“Very nice” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Harare Province, Zimbabwe
“Very nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

What great service,the staff were very welcoming and helpful. Thank you Gareth and Lee you 2 are happy helpful and polite young men.
The rooms can do with a little upgrading but still was nice
The breakfast was good and again very friendly staff.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerCHHotel, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for your short but very sweet review. Your kind comments about Gareth and Lee epitomise the service ethos at Cotswold House Hotel.

So see you again soon we hope!

Kind regards,

Michael and Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Stratford upon Avon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

I can't praise the hotel and all the staff at Cotswold House Hotel enough. Having read some of the reviews I as a little wary but all that disappeared once I'd stepped in to the hotel and was greeted by the receptionist. We stayed for 2 nights and dined in both the grill and dining room. The food and service was amazing. The bedroom was very comfortable and we had everything we needed.

Spent a couple of hours in the spa on our 2nd day and felt truly relaxed after my treatments. The hotel was also a great base for exploring the surrounding villages and nearby Stratford upon Avon. Will definitely be visiting again.

Would definately stay again and I will be recommending the hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AliceRoberts49
Dear AliceRoberts49,

We really appreciate you kind review and its very pleasing for all of us at Cotswold House Hotel to know we have made your stay so special. That's what we love doing best and getting it right no matter how many times is always very rewarding for the team.

I am pleased you ate in both restaurants and experienced Head Chef's exceptional food on two different levels too.

Pleased to hear you loved the spa, it is a wonderful facility we are able to offer our guests and the Spa Team are well trained and deliver exceptional treatments .

Please do come back soon to revisit us and we will ensure you have another wonderful experience.

Best regards,

Bath
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

..relaxing stay at the Cotswold House Hotel. It's a real gem in Chipping Camden. It looks like a small townhouse hotel from the front but has lovely cottages and fantastic hidden gardens at the rear that go back to the Spa and off road parking. The weather was kind so we chilled in the gardens early evening and then had dinner in the Dining Room, all very Modern British and beautifully cooked and presented. We had to leave earlier than we would have liked to in the morning but had an early swim in the Spa and a great light breakfast..nothing not to like really, we'll definitely return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear NGSBath,

It is really good to hear that yu enjoyed the full extent of what Cotswold House Hotel has to offer, lovely rooms, peace and tranquility, an exceptional location, and wonderful grounds and gardens (even better when the sun is out!).

We certainly do hope you will be back soon and if it's winter time there's always the welcoming atmosphere of the hotel and cosy fire places to warm you!

We look forward to seeing you again.

Best regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Just right . A hotel that met the moment . My wife and I enjoyed a great few days in the Cotswolds What a great location and venue to stay. Super little Cottage rooms and great resturant.
We treated ourselves to the Spa . Another great day relaxing
Will be back next year

Room Tip: cottage rooms
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ian H
Dear IanH,

Thanks for writing this kind review.

We are delighted to have made your stay a memorable one and glad you both enjoyed every moment of it!

With kind regards,

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I visited the spa with my mum as a treat for her birthday and was rather disappointed. On arrival the small spa area was so busy that there wasn't a lounger for us by the pool. The relaxation room is nothing but a room with nothing particularly relaxing about it (especially not the bright white flashing Christmas tree style lights in the corner). The changing rooms needed a good clean - grubby doors, fluff, dust and hair. The two shower cubicles were not draining properly and so you end up standing in dirty water from both your shower and your neighbours. I was quite glad it was my mum showering next door and not a stranger but it was not pleasant. My mum and I both booked in for massages. The massage itself was fantastic and my therapist was very professional and friendly, however the music system in the room had broken so instead of enjoying a massage listening to relaxing music I got the sound of cars driving past, people talking and walking around in the carpark outside. A couple of times I popped to reception to enquire about things but there was only one receptionist working at a time who was either busy on the phone or not even there. The spa isn't really set up for spa days, more as just an add on to the hotel for guests. I would not recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RK2418
ManagerCHHotel, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear RK2418,

Looking at your past reviews I see you set very high standards for yourself and I am truly sorry we were not able to meet these standards on your recent visit. It appears we were the victims of our own success on the day you visited as being such a popular and well regarded spa we do get busy and on occasion you may find the pool loungers all taken which is why we put additional loungers on the terace in summer.

