“Beautiful Hotel”
Review of Lygon Arms Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chipping Campden
Lygon Arms Hotel
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Hotel”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Had two nights in Sept, upgraded on arrival to main hotel superior room with small annexe with chairs and second tv. This was a lovely and comfortable room. The staff are excellent and the hotel is every bit as special as it is described by most people. Old world charm and history in a lovely village setting!

Room Tip: Our superior room was first class although I would expect the other rooms to be equally good.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I was booked into the hotel for 2 nights as I was attending a training course nearby, my admin clerk who made the booking made a point of telling me that the hotel had received good reviews. After my experience in the hotel I have to say that the reviews must be for some other hotel.

The room I was staying in was at the front of the hotel and the noise from the bar and road below carried ensuring that I did not have a restful night's sleep on either of the days I stayed. The room itself might have been considered charming if it wasn't for the fact that it was so dark, with very inadequate, it was certainly difficult to attempt to complete any work. The reception on the television was intermittent which may not bother those staying as part of a sightseeing holiday but as lone business traveller it was somewhat annoying. I would have tried to report this issues with my room, but I only saw 2 members of staff during my stay, when I checked in and when I checked out.

As I had not made the reservation myself I wasn't aware that breakfast was included and this was not explained when I checked in (which it has been at every other hotel I have ever stayed where it was available), apparently there is a secret breakfast room somewhere on the first floor but I wasn't shown it's existence, I only became aware of the availability of breakfast when I was asked if I was not staying for breakfast when I checked out at the end of my trip.

Overall I was highly disappointed with my stay in the Lygon and I will be asking my company to not use it in the future, which considering the frequency we send delegates on training course to the area is a considerable chunk of year round business they are missing out on.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Shutt79
Minneapolis
Reviewed 16 September 2013

For starters the room was bigger than we expected. The room and bathroom were in excellent condition and very clean. The staff took us to the room explained where breakfast was served etc. Parking on the street was tough at midday as this
is a working area but they have a small car park they directed us too. The attached pub had excellent food and service. The included breakfast was very good and well staffed. Please remember part of the charm is the building is a few hundred years old so narrow stairs and uneven hallways should be expected. Bottom line is the location was great, the service excellent and the ambience exactly what we wanted. We would return without any doubt

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The Lygon Arms is on the High Street of Chipping Campden. They have about a dozen rooms that sit above/around a pub that has a solid local following. This is an older building, hundreds of years old, so it's quirky. My wife and I got a room facing the street with a king bed and stayed two nights. The room was spacious and had a very nice bathroom. It was clean, cozy, and comfortable. The only noise problems were from a few late-night returning revelers and one very loud motorcycle. Rooms more toward the back might have had less noise. We found that the front desk was usually not staffed. But if you ring the bell on the desk and wait a minute or two, someone appears and helps you with complete satisfaction.

The location is great, though Chipping Campden is so small, that it's not clear that a bad location is possible. They have parking in the back, but we found street parking without trouble.

We ate in the attached pub one night. Service was competent but not elegant. The food was very good and the local clientele was friendly and charming. Some other reviewers complain about the service in the pub. For what it's worth, my experience is that you don't eat in a pub if you want to be treated like a member of the nobility. I enjoy the informality of the pub scene, but if you want solicitous service, try one of the restaurants down the street that charges 30 pounds for a prix-fixe meal. Our service was competent, but the two women doing the serving were scrambling to keep up until the crowd thinned out a bit.

I rate the "value" to be "very good" because you get fine lodging for a fair price.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hilltopper_2
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Initially a bit apprehensive as I thought that it would be over-touristy, too corporate and a bit impersonal. However, I was mistaken: the old-world, low-beamed atmosphere was very relaxing, our 'cottage' accommodation was excellent and the breakfast was as good or better as any that I have had in most 5-star hotels. The main factor making our short stay so memorable was the quality of the staff. Nothing was too much trouble, the reception staff could not have been any more friendly or professional and everyone had the rare ability to satisfy any requirements very efficiently but at the same time appearing to be genuinely friendly.

Room Tip: Didn't try the rooms in the main building but highly recommend one of the 'cottages'.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tony S
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Great pub/hotel in one of the most beautiful towns in the UK! The rooms are fantastic and great value; especially the Courtyard Rooms. Great breakfast too. Good beer and great pub food in the lovely old bar.

Room Tip: The Courtyard Rooms are new, big, great facilities and style and great value.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed in room 1. Which is a superior room overlooking the road. I was worried that it would be noisy; but at the time of booking Donna assured me that it wouldn't be and it wasn't. This is a characterful room with some exposed Cotswold stone. Plenty of storage and an Iron and ironing board in the wardrobe. There was tea and coffee making faciltites, bottled water and a small selection of fresh fruit in the fridge. The bathroom was a decent size and had a bath with a shower over. There was a fully enclosed shower screen, so there were no leaks. Shower pressure was typical of many hotels, by that I mean that it was acceptable but no full power shower pressure. Everything was spotlessly clean. If I was being super critcal I would have to say that the bed sagged a little and the extractor fan didn't work in the bathroom.

The breakfast was very good and the selection of fresh fruit truly impressive. Lots of choice of fruit juice.

The service was pleasant but unobstrusive. I would definitely stay here again.

We stayed for a weekend. For a small place, there are lots of places to eat in Chipping Campden but be warned, it is London prices. On the first night we ate at Michael's and is cost around £75 for 2. This consisted of a bottle of wine, water, the meze for 2 (at £25 each) and Greek coffee. Very nice meal, the meze would easily have served 3, we didn't finish it and I have probably never felt so full. There is a very pretty garden/patio where you can eat outside.

On the second night we ate at Caminetto. My seabass was good but we waited a very long time (1 hour and 15 mins) to be shown to our table. This place was full of locals who praised the food highly and didn't seem to mind the wait.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in The Slaughters
Dormy House Hotel
Dormy House Hotel
#2 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Lygon Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!