“Lovely stay”
Review of ABode Manchester

ABode Manchester
Ranked #25 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 25 November 2012

We booked The night before we went for a last minute shopping trip and although the rates weren't reduced as I'd hoped when I asked if an upgrade was likely I was told yes and I wasn't disappointed. Staff on reception were warm, friendly and helpful. Breakfast was yummy however we weren't sure what to do and if we were able to use the buffet without asking so would have been nice if the waiters/waitresses had explained this to us room was very nice MOST comfy bed! Bathroom needs TLC.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SarahandJon
Sean M, General Manager at ABode Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2012

Thank you for your providing the team here at ABode Manchester with details of your recent stay with ourselves. Whilst thrilled you had such an enjoyable time I would like to apologise for any confusion caused regarding breakfast.
I do hope to welcome you back upon your next visit to Manchester and I am positive the team will address the issue kindly highlighted.
best regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,832)

Reviewed 22 November 2012

I want to love this hotel. The location is great, the rooms are really nice. Unfortunately the staff are on another planet. Checking in takes longer than visa control in a Communist country - and then you invarbialy find you've been given the wrong key to the wrong room. The food in the restaurant is passable, but can take forever to be served. Tonight I wanted to send back what I was given, but given that it took 45 minutes to arrive, I didn't have the time to wait. I was refunded the cost of my meal, but when you're hungry and you're travelling on business, what use is that?

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank mattypn
Reviewed 12 November 2012

This is the second time we have stayed here this year & it was great, again. Staff friendly & we got upgraded, which was brilliant. No noise on the 3rd floor at 7am as we experienced last time. But we liked it enough last to stay there again even though it was noisy, which speaks for itself!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel where the staff have been as friendly and courteous. The room (desirable) was stunning as was the food in the restaurant. Special praise goes to Heather on reception and our two young waiters. Would highly recommend a night here, even though you are in the city centre it was extremely peaceful.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Really good hotel with rooms that bring a alternative style. Rather than the bland clinical feel of most hotels this offers rooms with a little character.
Very helpful service.
Only negative is very noisy if staying at front of hotel

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank truecelt
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Lots of things to like - fab and comfy bed, nice room (we were upgraded) and individual, quirky styling. However, we particularly asked for a quiet room and although front desk assured us this was a quiet room, it was not. Not helped by the fact that refurbishment started at around 7:30 outside our room. We were close to stairwell so heard everyone clomping past for breakfast.

Front desk very helpful and courteous, downstairs bar / restaurant service not so good - we were ignored and were glad to escape, due to lack of atmosphere (bar). Restaurant looked well patronised.

Breakfast service ok, food was good and cooked fresh to order. Breakfast feels a bit like you are in a public cafe (which you essentially are). Good location if you want to be by Manchester Piccadilly. Easy walk into town. In summary good to very good business hotel - but for a special stay I'd say there are better in the city.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan or advocate of the predictable branded hotels that dominate the hotel market both here and abroad, but quirky hotels and similar styled concepts do carry a fair degree of risk. I booked the Abode Manchester for myself and 3 others, after trawling the Internet for a mid priced hotel well located to a venue where I was attending a function on Friday evening. Clearly, unlike purpose built 'pod' style hotels, this was clearly never designed as a hotel in its former life but retains many period features which add to its appeal.

Located moments from Picaddilly train station and close to everything I wanted to see and do, we were allocated our rooms on arrival and went to change. My room, on the 3rd floor, was larger than average with a huge bed (2 joined together in fact) and high ceilings, well equipped bathroom (with flaking paint which wasn't attractive but a very good shower which for me is far more important).

The bed was very comfortable and the pillows and bed linen good quality cotton, but what I did find odd was that the in room treats, which were chargeable, but reasonably priced were not refrigerated so in the middle of the night I had a room temperature organic orange drink that would have been altogether much nicer were it to have been chilled. Very odd.

The staff were friendly but I felt lacked the professionalism and training on the front desk that you might have expected in a Hilton or Marriott hotel and I didn't feel they were good at eye contact either. Breakfast on Saturday morning was good and reasonably priced and if I am ever stuck for a hotel in Manchester again, for 1 night, I might quite possibly stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends