“Fantastic venue”

Bistro On The Square
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro On The Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$15 - US$34
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located in the luxurious Cotswold House in the centre of Chipping Campden, Bistro-on-the-Square is the hub of the hotel, serving drinks and meals throughout the day. The more laid back sister of the elegant Fig. Restaurant, The Bistro boasts the same kitchen team, under the expert guidance of Head Chef Pasquale Russo. The Bistro has its own street entrance, an open fire and bar, as well as al-Fresco dining in the summer. Our specialty is a relaxed and informal dining experience with Sharing platters, Tapas. We have a wide menu to suit all tastes, including children's menu. We pride ourselves on the extensive range of Gins, wines by the glass and cocktails.
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Lovely food and a very exclusive restaurant. I would recommend this to anyone, whilst be a little more pricey the food and service quality was second to none.
would definately eat there again.

There are newer reviews for Bistro On The Square

Reviewed 8 April 2010

Very average menu. I had the duck with chickpeas.........not sure why now it was average. My partner had the chicken with foie gras. It was OK but not £90 worth! That was three courses each, four pints and two glasses of wine. I would have been happy to pay £60 for that quality.

Reviewed 20 March 2010

This is the first restaurant review I have ever written: I say to give you some measure of just how disappointing an experience this was.

My co-diners ordered from the deal-menu, but I ordered a la carte and so expected a little more than what I was served.

Soggy onion and gruyere tart could hardly be described as a tart. More just a chessy mess.

The duck leg cassoulet was a joke. Scraps of chorizo fried up with warmed chickpeas and what looked like a deep-fried duck leg on top. I've had better quality duck from a Chinese takeout, and again, this was simply not what it was billed as. Barely saucy, let alone a cassoulet. It would have been ok if it tasted ok, but it was so salty that I wouldn't have fed this to my dog.

We pressed on. How could they get a rum and raisin cheescake wrong?

Cold raisins in small puddles of unidentifiable left-over Christmas liquer beside a plain cheesecake. No, not a plain cheesecake, a cheesecake with a jelly surface (think pork pie jelly, not strawberry jelly) and hardly any biscuit base.

Service was fine, the setting quite pleasant, but this kind of restaurant just wouldn't survive outside a town with the name and supply of day-trip tourists of Chipping Campden.

In sum, don't go!!

Craig W, General Manager at Bistro On The Square, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2017

Dear UKGastronaut

Whilst I must apologise for any poor experience you received in back in 2010, the review is no longer relevant to the restaurant that now occupies the site. The business has changed, been re branded and is a different look, identity, staff, and menu.

We do hope you drop by some time and try again, and hopefully we will have the opportunity to show you how much it has changed and that what may have happened all that time ago (whilst still affecting our ranking) is no longer relevant to this restaurant.

I would happy to show you around, and personally oversee your visit.

Kind Regards
Craig Webb

Reviewed 6 October 2009

Wouldn't put people off going, because there is nothing really wrong here, but just misses the mark.

Reviewed 23 June 2009

We spent a week in the Cotswolds and we went twice to the Hicks and were not disappointed.Once for dinner we had a lovely meal at a reasonable price.I had a salad with goat cheese and then salmon as a main course which was properly cooked.It is a little more expensive than in a pub but it is really better.The second time was last sunday.We had a proper Sunday lunch for only 22.50 pounds for a 3 couse menu.