“Comfortable, small hotel”
Review of Lygon Arms Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chipping Campden
Lygon Arms Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Comfortable, small hotel”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed in room 1. Which is a superior room overlooking the road. I was worried that it would be noisy; but at the time of booking Donna assured me that it wouldn't be and it wasn't. This is a characterful room with some exposed Cotswold stone. Plenty of storage and an Iron and ironing board in the wardrobe. There was tea and coffee making faciltites, bottled water and a small selection of fresh fruit in the fridge. The bathroom was a decent size and had a bath with a shower over. There was a fully enclosed shower screen, so there were no leaks. Shower pressure was typical of many hotels, by that I mean that it was acceptable but no full power shower pressure. Everything was spotlessly clean. If I was being super critcal I would have to say that the bed sagged a little and the extractor fan didn't work in the bathroom.

The breakfast was very good and the selection of fresh fruit truly impressive. Lots of choice of fruit juice.

The service was pleasant but unobstrusive. I would definitely stay here again.

We stayed for a weekend. For a small place, there are lots of places to eat in Chipping Campden but be warned, it is London prices. On the first night we ate at Michael's and is cost around £75 for 2. This consisted of a bottle of wine, water, the meze for 2 (at £25 each) and Greek coffee. Very nice meal, the meze would easily have served 3, we didn't finish it and I have probably never felt so full. There is a very pretty garden/patio where you can eat outside.

On the second night we ate at Caminetto. My seabass was good but we waited a very long time (1 hour and 15 mins) to be shown to our table. This place was full of locals who praised the food highly and didn't seem to mind the wait.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank minniesafrica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 July 2013

During a recent visit to the Cotswolds, we chose to eat dinner at the Lygon Arms. To start the bartender was brisk when we entered. We waited 20 minutes before a table came open and were seated. Once seated I ordered the hamburger. It was more like a meatloaf sandwich, and was not very good, I wish I had ordered another entree. The final strike was when we paid. Rather than being offered the opportunity to choose between pounds and dollars, the bartender chose dollars for us, at a much higher exchange rate than the credit card company would have charged us. This was not the worst food we've eaten, but buyer beware with Lygon Arms.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ahmonroe5
Torpoint, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We eat here often when in Chipping Campden. The atmosphere is wonderful, the food magnificent - those Black Spot Sausages are a WOW especially with thos edelectable - special! - chips and perfect 'sunny side up' fried eggs!! - but try the Meringue dessert - double WOW!! The staff are sometimes a bit curt because of their lack of conversational English but this time we were greeted and served by a very special lady wh looked after us - and Harvey our Airedale - magnificently! THANK YOU so much for a very special lunch!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Washington DC
Reviewed 18 June 2013

The Lygon Arms enjoys a central location in Chipping Campden. We stayed in room 6, a king room overlooking the street. Very spacious room with a mini-fridge and a large bathroom with soaking tub. You'll hear the occasional car pass by in the night, especially if you leave the window open for fresh air. We walked to Huxley's and Caminetti's in town, and had drinks at the Lygon Arms pub, which was filled with local folks. A lovely stay in the Cotswolds.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Los Gatos, Ca
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights. My first love was the tiled bathroom, I soaked in the bath within 1 hour of checking in. Looking at the lovely old windows from our bed at night, softly lit by the town's streetlight, I felt like Wendy in Peter Pan.
The room was comfortable and beautiful, the breakfast (included) was incredible, and the staff was so friendly and helpful.
Right in town, within walking distance to shops, churches, fields, I have only been back a week and am yearning to return.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Stayed there this past weekend for a short break with my husband and 2 kids (5 and 2 yrs). We stayed in one of the Courtyard Suites and the staff were helpful when booking & when we got there. They had a bed for my 5 year old and separate cot for my 2 year old. The room was spotless - I am one to carry Dettol wipes everywhere with me and I couldn't fault the room or bathroom. We ate dinner at the attached pub (Steak, Stilton & Ale pie was out of this world. All their beef dishes looked amazing. Kids ate lasagne - my 5 year old said it was the best he'd ever had) and had a massive breakfast the next morning. The hotel staff were friendly and bent over backwards to help us with whatever we needed. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
England
Reviewed 30 April 2013

2nd stay at this fabulous hotel. We had a courtyard room with a really comfy bed, Jacuzzi bath and shower, dressing gowns, good complimentary toiletries, fluffy towels changed daily, under floor heating, good selection of hot drinks, bottled water, fruit in a little fridge and much more. The breakfasts were incredible and if you manage one you won't need lunch! We were served by Donna who could not have been more helpful and friendly and is great on tourist advice! Evening meals in the bar were first class with enormous portions of locally produced food. The beef from the owners farm was really special. This is a great base for touring the Cotswolds or for local walks. There are so many places to visit within a few miles radius and you really couldn't stay anywhere more pleasant. Thank you Mr and Mrs Potter, we will be back!

Room Tip: Choose a courtyard room, they really are very different!