“Top class friendly service”

Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Reviewed 31 January 2011

The hotel is located bang in the centre of the historically picturesque Chipping Campden in the heart of the Cotswolds. The hotel inside has been tastefully modernised recently to a high standard with a particularly well appointed beauty spa. It does however retain lovely open fires & comfortable sofas. The service in the hotel & restaurant was excellent. The food portions were smallish but tasty, with a wide wine selection.

• Stayed: January 2011
There are newer reviews for Cotswold House Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 16 January 2011

We spent a very pleasant and relaxing weekend in this stylish and very welcoming hotel. We loved our bedroom-it was cosy and very comfortable and quiet.
We ate in the hotel's restaurant on both nights and were very happy with the food. It was well prepared and nicely served.
I used the Spa which was beautiful and enjoyed my treatments - a facial and a full body massage.
All in all a very enjoyable weekend.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank connell66
Reviewed 30 December 2010

My partner arranged a surprise two night stay to celebrate my 40th birthday, the hotel kindly arranged a birthday cake as a surprise after dinner. We ate on the first night at the Noel Arms which is across the road and owned by the same people. We had a lovely time (due to my partners fantastic planning), but we were disappointed with the hotel in that it lacked 'attention to detail' in a number of areas - not the expectation from a hotel in this price bracket:-

Room - we stayed in a deluxe double (room 25), lovely views of garden and surrounding countryside, big bed and nice furnishings - sadly the bathroom is TINY. And shabby (back of the door looks like it has been wood filled by someone using a tablespoon). And the shower was intermitent with hot water. Our bathroom at home is bigger and shower is more powerful.

Food - amazing! Absolutely delicious.

Decor/ambience - we were sat next to a heating vent during dinner which was very ugly. Thought the restaurant lacked ambience - maybe this is because it is a funny shape and split into 2 areas. Decor elsewhere is nice, main staircase is very impressive.

Service - lacked the attention I would have expected. Had to ask for water glasses to be filled twice during dinner, sat with dirty plates in front of us for sometime, I ordered a Baileys coffee and ended up with some kind of Baileys cocktail, which was very nice but not what I ordered. Bar man was obviously new and was receiving on the job training (in a very loud and patronising manner), English was not his first language and he struggled to understand requests.

Spa - sadly the pool was out of order so that left just a steam room to use prior to our treatments. There is no shower pool side to use post steam room, so had to go back into ladies changing room to have cold shower. Better facilities at local David Lloyd gym. Dirty glasses left on side tables on the poolside. I was supposed to have 2 hours of treatments but I was changed and back in the hotel room in under 2 hours so was short changed somewhere (wasn't wearing my watch). I could hear therapist stifling yawns during massage. Nice big heated couch though.

Maybe I am just fussy, but when you pay an awful lot of money for this type of hotel everything should be perfect and have that wow factor, sadly it didn't.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2010

My fiance and I were looking for a place to elope and Cotswold House looked beautiful from the website. We communicated mostly with the hotel via email for booking the room for the wedding and the hotel room for the weekend. Service was excellent before we arrived. I did however worry that our 2 person wedding would not get the special attention that a larger affair would have, but I was pleasantly surprised to find exceptional service upon arrival and throughout the weekend.
We arrived on a Friday afternoon, were shown to junior suite #11 - the room was beautifully decorated and modern. The king bed was comfy and sheets were quality. There was a huge couch in front of the fire, was a good place to relax together. We had a patio overlooking the gardens, which are very lovely and have very interesting garden art. The bathroom was AMAZING! Steam shower with various colored lights, the largest bathtub I have ever been in, could easily fit 2 adults with extra space. All of the extra little things made the room even more special: complimentary mini bar (which they did refill) pillow menu, lovely toiletries, bathrobes, slippers, CD/DVD player with movies at the front desk, turn-down service (they lit your fire as well!!), tv that you could watch from the couch or bed and a tv in the bathroom. The room service breakfast was delicious and brought exactly on time. The food in Hicks was exceptional, all 3 courses!
For the wedding, they upgraded the room where we were having our service to the room they serve lunch, rather than the Montrose Bar. We did not decorate the room at all, but the staff decorated with flowers and candles, it was a beautiful touch they just did on their own. The staff attended to us with so much care and thoughtfulness, even though we were not having a large event. After the ceremony they allowed us to dine alone in that room instead of in the restuarant, which was perfect to have a wedding dinner on our own, but not in our room. The staff even took pictures for us!! The service was the best we have ever had, and we travel quite often world-wide. The gardens were a beautiful background for wedding pictures. For larger events, I would suggest an outside wedding in the gardens!
I was surprised to see some of the ratings on TripAdvisor, especially where people commented on the spa being at the other end of the garden and having to walk there. The gardens are beautiful and the walk isnt very far. The hotel is in the center of Chipping Camden (which is a lovely place to be, around all of the shops), with only so much space to expand. I would much rather take a lovely walk through the gardens than have to find a spa elsewhere.
I would suggest this hotel to anyone looking to have a beautiful, relaxing time away. I consider myself to be very picky, and I couldn't find any faults with Cotswold House. We cannot wait to return!