You are right though, the spa is a magnificent added facility for bothHotel Guests and Day Visitors alike.

Our chagerooms sometimes experience high volumes on busy days but are always monitored and kept in good order. I am sorry you felt they were grubby but not wishing to contradict you, I personally do frequent inspections and I always find them clean to a high standard that we usually expect of ourselves so again I am sorry you feel this was not the case during your visit.

However as we take all feedback very seriously I have passed this onto the Head Housekeeper who will ensure if there was a blip it is very quickly rectifiersd so that as usual, normal high standards are resumed.

Best wishes,

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Chipping Campden is a very pretty town so we were hoping for a lovely authentic Cotswold hotel - and the fact that this establishment incorporates "Cotswold House" in its name somehow made us think that it would be special - and it wasn't !!

Ideally positioned in the centre of town And housed in beautiful buildings, our initial impressions were good but once we got to our room we started to see an older, worn out interior.

The positives are that the hotel is set in lovely gardens and has a spa (which we didn't use)

The negatives are that despite comments from the manager on many posts below that there is renovation work going on, we didn't see any. The plumbing system is a disaster. During a shower the water will just stop - completely - so you stand there, all soaped up and after 30 or 40 seconds the water will start again. Also, every now and then there is a blast of cold water.

If this occurred at a run done B & B you would, put up with it but when we are paying a lot, we expected better.

I think establishments make a big mistake in advertising "luxury" and "award winning" because they set expectations that really disappoint when they cannot deliver. The promotion of their restaurant as "the very best in modern British cooking" - in our view the Cotswold Grill fell well below this mark. Pretty plain pub type food - inexperienced waiters and just middle of the road decor. Certainly not chic or contemporary.

Overall, it is comfortable and well located. But the pricing and the expectation built up by their advertising will generally disappoint and on that basis they are certainly over-promising and under-delivering

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank PeterR931
ManagerCHHotel, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Peter R,

Our refurbishment company is called Simply Drapes and they are starting the first 5 bedrooms in July. They are based in London and are listed on the internet. So I assure you the refurbishment is taking place. In addition to this we have had the grounds and gardens completely revamped this year as well as the hot tubs and some [public areas. Being a small business we have to do things gradually and in stages so I assure you we have been doing a lot of work to get the hotel back to the highest levels. The grill food is designed to be brasserie style so your critique on this is correct. Fine dining menu is served in the Dining Room which opens Thursday/Friday and Saturdays.

I am however more concerned that your shower just stopped! I am not aware of such issues and this is certainly not a normal or regular occurrence and has not ever been reported before. I am looking into this and your feedback in this matter has been very helpful.

Regards,

Guildford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here this last weekend & at £520 a night I expected more. We stayed in the Hidecote room which has a hottub, the room itself was adequate with a large bed, full length mirror, table and chairs and the bathroom was sizeable.

But, there was large crack in the ceiling of the shower. The tap dripped constantly. Toileteries were not refreshed for our second night. The Bang and Olfson TV only had the standard channels, all of which were grainy. The decking around the hotub wasn't secure, not all the lights worked, the cover was worn and very tatty & it was difficult to see the control panel as it was crack and half missing.

We called several times for room service but the phone was never picked up. We had to go down in person to ask for coffee as there wasn't any regular coffee in our room, only decaf. Because of this we didn't use the spa facilities (they too didn't pick up the phone or answer emails ahead of our stay).

There are plenty nicer places nearby to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank TheSilkyOne
ManagerCHHotel, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear SlikyOne,

Sadly your experience as you have reported it is a significant departure from the norm. I will not elaborate or defend Cotswold House in response to your review as I have given my assurance that I would contact you personally.

I am only sorry you chose to post this (which is a very rare two out of five and totally against the grain according to other guests feedback) on TripAdvisor especially with regards to the hot tub suite which is a very popular room and is enjoyed by many guests.

I shall be in contact and respond to your review via another means as I have been requested to.

Yours in good faith,

Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,357 reviews

Been to Cotswold House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!