“After good experiences for the last 15...”

Bistro On The Square
Price range: US$14 - US$32
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff
Description: Located in the luxurious Cotswold House in the centre of Chipping Campden, Bistro-on-the-Square is the hub of the hotel, serving drinks and meals throughout the day. The more laid back sister of the elegant Fig. Restaurant, The Bistro boasts the same kitchen team, under the expert guidance of Head Chef Pasquale Russo. The Bistro has its own street entrance, an open fire and bar, as well as al-Fresco dining in the summer. Our specialty is a relaxed and informal dining experience with Sharing platters, Tapas. We have a wide menu to suit all tastes, including children's menu. We pride ourselves on the extensive range of Gins, wines by the glass and cocktails.
longsdon
“After good experiences for the last 15...”
Reviewed 8 July 2010

After good experiences for the last 15 years Monday night will be our last. We had noticed previously that all of the starters offered were cold but the main lamb dish was dreadful. Fortunately there are many other good restaurants in the Cotswold

Craig W, General Manager at Bistro On The Square, responded to this review, 3 April 2017
Dear slimlymer

Whilst I must apologise for any poor experience you received in 2010, the review is no longer relevant to the restaurant that now occupies the site. The business has changed, been re branded and is a different look, identity, staff, and menu.

We do hope you drop by some time and try again, and hopefully we will have the opportunity to show you how much it has changed and that what may have happened all that time ago (whilst still affecting our ranking) is no longer relevant to this restaurant.

I would happy to show you around, and personally oversee your visit.

Kind Regards
Craig Webb

UK
“Good if a little pricey”
Reviewed 18 May 2010

Good brasserie , a little lacking in atmosphere but definitely worth eating in.Service a little erratic , some staff are great some lack any personality at all. You can eat better for less , in a nicer enviroment in the village

Reading
“Fantastic venue”
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Lovely food and a very exclusive restaurant. I would recommend this to anyone, whilst be a little more pricey the food and service quality was second to none.
would definately eat there again.

West Yorkshire
“It was OK, nothing special! Although the service was superb.”
Reviewed 8 April 2010

Very average menu. I had the duck with chickpeas.........not sure why now it was average. My partner had the chicken with foie gras. It was OK but not £90 worth! That was three courses each, four pints and two glasses of wine. I would have been happy to pay £60 for that quality.

UK
“Awful”
Reviewed 20 March 2010

This is the first restaurant review I have ever written: I say to give you some measure of just how disappointing an experience this was.

My co-diners ordered from the deal-menu, but I ordered a la carte and so expected a little more than what I was served.

Soggy onion and gruyere tart could hardly be described as a tart. More just a chessy mess.

The duck leg cassoulet was a joke. Scraps of chorizo fried up with warmed chickpeas and what looked like a deep-fried duck leg on top. I've had better quality duck from a Chinese takeout, and again, this was simply not what it was billed as. Barely saucy, let alone a cassoulet. It would have been ok if it tasted ok, but it was so salty that I wouldn't have fed this to my dog.

We pressed on. How could they get a rum and raisin cheescake wrong?

Cold raisins in small puddles of unidentifiable left-over Christmas liquer beside a plain cheesecake. No, not a plain cheesecake, a cheesecake with a jelly surface (think pork pie jelly, not strawberry jelly) and hardly any biscuit base.

Service was fine, the setting quite pleasant, but this kind of restaurant just wouldn't survive outside a town with the name and supply of day-trip tourists of Chipping Campden.

In sum, don't go!!

Dear UKGastronaut

Whilst I must apologise for any poor experience you received in back in 2010, the review is no longer relevant to the restaurant that now occupies the site. The business has changed, been re branded and is a different look, identity, staff, and menu.

I would happy to show you around, and personally oversee your visit.

Kind Regards