“Just OK !!”

Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Melbourne, Australia
“Just OK !!”
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Chipping Campden is a very pretty town so we were hoping for a lovely authentic Cotswold hotel - and the fact that this establishment incorporates "Cotswold House" in its name somehow made us think that it would be special - and it wasn't !!

Ideally positioned in the centre of town And housed in beautiful buildings, our initial impressions were good but once we got to our room we started to see an older, worn out interior.

The positives are that the hotel is set in lovely gardens and has a spa (which we didn't use)

The negatives are that despite comments from the manager on many posts below that there is renovation work going on, we didn't see any. The plumbing system is a disaster. During a shower the water will just stop - completely - so you stand there, all soaped up and after 30 or 40 seconds the water will start again. Also, every now and then there is a blast of cold water.

If this occurred at a run done B & B you would, put up with it but when we are paying a lot, we expected better.

I think establishments make a big mistake in advertising "luxury" and "award winning" because they set expectations that really disappoint when they cannot deliver. The promotion of their restaurant as "the very best in modern British cooking" - in our view the Cotswold Grill fell well below this mark. Pretty plain pub type food - inexperienced waiters and just middle of the road decor. Certainly not chic or contemporary.

Overall, it is comfortable and well located. But the pricing and the expectation built up by their advertising will generally disappoint and on that basis they are certainly over-promising and under-delivering

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank PeterR931
ManagerCHHotel, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Peter R,

Our refurbishment company is called Simply Drapes and they are starting the first 5 bedrooms in July. They are based in London and are listed on the internet. So I assure you the refurbishment is taking place. In addition to this we have had the grounds and gardens completely revamped this year as well as the hot tubs and some [public areas. Being a small business we have to do things gradually and in stages so I assure you we have been doing a lot of work to get the hotel back to the highest levels. The grill food is designed to be brasserie style so your critique on this is correct. Fine dining menu is served in the Dining Room which opens Thursday/Friday and Saturdays.

I am however more concerned that your shower just stopped! I am not aware of such issues and this is certainly not a normal or regular occurrence and has not ever been reported before. I am looking into this and your feedback in this matter has been very helpful.

Regards,

Michael Obray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here this last weekend & at £520 a night I expected more. We stayed in the Hidecote room which has a hottub, the room itself was adequate with a large bed, full length mirror, table and chairs and the bathroom was sizeable.

But, there was large crack in the ceiling of the shower. The tap dripped constantly. Toileteries were not refreshed for our second night. The Bang and Olfson TV only had the standard channels, all of which were grainy. The decking around the hotub wasn't secure, not all the lights worked, the cover was worn and very tatty & it was difficult to see the control panel as it was crack and half missing.

We called several times for room service but the phone was never picked up. We had to go down in person to ask for coffee as there wasn't any regular coffee in our room, only decaf. Because of this we didn't use the spa facilities (they too didn't pick up the phone or answer emails ahead of our stay).

There are plenty nicer places nearby to stay.

6 Thank TheSilkyOne
ManagerCHHotel, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear SlikyOne,

Sadly your experience as you have reported it is a significant departure from the norm. I will not elaborate or defend Cotswold House in response to your review as I have given my assurance that I would contact you personally.

I am only sorry you chose to post this (which is a very rare two out of five and totally against the grain according to other guests feedback) on TripAdvisor especially with regards to the hot tub suite which is a very popular room and is enjoyed by many guests.

I shall be in contact and respond to your review via another means as I have been requested to.

Yours in good faith,

Michael Obray
Cotswold House Hotel.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights, and upon arrival were shown the smallest room I have ever been shown to in a hotel! It barely had room to move. My husband and I were shocked as we had paid a fair amount of money to stay in such a small room. However, upon bringing this up with the staff, and several conversations, we were assigned a slightly larger room.
Overall, the hotel is in a good location in the centre of the village, with the shops and restaurants within walking distance. The breakfast was of a decent quality. The spa was nice as well.
I would recommend this hotel as long as there is a guarantee on a decent sized room, rather than one which literally is taken up by the bed!

Room Tip: Room 5 is good, room 22 was tiny
2 Thank KamOnHerTravels
Dear KamOnHerTravels,

As you did not like the room you booked art the rate it was sold i.e. a Petite Double I am delighted you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade to a larger room at no additional expense. That is the type of service we try to give our guests at every opportunity to ensure they have a pleasant stay and I am pleased you were afforded the same courtesy.

