“A great place to spend a saturday night”
Review of Kings

Kings
Price range: US$72 - US$72
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We had the pleasure of a great Saturday dinner in the King's Hotel restaurant. We were welcomed hospitably and had the opportunity to have a drink in the bar prior to dinner.

The main dining room is light, bright and comfortable. We had a table by the window, which provided a good breeze on a very stuffy night. The menu was sufficiently varied and had seasonal produce. An amuse bouche of cold leek and potato soup was lovely, and surprisingly good as a palate cleanser, however excessive in portion size.The starters were generally good; the seabass with thai crabcakes was light and flavoursome, the seabass was perfectly cooked. I had mackerel in a light broth with a croquette, the croquette was a little overpowering for the mackerel, however the dish was enjoyable.

A rarity for me was to select chicken for main, it was very nice. The chicken had a perfectly crisp skin served with a lovely spiced potato cake and a rich jus. My partner had the pork belly which was disappointing, the meat was dry and the belly fat not crispy (as we like it) and hence just felt like chewing fat without any flavour/texture benefit.

The desserts were really great, I had the chocolate tart with clotted cream ice-cream and fudge. Really great, but it pushed me over the edge! It was fantastic, and would recommend it as a sharing dish. My partner had the trio of apple, which I would describe as textures of apple as the flavours were the same just presented in a millefeuille, sorbet and crumble. It was enjoyable, especially the sorbet.

Dinner was overall very much enjoyed, and very well priced. Service was good, staff were attentive, however due to us being seated at the same time as a table of 5, it was a little slow at times. One of the waitresses I felt lacked polished, lots of 'plonking' thing's down and very little interpersonal skills. She was the exception, rather than the rule.

I would recommend dinner at King's if in Campden, it has good food and an enjoyable atmosphere.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The food was ok, but when paying £150 for dinner for two one does expect better service.

Upon first look, this place looks like a lovely establishment, but I wouldn't visit again.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I do not use to have above average experiences in restaurants from hotels, nevertheless I was surprised here, specially by selecting from a menu offering.

Ambience very nice, well decorated, and not noisy, something that I really appreciate.

1  Thank llepafils
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Lovely building in the centre of Chipping Campden. We ate in the bistro area rather than the more formal and more expensive restaurant. Food was tasty, service was good and excellent value. The fish cakes and venison faggots are recommended.

1  Thank Col07
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Fab food in a lovely garden on a spring Sunday. A great spot off season for a Sunday stroll in Spring. The garden is pretty and the staff were young and thoughtful checking if we needed a pud before they closed the kitchen.