“Excellent once again”

Sweet Mandarin
Ranked #451 of 2,344 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: US$20 - US$46
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Sweet Mandarin stands out on the Manchester restaurant scene for its vibrant, cosmopolitan atmosphere, modern Chinese menu and killer cocktails. Located in the chic Design House on Copperas Street, the award-winning restaurant is based on a simple philosophy: quick service, delicious pan Asian cooking and value for money. Whether you're in the mood for a memorable meal in the minimalist dining room, or after-work cocktails, celeb-spotting and Chinese tapas in the bar – this is the place for you. Working in a theatrical exhibition kitchen, the high-energy chefs use Mandarin style woks and traditional techniques to prepare classic dishes such as beef with sweet peppers and black bean sauce; Shanghai vegetables with garlic and chilli sauce; and General Tse's sweet and sour chicken
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Ate here last Friday had not booked but the lovely ladies fit us in. Fab food and wonderful service always a pleasure.

2  Thank Deborah W

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Ate here to celebrate a friends birthday. I was a little concerned about dining here because of the reviews on trip advisor, however I was pleasantly surprised. The staff were helpful, friendly and effective and we didn't feel rushed or that the service we received was slow. The food was delicious, I had volcano chicken with noodles and whilst some people complain about the price here I thought that the portion of food was huge and was actually very we'll priced. The restaurant caters for allergies and dietary requirements and has a gluten free menu and a vegan menu. I'm looking forward to returning again soon.

1  Thank ireallywanttogothere
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We saw this restaurant on Gordon Ramsay show a few years back and also wanted to visit. Decided to give it a try on Valentines Day.
The service was so bad we had to leave so didn't get to try the food. After taking our seats we ordered a drink from a very nice waitress, unfortunately that was the last we saw of her.

We were then asked by a different waitress if we were ready to order, when we politely pointed out that we had not yet been given a menu she went away and returned tossing a single and A4 piece of paper onto the table.

This contained the "Special" valentines banquet menu, apart from the fact that it was dirty, the menu didn't look special at all, no more special that the local takeaway. When she returned we asked if we could just order off the A La Carte Menu, she walked away without saying anything.

She returned a few minutes later and said "it is this menu only". We pointed out that the people on the table next do us were ordering from the A La Carte to which she replied "they have child, you are a couple, you will have the Valentine's banquet". My wife said that she didn't like the look of the banquet, to which the waitress replied "OK I will get you the bill".

I can understand on busy nights restaurant's offering a set menu but at the time we were there, the restaurant was less than 1/2 full.

We left a few minutes later. Such a shame the service was so poor because I was looking forward to tasting the food.

1  Thank Jonny8ball
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Way below average Chinese food..4/10. Never going again and would advise people to do the same. Overpriced- spent nearly £70 on meal for 2 and feel ripped off. My friend went to the toilet and came back shocked(luckily not electric shocked) as there was a pool of water on the floor and a bad leak coming from the light fitting on the ceiling. I spoke to the waitress about it and suggested they should shut the ladies cubicle as it was dangerous, she said they have complained to the people in the flat upstairs about the leak lots of times and that they won't do anything..I stressed again how dangerous it was and she walked off.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

This restaurant is quite poor. The service was very bad and the food no better than your average Chinese takeaway. I will not be going back and advise others to avoid. They appear to be dining out on some past success, possibly under different ownership or chef.

1  Thank liyzlg