1  Thank sldc_905
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Stayed for a relaxing weekend - we paid 475 for two nights including tax and breakfast - we did go just at the start of the school holidays which may have inflated the price. We had room 25 in the main house which is a king deluxe and overall the bedroom was of a good standard. Nice view, carpets though could do with a clean and the bathroom was tired and in need to a re-fit as well as being very small, a little bit of mould here and there and the shower screen didn't fit properly against the bath, I would have expected better standards of a hotel at this price. The hotel itself is lovely and breakfast is excellent. The location is good, we enjoyed what we saw of Chipping Campden and would recommend visiting the nearby Falconry (this was excellent). We both had a treatment in the spa, one slight niggle is that there were only 6 lounger beds around the pool and I was told by one member of staff in the spa that we had to pay for them. When I questioned this with another member of staff I was told this was nonsense. I also don't think that 6 beds is enough as there were far more people in the pool area then seating and you have to walk outdoors to get to the spa from the hotel (its at the back of the carpark) so if you finish your treatment feeling relaxed you then have to trek across the garden and carpark in the cold to get back to your room. Overall a good experience but considering the price I think there are better places to stay.

Reviewed 18 October 2010

We stayed here for one night and did really enjoy ourselves. The problem with such a high price for a small hotel (£210 for a standard room, B&B) is that you expect perfection.

First - the room. I think it had been fairly recently decorated, but the finishing was a bit below par and both the bath and sink were damaged and had been repaired badly. The bed was comfortable though and the pillow menu was a nice touch, although we were happy with the ones already in the room. Our room (No.1) had a door which tried to open every time the communal doors were opened, leading to a noise of the door opening and shutting. It could have been very worrying if I had been by myself, as the door was not visible from the bed.

Second - breakfast. Food was good, service was polite but forgetful. Toast had to be returned as they took so long to bring the butter (after we had to ask for it) it was stone cold. Muesli was excellent, bacon was fatty. Took one hour for breakfast - and that was not our choice. So, hit and miss.

Third - communal areas and grounds. We had a dog with us, and for £15 supplement expected there to be one room apart from the hotel reception where we could sit with her. Unfortunately not. Grounds were lovely.

Overall - I would return to the hotel in a shot if the price was a little lower. It was not quite worth the money.

Reviewed 18 October 2010

We recently stayed at The Cotswold House and can recommend it completely. Our room was lovely - very up to date, clean, spacious, fantastic bathroom with luxury bath products. The extra touches were good as well, such as free mineral water in the minibar (and we were asked if we wanted more when the turn down service was due) and a 'pillow menu' to make sure you have the right pillows. We really couldn't fault it at all and my husband and I have stayed in some much more expensive places than here. The restaurant, Hick's, was also great - excellent food, some of the best we have eaten and the service was friendly and knowledgeable. Would definitely stay there again as we didn't get to use the newly opened Spa!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
#2 of 6 in Broadway
Buckland Manor
Buckland Manor
#1 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Cotswold House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!