“Gorgeous bed - bad breakfast!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Abode Manchester

Abode Manchester
Ranked #23 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
katenphoo
“Gorgeous bed - bad breakfast!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

I bought a package deal that included one of the superior rooms, chocolates, flowers and a three course meal in their in house restaurant. The rooms are massive and very much "loft style" the bed was possibly the biggest bed I have ever seen, probably about twice the size of my bed back home :O

Food was delicious and I'm so glad we paid for the package deal, otherwise we would probably would have eaten at Pizza Hut and missed out on a great dining experience.

There are a couple of negatives (although I would stay here again), firstly the bathroom was a bit shabby. For the kind of money you pay to stay here I felt it should be a bit more luxurious and a couple of the fittings looked dated and dirty. The other big let down for me was breakfast, why no cooked breakfast? We were served two "breakfast baguettes", natural yoghurt, cereal and some other bits and bobs by room service. It wouldn't have been so bad if the baguettes had been fresh but they came in cellophane and had obviously been microwaved - it's completely at odds with the food served downstairs.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sean M, General Manager at Abode Manchester, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide details of your recent stay with ourselves here at ABode.
Whilst delighted to read that you would wish to return, I would however like to take the opportunity to apologise for the issues raised around the breakfast offering. I can assure you that your comments will be actioned accordingly.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice now and I love it, its different and the rooms seem all to be a little bit different, lovely big comfortable beds, beautiful toiletries (not the normal chain hotel toiletries, these are unique).
I love the complimentary tray, love coffee filters.
High ceilings, peaceful, big bathrooms, well designed, comfortable.
Good breakfast, nice and relaxed and breakfast staff very helpful.
Reception ok, not great, but ok.
Bar staff, ok, not great but ok. Customer service could do with polishing a bit, its the little things, if nothing seems to much trouble, thats good, but if the staff are doing you a favour when you want to spend your money in their bar? Not saying it was bad, but could do better.
Still love the place, definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2012

The major bonus to this hotel is the size of the rooms. We booked the cheapest room and it was huge with 2 chairs, wardrobe, dressing table and a massive bed! Stylishly, but simply decorated. The bathroom was looking pretty tired and needs updating but the products provided were nice. Nice big fluffy towels and tea, coffee, biscuites etc. Overall I would say that although in a beautiful old building the hotel felt like it had been done a while ago now and was a little worn around the edges. The staff on reception were very friendly. Breakfast was nice, particularly the full English and the croissants, but don't expect Michael Caines quality food for breakfast as it wasn't amazing! Overall we had a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012

I have stayed here a few times with my fiance and its always brilliant, I love the style and decor, the bath products are lovely and its great value.
The bistro food is lovely and usually we get a meal included in our stay.
A short walk to the shops and close to the train station.
The beds here are the comfiest hotel bed iv ever slept on! I want one for my house lol, always have a brilliant sleep here. Super clean and nice tea and coffee in the room
We recently stayed across the road at the Malmaison and it wasn't a patch on abode! We really regretted trying somewhere different for our manchester visit. We will be back to abode again soon Im sure :)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sean M, General Manager at Abode Manchester, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
On behalf of the team here at ABode Manchester I would like to extend my appreciation to you for the wonderful review you submitted. The team strives to deliver exceptional service and when feedback such as yours is highlighted it generates such positivity throughout the business.
I do hope to welcome you back very soon!!

best regards
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

We have stayed here a couple of times, and always enjoyed the experience, especially the location of the hotel - very central and very convenient. Parking is in the car park across the road, which isn't an issue, but worth being aware of! Rooms are spacious and well-equipped, and the staff are happy to help with any concerns. Would certainly recommend this as a place to stay for a city break.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room that doesn't face the main street....
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

Very impressed with our room (queen size bed) spotless, comfy and spacious. Reception staff were fast, efficient and informative.

Arriving at the bar in the evening, were delighted with our waiter who took our drinks order which duly arrived. However after 15 minutes of empty glasses I decided to go to the bar to order the next round. These drinks are not cheap, we would have had more, but couldn't be bothered waiting for the service (which, by the way they charge 12% for)

There were 3 of us and as we arrived for breakfast a couple were just leaving and said they hoped we weren't in a hurry as their cooked breakfast took 45 minutes to arrive. Undeterred we entered to find a queue of people in front of us who had been waiting for between 5 and 15 minutes to be seated (there were empty tables that just hadn't been cleared) after 15 minutes when nobody had yet been seated we decided to leave and eat somewhere else this is when we discovered that all the people in front of us in the queue were from the hotel over the road. The staff were clearly busy, however you must know how many guests you have in your hotel at any one time so surely the staffing levels should be adjusted accordingly.

Have to say disappointed with the service, I must point out that this is only the level of and not the type of, as when they were actually there they were top notch - but you need more of them or perhaps someone should have re allocated them to the busiest areas to relieve the overworked ones !! Would definitely stay again, but would probably avoid the bar and the breakfast.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

Had a two night night stay at this hotel 4/5 December. I was keen to stay here instead of the other hotel on my employers "official hotel list" as I have had the great pleasure to eat at Michael Caines restaurant at Gidleigh Park Hotel, Dartmoor.

Pleasant reception staff whilst checking in. I was allocated room 302, third floor facing the front of the hotel; very clean and tidy room, however a little small for my liking. Think my room was at the budget end of the range of rooms. The room was very hot, despite it being a very cold day. I turned the radiator off, but because of the exposed heating pipes, the room stayed warm - too warm for me ! Huge windows with secondary glazing, and I discovered that if I opened the secondary panel, it was just like opening a window !

Despite the hotel being situated on a main street, it wasn't too noisy. Very conveniently situated near the Arndale Shopping Centre, trams and Piccadilly Station.

I can high recommend the room service breakfast, which was on time and excellent ! Choice of a breakfast, bacon or sausage roll, which turned out to be a huge baguette, plus cereal, fruit and a pot of tea.

Helpful staff in the bar and bistro restaurant and the Australian Shiraz was just what I needed !

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sean M, General Manager at Abode Manchester, responded to this review, 8 December 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback of your stay with ourselves here at ABode Manchester. Your comments are greatly appreciated.
Best regards