I am also pleased you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

Best regards,

Michael
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We've stayed at this hotel on three occasions in the last 10 years but next time we will choose somewhere else. That's because we got the distinct impression this time that they are cutting back on staff and maintenance and its beginning to show. The gardens are still lovely but a couple of the beds needed urgent weeding. Some of the bedroom furniture is in need of upgrading or replacing. The staff are just not "on the ball" so it takes two phone calls rather than one to get any action. A dead spider in the bathroom on our arrival and a welcome letter to a previous guest are sloppy we think. That said the building and location are great and the place has a nice relaxed atmosphere. The Spa was pretty good and the food in both the grill and the main restaurant was of a very good standard although the main restaurant was only half full on a Friday night and lacked atmosphere.

Room Tip: We stayed in Grevel suite at £400 a night and the actual bedroom part was very small which was disap...
2 Thank ollie1952
ManagerCHHotel, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Ollie1952,

I am sorry you did not enjoy your whole experience at Cotswold House. I am not sure why we may have been short staffed during your stay as this is very exceptional and is not, as you can see from other recent TripAdvisor reports, the norm. Sadly it also contradicts the general feedback we usually receive. You may have caught us on a bad day and if so I truly apologize that we seem to have let you and ourselves down here.

Further to your other helpful comments you will be delighted to know that we are in the process of refurbishment where required and the new maintenance team have made significant improvements to the overall aesthetics of the hotel over the past 6 months. The hotel generally has a charming and relaxed stately country house atmosphere to it. Similarly the grounds and gardens are now looking exceptionally beautiful and are enjoyed by many local town folk, day visitors and our Hotel Guests.

Thank again for taking the time to write your valuable feedback.

Best regards,

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I enjoyed two lovely nights at this hotel very recently. I was staying for business reasons. The room was lovely, full of character, warm (in fact too warm, as I slept with the window open), cosy and clean. It was a petite double so enough room for one. As the hotel is right in the centre of Chipping Campden it's within easy reach of the pubs, and tea rooms.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Rupal937,

it is wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed your recent conference and stay with us as a Corporate Delegate. We are a relaxing leisure hotel with an award winning Spa that happens to do Corporate Events, Conferences and Delegate stay exceptionally well so you get the best of both worlds!

It is also a big advantage that we are lucky enough to be situated in one of the prettiest villages in Britain and yet remain very accessible.

Thank you again for taking the time to write such a lovely review.

Kindest regards,

Ewyas Harold, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Small pool, small spa. Not quite what we expected size wise. Booking confusion on entrance. Bubbles in pool not working. Changing rooms beyond ridiculous on the size. Cannot accomodate the amout of people they deem suitable to let in. Treatment good but facilities a let down. Would have been ok if limited to our group of 7. Shame as lovely atmosphere, beautiful location, relaxing treatment rooms.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Cathrc4,

The Spa has won numerous awards both for design and operations and I fear perhaps we were a victim of our success in this case.

As you can see from numerous and recent spa reviews your experience was an exception and not the norm and the team in the spa and I are sincerely sorry you did not enjoy it.

Kind regards,

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for one night and it was a lovely hotel, the only negative was that the night we stayed was when they had their festival on and it was very noisy. All credit to the hotel the upgraded our room to a little cottage at the back so we would not be disturbed to much with noise. It was absolutely beautiful and we really enjoyed staying in there my 10 year old daughter was blown away with the fact that the was a TV in the wall in the bathroom. We stayed B&B and the breakfast was very nice and plenty to chose from. I would have liked to have seen a little more of Chipping Campden, and if we get chance to go there again I would stay at this hotel again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear EJ13121,

It was really good to hear that you enjoyed your night stay at Cotswold House Hotel.

I understand you stayed over on the night of the Dover's Games which, being a 600 year old tradition of the Cotswolds is partly celebrated in the old Town Square and which happens but once a year.

I am very pleased we managed to get you into a comfortable room away from any disturbance especially seeing as the room we moved you to had a TV in the bathroom to impress your daughter (phew!).

Please do join us again and we will ensure you get an equally lovely room on the next occasion. After all, we have to keep impressing the important people in the family!!

Kindest regards,

Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,388 reviews

Been to Cotswold House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!