middle of the road decor. Certainly not chic or contemporary.
Overall, it is comfortable and well located. But the pricing and the expectation built up by their advertising will generally disappoint and on that basis they are certainly over-promising and under-delivering
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This award-winning stylish hotel and spa in the heart of Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire, will appeal to discerning travellers visiting the Cotswolds, looking for tranquility, sublime comfort, exceptional food and a stunning spa. The contemporary style makes Cotswold House and Spa one of the most admired boutique hotels in the Cotswolds. With an idyllic location, flexible mix of spaces and immaculate service, Cotswold House is the perfect venue for board meetings, away-day training and corporate events. Whatever your plans - whether you're wanting a longer stay to explore the Cotswolds and Stratford-upon-Avon, a romantic weekend away, a well-deserved break in the Cotswolds with family and friends, a Cotswold conference or Cotswold wedding - Cotswold House and Spa is the perfect location. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Hotel.de, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HRS, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Cotswold House Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cotswold House Hotel Chipping Campden
- Cotswold Hotel Chipping Campden
- Cotswold Chipping Campden
- Cotswold House Hotel & Spa Chipping Campden, Cotswolds