“Fabulous ale and great service.”

Restaurant at The Ox
Ranked #474 of 2,295 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: US$9 - US$19
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Established in 1804, the pub derives it's name from the Georgian variety of potato, The Oxnoble. Boasting 10 en suite bedrooms, The Oxnoble is a traditional gastro pub/hotel serving excellent, modern English food sourced from the finest local ingredients. Food is served in the historic pub where you can enjoy a pint of traditional cask ale or whisky from our excellent menu, or choose from our hand-picked wine list. We are located in the Castlefield area of Manchester opposite the Museum of Science and Industry, within walking distance of the Manchester International Convention Centre and in close proximity to the MEN Area and Old Trafford - Manchester United Football Club and Lancashire Cricket ground
Hayfield, United Kingdom
“Fabulous ale and great service.”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

A group of us called in here on our way to Akbars....

We'd been in the white Lion and came out in disgust as the ale was diabolical and thinner the ditch water. It was so bad that most of us left it on the table in despair.

We apparently had the "same" Timothy Taylors Landlord in the Ox and what a difference. The ale in the Ox was smooth and full bodied.... simply wonderful and so good we stayed and had lots more. I cannot believe the difference between two pubs within 200yds of each other selling the same thing.....

I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the Ox.... nice and clean, great service... and a product to be proud of.

Safe to say we'll be back in the Ox soon.

Well done the Ox team for giving us a great evening.....

cheshire
“Cheese and onion pie - yum! ”
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

It's so bad for you but my god it's so good at the same time.! Crumbly pastry, cheese and onion filling without lots of potato to bulk it up, mash, cheese sauce and veggies. I could hardly walk up the road after that lot but my belly was well content My friend had a sarnie and chips - and raved about the chips (and the sarnie). No point having a light meal here - have pie and worry about your waistband being too tight later.

2 Thank holidayqueen21
Leeds, United Kingdom
“OMG FABULAS WONDEROUS”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

What a amazing place, and 100% value for money,.
we arrived on Sunday evening and walked into a wonderful atmosphere and smell of wonderful food, though it was busy we were dealt with instantly by a very pleasant manager, we were shown to our room (3) and it was just as pictured clean modern and all you needed for a comfortable stay.
We went down for a drink and some of that food we could smell, well I am not a roast dinner fan, but the size of those home made Yorkshire puddings that kept passing me by, I could not resist, and can I say I was not disappointed, every thing on my plate was home cooked and very yummy.
My husband was having some eye surgery at the Bridgewater hospital, the hotel is a ideal location it only took 15 mins walking and we got a taxi back £6.50 5 mins.
We stayed a further night and could not resist to have another meal, my husband had roast beef onions and gravy in fresh crusty bread and a portion of home made chunky chips, (not frozen rubbish) £7.99, I had the ox burger which consisted of a beef burger pork chorizo burger with bacon and cheese, on the menu the bun that came with it was brioche, but I am not a fan and was offered the crusty bread instead this also came with the chunky chips and a smoked relish, it was amazing £11.99.
It is a 2 min walk to the centre Deansgate is the nearest.
I would recommend this small and extremely friendly hotel to anyone, and will be recommending and talking about this place for a long time.
Roza & Steven

1 Thank roza7
waterford
“Food was good, staff were lovely, hotel needs attention!”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

1. Bar and Restaurant Review - I could not complain. The food was good and the staff were all really friendly. Really good value and a nice spot to have lunch or dinner.

2. Hotel Review - First of all I want to add the positives, the hotel room was clean, comfortable beds and the bathroom and shower were spotless and obviously were looked after. When it was quiet it was very comfortable and homely and 99% of the time I was happy to be there. But there were a few things that I wasn't so impressed with. I just want to say firstly that we expected noise in this hotel at night as it is over a pub so you can expect music and so on and that is fine, its sort of common sense that a hotel over a bar would be not as quiet as a Hilton room. The three nights we spent there were noisy but comfortable as well. The beds were comfortable but one pillow and a thin sheet could be looked at by staff! I had to ask for more pillows and buy a warm pair of pjs after the 1st night as I was freezing. The bar was noisy every night but quietened down after 12. But then later each night/morning it sounded like a herd of elephants were stamping up the stairs or across the floor below us. It was quiet odd as it was every night and sort of came in intervals every few minutes. I am not sure if it was the staff below us cleaning (I think we were over the kitchen) or if it was whoever was staying in the hotel thundering up and down the stairs? I don't know but it did wake us more than a few times and it was certainly consistent every night from about 12am to 2am. The other guests were also noisy in the early hours of morning and were less than respectful to those around them. Also, there was a STRONG odor of sewers on the 1st floor that we stayed on, it lingered in our room day and night and each morning it was sickeningly strong. I think the management should deal with this as it is very off-putting waking up to that in the morning.
However, if the owner dedicated a little bit more attention to the hotel area and made sure guests were quiet and respectful then the hotel would be a very good option for people wanting to stay around Deansgate, its a lovely central area so the value for this hotel is quiet good and this ALMOST cancels out the negatives. But I do think someone should be directly in charge of the hotel day and night rather than have the extremely busy, and young bar staff look after that AND the bar/restaurant. Also the owner should really have the sewer smell looked at. I probably would stay again for a short weekend but definitely would be asking for top floor room and bring earplugs... Otherwise it was comfortable and clean!!

1 Thank babybrowneyes83
“Great steak”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I haven't been for a while, but this is a great little pub/restaurant that little bit off the beaten track. I've thoroughly enjoyed every meal I've eaten there and think it's one of the best in Manchester for good quality, locally sourced pub food.

It's also a great place to go for just a few drinks and and is often slightly more relaxed and welcoming than its neighbour the White Lion.

Visited March 2013